Dark Age of Camelot - Game or Sport?

M

Melachi-

Well, ok firstly let me explain something about this post. I am quiting the game but no it isn't your standard "please say bye threads", don't say bye please, thats why Ive posted it here instead of Mid/Pryd forum. It's a thread to discuss how the game has changed, and imo gone totally down-hill.

Dark Age of Camelot was my first MMORPG. Before this I had played Doom2, half-life, counter-strike, quake 2 & 3 for a little bit, and I played TFC religously for a time aswell. These games the way I played them were fun, but at the same time competetive. Good players were obviously difirent to bad players, but the competition is what drove me away, I just wanted fun, everyone else wanted to be the best. Anyway before I got into DAoC my friends did, and I used to watch em play and think, 'what a brutal game its just endless monster bashing" and it was, until I saw RvR. Then I decided to get the game. But from when I was level one, the game had started to change, buffbots started appearing, and later on SC and total RvR domination of gank squads. The game started turning competetive, and (imo) for the better, running in a gank squad was the most fun I ever had, but then there was the majord down side to the game. Time. Not all of us have hours to spend playing the game everyday, and the idiotic requirements Mythic has imposed and are currently bringing in more are what made me quit. Personally it was never fun for me to XP, other that the sometimes funny chat or the messing around, the actual monster bashing was repetetive and never exiting. Then came SC armour, another reason to back to farm the plats and the uber items, boring zzzz. Everntually I had the SC armour (though not the greatest set), and I taught right back to RvR, what I was doing a month ago with no problems. It didnt happen, I went to mpk emain, and nothing except a few guild groups buffing up, sometimes i got invited and it was the best fun. But unless I could spend hours everyday I couldnt do this myself. So i decided to roll a stealther, however with my crap pc, expensive internet, and very little cash I couldnt afford a bot, so the exping was really sanity-challenging. A month or so and it dawned on me, this game was, has and allways will be the power-gamers game, but I still played, I still taught yes one day ill be 50, and then one day ill have farmed plats for my SC, then one day ill get some cash together and get a bot and a new PC. Not gonna happen.

This game had so much potential for me, the RvR was really fun. But the requirements, such as level 50, SC, buffbot and soon TOA items are too much. Daoc stopped being a game and became a sport. It wasnt fun, you needed to work! in a game!!! to get to the level of sport.

I fear theres others out there just like me, hoping that one day they will actually be able to compete on a level ground and have fun, without walking out of xpk and getting steam-rolled by gank-group#17, or stealthing out of xpk to get destroyed by everyone because your unbuffed.

Daoc wasnt for me, but it took me over a year to find out. Is there anyone else out there who thinks the same way? Or anyone who doesnt? If so why do you enjoy the requirements imposed?

And to anyone whos thinking of starting, be warned, this game requires hours of work, just so you can get to the stage where the fun begins, unless of course you enjoy this game soley as a colourful chat room.

No flames please. for the love of god :p

R

rhemis

you summed up my feelings totally mate, its sad to see it this way now, i joined when SI was but a twinkle in Mythics eye, tbh the only thing i can blame for this Demise was the addage of Realm Abilities and Spell Crafting, after those came in, it was no longer about being lvl 50 using your epic armor, it was about PvE Farming to get the best drops to fit xxx template..and being RRxxx so you could have xxx RA's to (delete as approriate) wtfpwn/runaway/instaheal/demezz/cast on alb/mid/hib grp #xx.

Then we started getting all these elite Guilds, with guidelines like you can only be RR5+ to join. i mean WTF!! before RA's any Lvl was equal..now all of a sudden because i dont have xxx or xxx RA im not good enuff, but 2 months ago i got spammed 20 times an hour for a grp...it ruined it for me.. and tbh u cant blame players..they only work with the framework theyre given.. it was Mythic that killed it... there were other avenues to explore but they took the $$$£££ option... keep them playing longer and fuck em if theyre not getting what they expect to get...
For me, the only way to keep this game fresh is now im moving to the US Servers..and playing a Totally new realm and making new friends who know nothing about and can and will judge me on my actions..its not that UK players dont..its just GOA have made this game unplayable for me..and im not willing to line their pockets anymore, i say a farewell to all the guilds listed below for everything they have done for me whilst i played, it was because of you i lasted this long....

Vox Dei - Rure, Elahim, Adari, Samil, Rushie
Dragon Fighters - too many to recall
Rabid Badgers - Noaim, Rockcrusher, Goodwin, Bramtyr, Cerion, Zuza, Isa..and many others
M.A.A.K - Micro-alien for all your dedication to new players, you deserve a reward sweetheart!

id especially like to thank Vox Dei, you guys were my first guild on DAOC and u made me at home in Albion, even during some of my darkest personal traumas and the death of my partner you guys were family.. i always knew when i logged on i could expect silly arguments and funny conversations and stern advice..thank you.

Signing off for the last time,

Elewyth,
Minstrel, Sorc, Skald, Cleric and many many more.

M

Melachi-

Originally posted by SoulFly Amarok
Life.

Hah thats what this game is now that I think of it, you gotta work to have fun. Thats not why i bought this game tbh, games are meant to be insta fun :p

Z

Ziva

I don't think like you even though i see the changes you are referring too and also see that the game did change from when i started to play aswell (about 1.5 years ago).

However, reading your post leads me to think you want to be part of the top without too much trouble which is wrong in my point. You want a level 50 char but you don't want to xp it, you want the best SC suit but don't want to farm for it, and you want to RvR but wait till you get an invite instead of making a group yourself.

Even though i don't like buffbots myself (while owning one) and i sometimes do miss the times where everyone would just group and run out not even looking at he balance of the group i don't think the game became worse because it became more complicated. It just means people got to make more effort to become the best and that is how it should be i think. Daoc isn't a game where you just can run in, own everyone else and leave again. And like in RL, people with the best friends, most plats and all get more then others but both have the same chances of getting it with a little effort.

It's never nice to see people leave a game but reading your post makes me think this game simply wasn't what you were looking for maybe (i could be very wrong offcourse). Good luck with your next game :)

L

liste

while SC and realm abilities DID ruin alot of the casual fun-feeling, it also added content in RvR, that gave people a purpose to play. if they hadn't done it, there would be a peak population of 300 people now.

They are absolutely right in implimenting new things, making the game world more detailed, complicated etc, those who do not agree will surely be outnumbered vastly.

My personal opinion is, that SC should be harder to cap everything with, if not impossible, and RAs are a good idea except for the apparent lack of balance.

And i daresay, the reason you feel the game is in a sad state compared to when you started, is that when you started, EVERYTHING was fun! now, almost nothing is, because you (like so many others) have most likely been playing this game for too long :) (myself included :p )

W

Whoodoo_RD

From reading his post, DAoC used to be what he (and many others) wanted from an MMORPG, but the changes to the game have turned people off it.

In the old days, everyone wore dropped armour, the best they could find. Epic armour was actually worth something. One on one fights were possible, mezzes worked, Shaman were actually played as main characters and not on 2nd PCs and no one gave a frick about resists.

Now the games become more about uber drops, cash farming and who ya freindly SCer is. Not really the challenge any more for someone with an SM, or realm equivalent, and a bunch of healers.

ToA will make this worse, only the 24/7 l33t players will have the advantage. Their posse's of FotM groups will cream the MA's in the first couple of weeks, before returning to RvR and wtfp0wning all with their new abilities.

So whats next for DAoC? Thermonuclear RA's, 1 week recharge timer, 100% resist debuff, 10,000 radius AoE cold nuke? Theres not much left that cant be done.... 100% resists, any class see hidden, uber range mezzes..... the list goes on.

I see more of the old school leave daily, a few pop back only to go again, rinse and repeat. This wouldnt happen in a sport, when you retire, thats it, hang ya towel up and leave graciously. It is a game, not just teh MMORPG, but also one in RL where the challenge is to stay either in or out of the game, and try your hardest to get more out of it without going insane - and Im loosing :D

R

Roo Stercogburn

I'm going to be a bit brutal here in parts but there's a perspective to it as well.

No DAoC isn't for everyone. MMORPGs require patience. They are not roll-a-toon-kick-ass games. If you want that, you can play the games you mention Mel. Or something like Planetside, which is one of those games on a large scale. You don't have to xp or repair armour or anything. Just roll out for the combat and get on with it. You die, you release, you're back in action 60 seconds later.

I'll agree up to a point with realm abilities and spellcrafting, but only to a point. Nobody likes doing something for no reward or benefit, and while not perfect, realm abilities gave RvR a reward system for players. With Spellcrafting, Mythic took the unique stance that player made items were going to be far superior to anything in the game, something for crafters to achieve. Where realm abilities are wrong is that Mythic tried to use them to balance problems between PvE earned abilities on characters and they messed up with some wildly varying abilities between the realms. Balance the PvE given abilities, then add the RAs.

I always have a problem with people moaning about the xp system. No, its not perfect. However, you don't have to go camp somewhere safe just because its guaranteed xp. One of the things people always joke about is the number of deaths on my xp hunts - well the reason is because I won't play safe - I'm not there to play safe, I'm there to have fun. If you have an overwhelming desire to get to 50 as fast as possible DAoC is the wrong game for you. Go play Planetside. DaoC as a game is *not* just RvR - Its PvE and crafting and social interaction. If you don't like these aspects of course you're not going to enjoy the whole game.
A lot of people solely focus on levelling to 50 as fast as possible, completely forgetting that they are there to have fun before they get there. Of course camping somewhere for 8 hours straight is deadly dull. Its your choice if you're dumb enough to play the game that way :D

Regarding pick-up groups at various portal keeps... well, if you're not actually going to arrange things with people you know in advance, you don't have any right to complain you don't get a group. Thats actually just lack of preparation. Its got nothing to do with the 'state of the game' or l33t guilds. If you want fun, thats really the wrong way to go about it. Nobody is going to hand good groups to you on a plate just because the mighty you turns up of an evening. Its people you're dealing with, not robots. Arrange with some friends in advance, it isn't hard. You've shown you can organise a few things in the past Mel when you can be bothered. Rolling out for an evening's RvR is exactly the same - at least, if you want to do it right.

And the last part. This isn't a flame, but it isn't really a compliment either.

You've moaned bitterly about this that and everything from the moment you started playing DAoC both privately in game and publicly on forums. If it wasn't one thing it was another. Don't get me wrong, I think you're quite a good player, but you whine incessantly about everything and everyone. While some of the sentiments and feelings you have in your starting post may have some basis, nevertheless it limits your argument because you've done nothing but complain about DAoC from the moment you first started playing it.

It... just... never... suited... you... 100%.

And as you know from experience Mel, I have a rather low tolerance of whiners ;)

There's also some contradictions in your post. You didn't like your previous games because of the competitiveness... but you liked DAoC because RvR was competitive. Um. Maybe its me reading it wrong.

Good luck wherever you end up both in real life and in gaming. Good player, seemed to be a good enough person, just need to tone down the endless complaining :D

W

walkerb

u the same melachi as the esreality.com one?

and ye daoc rvr is very similar to the fps games in competativnes

M

Melachi-

My post wasn't written very well and alot of people havent understood me correct, my fualt though so ill explain it alot clearer.

My problem with this game was mainly the major dull time sinks, and PvE was the greatest one, its monotonous and boring, all mobs are the same just difirent skins, some nuke some dont, basically you could reskin Nisse's Lair with difirent graphics have the new experience all these add-on packs bring. I wouldnt mind PvE if it was fun, but its not, people have fun during PvE because of what they do around it, i.e. funny chat, my favourite times in PvE were those in malmo with me and Biggy, we used to try and make it fun by him pulling mad fast, and me not mezzing all the mobs, so it would be hectic, but it was fun because of me and biggy, not because of the game.

Regarding SC and uber items. I have no major problems with what these things do, its just the fact they require Time in order to get, not fun gaming experience, but time. Farming, again relates to the PvE part, would be toralable if it was interesting, but its not, its dull. And the other thing that gets at me, is that these are a requirement to RvR, you cant simply just go out and RvR in epic, you will be demolished. I dont want to be the best. I just want to have fun, without having to work for it. Remeber this is a game, it shouldnt require non fun parts. Its like the 'no-base' type missions in Command and Conquer, I hate em, because what they require is constant saving and reloading as you have to beat em by trial and error, so i cheat past these levels as they dont interest me.

Regarding Buffbots and gankgroups. Again, if i could afford a bot and a decent PC, I'd have one, no doubts. But again its simply a fact of, if you want to solo or play a stealther, its another requirement imposed. And about gankgroups, I have no problem whatsoever with them, I played in one in Maelstrom quite a bit, and it was best time I had in daoc, but I just couldnt keep up as I couldnt play all the time.

The game is dominated by the Power Gamer, infact every game is. But the advantage given to the power gamer in this game is over the top. The box should have it cleary written, near the PC specification requirements.

Fun Requirements:
Hours to spend on monotonous XPing.
Hours to spend on monotonous Farming for SC and Items.
Hours to spend power leveling your additional stat enhancer, mandatory buffbot
*New in ToA*
Now spend even more hours exping your Artifacts (with added rediculous dificulty and wait-times!)
And hours for exping your Master-Levels just so you can have fun in RvR like you were doing a month ago!

I just don't get it. Games are meant to be fun, you shouldnt have to put in work to reap the rewards, thats what normal life is about.

Regarding:
Originally posted by Roo Stercogburn
You've moaned bitterly about this that and everything from the moment you started playing DAoC both privately in game and publicly on forums. If it wasn't one thing it was another. Don't get me wrong, I think you're quite a good player, but you whine incessantly about everything and everyone. While some of the sentiments and feelings you have in your starting post may have some basis, nevertheless it limits your argument because you've done nothing but complain about DAoC from the moment you first started playing it.

It... just... never... suited... you... 100%.

And as you know from experience Mel, I have a rather low tolerance of whiners ;)

All I can say it, Rubish. This is just DAoC-Barrysworld etiquette.

Whine - Dicitionary definitions:
To utter a plaintive, high-pitched, protracted sound, as in pain, fear, supplication, or complaint.
To complain or protest in a childish fashion.
To produce a sustained noise of relatively high pitch: jet engines whining

Im giving my point of view on things in DAoC, is there some social code that I missed? "Don't like something? Don't tell us!". I was under the obviously wrong impression that this was a discusion forum, and that's what Im doing, discussing what I don't like about the game, is there a problem with that? No there isnt, but there is a problem with you obviously when it bothers you so much.

Let's be honest Roo, you still just haven't let go about that day in DF. Im so sorry I ruined your guild raid which made you angry, but I had to go, unfortunately I live in Ireland, and Internet access is very expesive. I have to priorities, and unfourtunately real life money comes before people I know over a copper wire.

M

Melachi-

Originally posted by walkerb
u the same melachi as the esreality.com one?

and ye daoc rvr is very similar to the fps games in competativnes

hehe nope, he lives in Ireland at the moment also though, I just stole his name cause it sounded good :p

R

Roo Stercogburn

I wasn't referring to DF Mel, though yeh, that was the icing on the cake. I don't think you realise just how much bad feeling you cause when you complain so much and how much of a downer it puts on everyone else.

You've probably forgotten all the times you were complaining (as usual) in guild chat and I dropped what I was doing and helped you out whether it was with xp or quests or whatever. I had more than one officer comment on it on more than one occasion. I don't think you realise you're even doing it most of the time :D

Naturally your point of view on this will be different from mine. I just decided this time I wasn't letting your usual complain-posts go without challenge.

M

Melachi-

I wasn't referring to DF Mel, though yeh, that was the icing on the cake. I don't think you realise just how much bad feeling you cause when you complain so much and how much of a downer it puts on everyone else.

You've probably forgotten all the times you were complaining (as usual) in guild chat and I dropped what I was doing and helped you out whether it was with xp or quests or whatever. I had more than one officer comment on it on more than one occasion. I don't think you realise you're even doing it most of the time :D

Naturally your point of view on this will be different from mine. I just decided this time I wasn't letting your usual complain-posts go without challenge.

You have to be kidding me, seriously. You helped me I think all of about 2 times in the game, and both times I hadnt asked. Once was outside Svas with your shaman, and the other was showing me into malmo for the first time. I really think you have me confused, as ingame I have allways been quiet, I rarely speak to anyone ingame apart from Biggy when he played, and Tasllehoff when hes online, and especially in Fedaykin I very very rarely spoke in /gu because I didnt know anybody except for Blackdeath. And the times when I did speak in /gu I was quickly told to shutup because my keyboard was broken and I had to substitute letters with things like... "|_|" for U ect... :p

Anyway, gone off on our little tangent. *brings post back on topic

R

Roo Stercogburn

lol - yeh, you did it all yourself. I forgot that. And you were as silent as the grave, always. At lvl50 I regularly go on xp hunts outside of DF just for the fun of it, I forgot that :p

I think this is why I tend to take your posts with a large dose of salt.

But sure, back on topic.

Um, what was the topic again? I'm confused - I don't think the title of the thread relates to your posted content :D

Sorry you don't, and from what I could tell, never did, particularly like DaoC. Just accept its not for you. Nothing wrong with that.

S

svartmetall

You want a level playing-field in a PvP game, play Quake 3, where everyone IS created equal. Because otherwise, in any game involving items, equipment, RAs and stuff, it's never going to be a level playing field.

M

Melachi-

Originally posted by svartmetall
You want a level playing-field in a PvP game, play Quake 3, where everyone IS created equal. Because otherwise, in any game involving items, equipment, RAs and stuff, it's never going to be a level playing field.

Im not asking for a level playing field, just a chance to compete, to have fun. Imagine going to emain as a new shadowblade in epic armour with no bot, how on earth could it be fun when the minute you walk out of mpk you would be mashed, then having to sit on pad for 10 minutes. Do you people really enjoy farming uber items and cash for uber SC and powerleveling your bot? Or do you just really enjoy the advantages it brings?

Roo, I do accept this game is not for, hence the quiting, but I must say, allways taught better of you than to Troll a post. What exactly is your point apart from calling me a whiner?

M

Melachi-

Um, what was the topic again? I'm confused - I don't think the title of the thread relates to your posted content :D

Appologies, but English is not my first language and therefore I can have trouble expressing myself. I live in Ireland I know, however my first languages were Irish and Portuguese, didnt start learning English until later.

O

old.linnet

Originally posted by Melachi-
Im not asking for a level playing field, just a chance to compete, to have fun. Imagine going to emain as a new shadowblade in epic armour with no bot, how on earth could it be fun when the minute you walk out of mpk you would be mashed, then having to sit on pad for 10 minutes. Do you people really enjoy farming uber items and cash for uber SC and powerleveling your bot?

The game can still be very fun, even RvR without buffbots and optimised groups :) Maybe we don't pwn everyone we meet, and when the gank squads from other realms show up, we need to contact other realm mates, organise ourselves a bit and zerg them, but that also isn't anti-fun (<coff> getting what they deserve </coff>).

I'm sure it's hard for stealthers but honestly, the stealth wars is a side of the game you can easily avoid if you want. Can't even remember the last time I got PAd ...

Also -- no, farming isn't fun. But hanging out with your friends while farming can be a good laugh.

R

Roo Stercogburn

Trolling. Marvelous :D

I noted in previous times you've had no trouble expressing yourself fluently and continuously. Too late to play that card methinks :D

You are right though, a lvl50 SB in epic armour and no bot rolling out onto the frontier is in deep doodoo - if they go solo. But it doesn't take that much to get a 99% suit with some SC on it, enough Feds have done it and I've made their armour for them so I know it isn't that expensive.

In my experience, most people don't want a level playing field - they want one tilted towards themselves.

As for getting included on the high level hunts to farm or get items, I can relate to any problems SBs may have, as an ol' Dark Gimp has no place in any setup for any high level hunt. Its possibly this which limits my sympathy for anyone who can't either be bothered to make another char or won't accept they won't get the cherry jobs on any hunt. Having a lvl50 healer as main though has got to be a bonus when you want to gather items for your other toons though and there are certainly lots of FFA hunts on the go all the time where SBs can get kitted out if they are willing to make the effort (again, SBs in Fed have done this). But as you pointed out, this is time PvE'ing and not RvR'ing.

Seriously, try Planetside. There's only RvR in that.

M

Melachi-

Originally posted by old.linnet
The game can still be very fun, even RvR without buffbots and optimised groups :) Maybe we don't pwn everyone we meet, and when the gank squads from other realms show up, we need to contact other realm mates, organise ourselves a bit and zerg them, but that also isn't anti-fun (<coff> getting what they deserve </coff>).

I'm sure it's hard for stealthers but honestly, the stealth wars is a side of the game you can easily avoid if you want. Can't even remember the last time I got PAd ...

Also -- no, farming isn't fun. But hanging out with your friends while farming can be a good laugh.

Nice post, I can see how some people will put up with farming and just try to make the best of it, as you sid farming with friends makes it bareable. But for me this just was too much reality for a game, I admit I wanted intsa action, but in this game its at a price, therefore obviously this game wasn't for me. But can I ask, is this game for anybody? Does anybody enjoy farming, exping, farming items, leveling a bot? And I mean just those things, not "yeah I enjoy it because I talk to friends", other things aside, do you enjoy the actual task of farming, exping, ect...

I noted in previous times you've had no trouble expressing yourself fluently and continuously. Too late to play that card methinks :D

I can't convince you, but its the truth, accept it or not, I don't care. But leave it out regardless.

You are right though, a lvl50 SB in epic armour and no bot rolling out onto the frontier is in deep doodoo - if they go solo. But it doesn't take that much to get a 99% suit with some SC on it, enough Feds have done it and I've made their armour for them so I know it isn't that expensive.

This is my point, your right, nowadays it might not take much at all to get a pretty standard SC set, but my point is why should I have too? This is a game, its about fun, not working.

In my experience, most people don't want a level playing field - they want one tilted towards themselves.

This maybe true for most people, but not for me, I don't want to be the best, just good enough to stand a chance at having fun.

Having a lvl50 healer as main though has got to be a bonus when you want to gather items for your other toons though and there are certainly lots of FFA hunts on the go all the time....

Healer isnt the best class to get cash on, but yeah your right, its far far easier with a healer then a dark sm or shadowblade I imagine. But its not easy when you dont have time to spend farming, with the limited time I have these days, I just wanted to have the fun part of the game. Is that a bad thing?

R

rure_

Elewyth =) was long time ago I heard something from you. good luck in the future with your real life :)

S

svartmetall

Do you people really enjoy farming uber items and cash for uber SC and powerleveling your bot? Or do you just really enjoy the advantages it brings?

..."you people"?

I enjoy PvE far more than RvR as the game stands, purely because RvR has become the domain of the powergaming buffbot-abusing gank squad elitist.

If Frontiers can open up RvR for a lot more players, then bring it on.

M

Melachi-

Originally posted by svartmetall
..."you people"?

I enjoy PvE far more than RvR as the game stands, purely because RvR has become the domain of the powergaming buffbot-abusing gank squad elitist.

If Frontiers can open up RvR for a lot more players, then bring it on.

"you people" meant people who go out and get these advantages, i.e. good SC, good items, lots of cash and leveling buffbots. Sorry I should have been clearer :)

Im comming from the same side as you, however im still a little difirent. I also hate the way emain has gone, total power to the powergamer. But I dont hate the buffbot users, the gank squads ect.. I just hate the game has gotten to the stage where these are pretty much a requirement to RvR. I would probably still play if liked PvE like you do, but I dont, I personally find PvE boring, each to their own.

S

Shike

Hmm I'm with Liste on this one.

New content must be added for a game to move on, its really that simple, although I feel frontiers should have been added before ToA maybe.

I like the concept of DAoC, I like the RVRconcept as it was intended from the start with relics playing a major part in the game and keeps aswell.

What I dont like is:

The interruptsystem (that someone miss me with a 5+spd-weapon and causing me to not beeing able to cast for 5s is just plain silly when I can cast a spell every second normally)

The SCsystem, its way too easy to cap most characters and leave no real weak points and promotes the cookiecuttertemplates.

The RAsystem is incredibly unbalanced and have rendered alot of characters unwanted in RVR.

The general gameclassbalance stinks totally, what i mean is tanks vs casters etc.

Stealthers are way too good as they are now (1.63, ToA might change that a bit) and are too attractive to play so that people refrain from playing their old maincharacters (especially on prydwen).

How stealth works overall in daoc, 50 nightshades can stand ontop of each other in bright sunlight in the middle of a road.. and not be seen, I mean.. last time I saw 50 people in a crowd it was very very easy to spot them even if they tried to hide in the middle of a road, it should be harder and harder to hide if its crowded imo anyway.

Mythics way of treating new things they implement, like savages for instance, I dont know, but I doubt they even tested savages with buffbots and at rr5+, if they had done that, I think they might had come to the conclusion that it never should have gone live at all.

Buffbots... for the love of god, what in the world was Mythic thinking since they didnt stop them at an early stage? Buffbots blow every stat through the roof (and also shakes the balance quite abit) and RVR today without one simply put you on a lower level in performance. I cant see in the manual or anywhere on Mythics site than I eventually need 2 accounts to compete on an equal level as everyone else. Bots doesnt really work out in a linear way either for casters and tanks and healers. I claim that tanks and stealthers benefit much much more from bots than anyone else with how DAoC works mechanically.

The funfactor have decreased alot over time both in PvE and RvR, and the fun things, (that I consider fun) isnt attractive for most people since they dont result in a bunch of RPs that make them even more elite or uber. Of course time has a large factor here as Liste said, but I believe for a game to be truly genuine and good, it need to be balanced from top to bottom and carefully adjusted, not treated with a sledgehammer (zerkers, SBs etc?) and the gameworld need to be better built.

DAoC could have been a great game, now its just a semigood game with alot of flaws in my eyes. I dont find the game too hard or anything, on the contrary, PvE is too easy and dull and RVR is as hard as one want to make. it :)

Anyways.. DAoC is DAoC and it simply isnt for me anymore. It has become more and more like CS with frequent abusers and cheaters and all most people care about is winning, to every cost, even if it leave an old guildmate behind simply because he has the wrong class for instance which just make me very very sad.

Yup, im a bit of a carebear sometimes, and as battlecrazy and furios as everyone else sometimes ;)

R

Roo Stercogburn

I agree Frontiers should have been before ToA. Not just before ToA, but before Foundations as well.

Having said that, the ordinary player (that doesn't mind PvE of course ;)) will I think find that ToA fixes more than it breaks. I have to be perfectly blunt - with the kicking I'm getting in 1.65 its only ToA that has kept me playing as despite the wishywashy logic of implementing an Atlantean setting into the game, it looks extremely good indeed.

What a lot of people forget is that DAoC was always intended to be large scale warfare in RvR but because of the way it was implemented players managed to turn Emain into Quake 3 in a fantasy setting.

That is changing, but you won't ever eliminate the PvE part of the game, it just simply isn't like that.

Lots of things wrong with DAoC. But more is right than wrong, and a lot of peeps don't find this out until they've tried something else but lets face it - its just a game, and people get bored of games.

Z

Ziva

But can I ask, is this game for anybody? Does anybody enjoy farming, exping, farming items, leveling a bot?

Yes i do. I can even enjoy farming/xping/leveling solo and getting shitty drops. For me Daoc isn't only the toons and mobs, it's also the whole enviroment and the way the grapics look. And i'm not a roleplayer or anything like it, i'm just enjoying a lot of things that cause me to have fun like people wearing weird outfits or funny named/looking mobs or drops that look nice and are shitty to use. But RvRing in my epic outfit (which i do on atleast one char) is fun for me too. Yes, maybe you die sooner, yes maybe your damage is lower but why care when you are having fun. The day i don't enjoy these things anymore is probably the day i quit :)

A lot of people think this game is about getting 50 asap, get a nice suit, going to RvR and get RR10+ asap. I think these people are the same people that are bored very quickly (i'm not saying you are one of them btw).

I don't say that what you want is bad, but if that is what you want, Daoc isn't your game. It's as simple as that and we can discuss it for hours but it has no use cause the best thing you can do is find a game with aspects you do enjoy. But keep in mind that probably every other game out there has aspects that you might dislike and there is also a human thing called "getting bored of something" which is something you can't prevent.

T

the_hermit

I'm one of those people that enjoys PvE more than RvR. I've only just made my first real steps into RvR in the form of BG1 with my scout with the aim of staying there to get into RvR more. I've levelled a necro to 50, but I *refuse* the use the /level command on Alb. I've done it on Pry/Hib just to see what's what, and I've done it on Camlann (for the "what's the interest" factor), but Excal/Alb is my favorite, it's home, and it's where I xp.

I've done RvR with my Necro - not that he can get a group as people aren't interested in a necro - but never really enjoyed it. I suspect it's because he's not an RvR character. On the other hand in Thid where things are slightly more balanced, I still find myself contemplating that when I /release I will just go XP again, but push myself to go back. Getting jumped by 4-6 stealthers to take me down does put a dampner on it (not whining, I know all realms do it to all realms).

It's the same with all games - you either enjoy it or you don't. If you don't like the PvE aspect, then you don't like the bulk of the game. I personally can't stand Quake or similar games, because to me it's just a case of "bang bang you're dead", even though I know others enjoy it - not the game for me.

Here's to hoping you find the game for you matey :drink:

E

ele

I'm with Ziva and Roo on this one, I enjoy all aspects of the game but to all intents and purposes it is a social game with content built around it.

It is probably still also the most advanced mmorpg on the market at the moment (at least for a few more months) All I do if the trials of xping and constant ganking in RvR takes its toll is take a few days break...Hell..I even changed realms!!!!

I'll always be glad I played this game though, I've met some amazing people who I hope I'll remain friends with for the rest of my life..no gank squad can beat that. (sorry..bit soppy but who cares)

I have no regrets :cool:

Users who are viewing this thread