DAoC XML

E

etaew

i use it on my guild test site.. its not the main guild site yet because of bugs in the calender
http://etaew.50free.net/forum/

i love ur class code especially glen.. anyone seen some code which will display members details that are level 50.. be useful for a higher lvl hunts page etc :)

oh and if anyone wants to know of a free site that gives u php / asp / frontpage support free as well as 1000 subdomains for your account / 1000 email aliases / 10 email boxes / 10 mailing lists / 10 ftp accounts / 10 databases / 500 mb traffic / and 50mb of webspace for Free :O i use http://www.50free.com

O

old.Belorfyn

Probably easiest way to make listing with main/alt characters would be to have the mains and alts just stored in flat file updated manually (if the guild is not huge).
Then it might be pretty easy to modify the parser script so that it would read the mains/alts from file and look up their stats from the xml file (easy since it's one guild only so everything is in same xml file anyway).
You can have local copy of the xml file on web server to speed up the parsing, make the php script make check before reading that if it's older than 15 minutes or so, it'll fetch new copy from GOA's site and replace the local version with that. That way the xml file will be only downloaded every 15 minutes and it won't make the loading slow.

If you want your guildies to be able to update the character list themselves and such, then the database is probably better solution.

G

glenfiddich

:)

i'll stand my ground about guild info dumped into databases:

What many people do not understand about XML is that it already holds the data for you as well as the way to interpret it.
So in that regard, it makes the use of a database redundant.

also keep in mind that you're playing a video game, not running a backoffice for international sales and shipping :)

So maybe the trending thing is a bit over the top :)

But if you want to try yourself at PHP programming, be my guest, play around with PHP graph generation for all you know :)

I guess it boils down to correct use and allocation of resources as well as a fairly flexible understanding of netiquette. :)

Users who are viewing this thread