DAoC player - reasons to play WoW?

Danya

Fledgling Freddie
Experienced very few server issues myself really. I think being on a lower pop server helps that thugh.

Malcolm

Can't get enough of FH
I'm perverted and prefer PvE in DAoC for some reason and I rarely have xp downtime with a deathsight necro :p

Played WoW for a couple of months, didn't get into it and went back to DAoC.

In the end, it's a matter of what floats your boat. :)

Kami

Can't get enough of FH
Started playing on Thunderhorn with a few old friends as a Druid. Good fun so far ;)

Das_Hibbie

Fledgling Freddie
What disturbed me the most in WoWs PvP was all the freaking strafing and jumping around. Made it look like CS and I never got any feel for the era of which the game was supposed to be taking place in.

Also I think WoW made the gap between skilled groups and not so skilled groups too small in PvP. I have yet to hear of guilds being feared in PvP such as Nolby Pride, Dem Hibbies, Vengeance, Llaw Arian etc. I know many disagree, but I found skill to be a lesser factor when looking at groupfights. Very seldom it occured that 1 group could defeat 2 groups (assuming they are not afk!)

Danya

Fledgling Freddie
Game has only been out a few months. There weren't any real RvR guilds in DAoC for ages after it came out. Give it 6 months or so I'm sure some guilds will make a name for themselves.

Mirari

Fledgling Freddie
Das Hibbie said:
all the freaking strafing

I know exactly what you mean, its quite annoying.

Not like it happens in daoc tho... *cough* Target is too far away! *cough*

:D

Whisperess

Can't get enough of FH
Danya said:
Experienced very few server issues myself really. I think being on a lower pop server helps that thugh.
Doesn't help Bloodhoof :(

Rohadric

Fledgling Freddie
Well actually there is a trial... When i bought the game i got a 10 day trial game card, to give to a friend or something.

Danya

Fledgling Freddie
Whisperess said:
Doesn't help Bloodhoof :(
Well no, not much help to exisiting players, but something to look out for if you're just joining the game.

Das_Hibbie

Fledgling Freddie
Mirari said:
I know exactly what you mean, its quite annoying.

Not like it happens in daoc tho... *cough* Target is too far away! *cough*

:D

Of of course, but it's still far far from what it means in WoW. I don't know, but somehow it just blows the atmosphere when I see a tremendously large Tauren warrior hopping around in circles like a bloody rabbit. Same goes for the small maps in war games, such as Battlefeild. I've never been a great fan of this jumping around while strafing thing since it looks ridiculous beyong beleif.

Keltic

Fledgling Freddie
WoW is in a difernt league of its own and cant be really compared to DAOC in my oppinion so many things are difernt wow has a pick up and go fun attitude and camelot is alot more serious with its pvp but you do have to take into account that Daoc has been out along time and has had a chance to mature and devlope into what it is today. The PvP system is picking up quite a bit in wow now atm and is really geting into the whole PvP scene with pvp guilds starting up and large sized raids hapening on some servers.

The Strafeing thing as well is more fun really when u get used to it :) i mean haveing to hunt and chase the enemy adds alot more excitement and realism (for a game that looks like a cartoon) not push a stick button and tap 1 2 3 4 5 :clap: . IMHO wow is like the off spring of DAOC it has been beterd like they took many difernt MMORPGs and made wow. So id say play wow find a server with lots DAOC players play a char to 60 and than judge it your self .
Only you can decide in the end if you like it or not.

Kokelimonkelmedisin

Fledgling Freddie
my main gripe with the game is that it is too easy to run away from someone that is trying to kill you... In group vs group combat if the loosing group knows they are loosing and tries to run there is very little you can do about it tbh wich is realy annoying... I liked daoc better in this department.. Other than that, nice game.

Das_Hibbie

Fledgling Freddie
Keltic said:
WoW is in a difernt league of its own and cant be really compared to DAOC in my oppinion so many things are difernt wow has a pick up and go fun attitude and camelot is alot more serious with its pvp but you do have to take into account that Daoc has been out along time and has had a chance to mature and devlope into what it is today. The PvP system is picking up quite a bit in wow now atm and is really geting into the whole PvP scene with pvp guilds starting up and large sized raids hapening on some servers.

The Strafeing thing as well is more fun really when u get used to it :) i mean haveing to hunt and chase the enemy adds alot more excitement and realism (for a game that looks like a cartoon) not push a stick button and tap 1 2 3 4 5 :clap: . IMHO wow is like the off spring of DAOC it has been beterd like they took many difernt MMORPGs and made wow. So id say play wow find a server with lots DAOC players play a char to 60 and than judge it your self .
Only you can decide in the end if you like it or not.

Well I don't know if it's realistic to for a cow warrior in full armor to be jumping around strafing in mid-air while swinging away with a two-handed hammer in perfect coordination. At least they could make the accuracy a bit worse when strafing and jumping around? :)

Mathiyn

Fledgling Freddie
DAOC and WoW are, like has been said, two completely separate games. One is based around the legends of Celts, Britons and Vikings (Historically a bit screwy, but we accecpted that as the stories were excellent) and the other is essentially a cartoon. Both games have their 3 levels of twats (Thieving Bastards, Ganking Bastards and downright Rude Bastards) and their "can't do enough to help" players too (i'm the second category before anyone says anything :) )

After playing WoW for the last 4-5 months, DAOC now seems "clunky" and you do not have the same spacial awareness you have in WoW, where with the mouse you can look all around you easily and without masses of lag as you get in DAOC, well not without a 10 button mouse at least.

I played DAOC for 2 1/2 years and gave up with 5 lvl 50's and too many sore fists from hitting the keyboard after getting killed by too many over buffed 12yo's on too much sugar. In WoW, I get ganked - a LOT, but then I play on a PvP server, I accept that 12yo players are going to kill me despite being 10+ levels lower. After all if you put your hand in the lions mouth, don't be surprised and pissed off if the lion decides to bite it off.

Don't get me wrong though, DAOC will always be an excellent game for me. I recently reactivated my account and bought Catacombs. The graphical enhancements are nice but i find the control system too stiff for my liking now.

WoW, like others have said, is still a young game. There are bugs galore in it, but these will be ironed out i'm sure in time. There are huge places on the map that are yet to be opened and, imo, this only leads to a sence of anticipation for when they finally appear.

stubbyrulz

Fledgling Freddie
good post :p i dont see why people are crying about strafing though? cos its pretty easy to keep em infront of you.

Doink-666

Fledgling Freddie
Get far more enjoyment out of killing people than killing in PvE, just gifv clustering because imo dont find any one fight the same on daoc thats something that can be repeated unlike PvE...once you've seen and done it all you've seen it and done it all :p

Deacan

Fledgling Freddie
Reason to play eh?

I found it rather fun trying to level in Hillsbrad and STV pre battlegrounds.

*shows off the grey hair battle scars*
*sucks thumb in corner*

From what I seen, the role-play servers seem to have a great community, just stay away from the tavern in Goldshire *shudders*

Lakashnik

Fledgling Freddie
Kokelimonkelmedisin said:
my main gripe with the game is that it is too easy to run away from someone that is trying to kill you... In group vs group combat if the loosing group knows they are loosing and tries to run there is very little you can do about it tbh wich is realy annoying... I liked daoc better in this department.. Other than that, nice game.

there is absolutely no way i can get away from any1 in pvp. a single hamstring or piercing howl is v easy to hit me with or a concussive shot or wingclip.
i am assuming u have non magic users in ur grp. cos they have by far the best CC in the fact u r unable to get rid of it. most magic can be dispelled or decursed, altho pallys blessing of freedom is useful. hamstring is truly the biggest bitch of everything. and wondering wht grp u r running if u dont have a hunter in it then think about a change imo. hunters are fantastic in pvp grps. mana stings concused shots scatter shots use mark to choose ur targets. wing clips, flares, traps. and they still have high dps with uninteruptable auto shots. rapid fire is a bonus to. absolutely fantastic support class imo.
if u havent considerd them for a pvp grp i strongly urge u to reconsider.

Keltic

Fledgling Freddie
Mathiyn said:
DAOC and WoW are, like has been said, two completely separate games. One is based around the legends of Celts, Britons and Vikings (Historically a bit screwy, but we accecpted that as the stories were excellent) and the other is essentially a cartoon. Both games have their 3 levels of twats (Thieving Bastards, Ganking Bastards and downright Rude Bastards) and their "can't do enough to help" players too (i'm the second category before anyone says anything :) )

After playing WoW for the last 4-5 months, DAOC now seems "clunky" and you do not have the same spacial awareness you have in WoW, where with the mouse you can look all around you easily and without masses of lag as you get in DAOC, well not without a 10 button mouse at least.

I played DAOC for 2 1/2 years and gave up with 5 lvl 50's and too many sore fists from hitting the keyboard after getting killed by too many over buffed 12yo's on too much sugar. In WoW, I get ganked - a LOT, but then I play on a PvP server, I accept that 12yo players are going to kill me despite being 10+ levels lower. After all if you put your hand in the lions mouth, don't be surprised and pissed off if the lion decides to bite it off.

Don't get me wrong though, DAOC will always be an excellent game for me. I recently reactivated my account and bought Catacombs. The graphical enhancements are nice but i find the control system too stiff for my liking now.

WoW, like others have said, is still a young game. There are bugs galore in it, but these will be ironed out i'm sure in time. There are huge places on the map that are yet to be opened and, imo, this only leads to a sence of anticipation for when they finally appear.

Good answer and explanation saves me repeating my self thanks.

nikolas

Fledgling Freddie
Controlling your character is very good in wow compared to daoc... I have a 5 button mouse with all kinds of combo's equipped. Generally wow toon control is a lot like a fps in terms of movement and speed. It makes daoc look aweful if you ever go back for a look...

The quest / xp system rocks... The BG's work very well and the rewards are excellent.

PvP isn't like daoc completely.. It has it's own ladder ranks system. PvP solo your going to get points and good bonuses if your side wins a BG... Group incentives are there for the taking in Capture the Flag instance runs. Actually on the whole you can make a lot more points running with a guild group in Warsong than you will doing your own thing solo in Alterac for example.

Why such a high bonus? Well it's to encourage group play.. Diminishing returns means you can only get points 4 times in 24 hours for a target.... Add that to a divide by 5 rule for a full group :O.... WoW group play wouldn’t work otherwise due to them not making any points ;D

Lots to do in instances PvE and plenty to keep you busy in PvP for months ;-)

Cigies

Fledgling Freddie
Kami you old tart, come pay me a visit on Alliance/Bloodhoof :)

And before you ask, no I do not have a gnome fixation ... Not at all !

Spankya

Fledgling Freddie
nikolas said:
Controlling your character is very good in wow compared to daoc... I have a 5 button mouse with all kinds of combo's equipped. Generally wow toon control is a lot like a fps in terms of movement and speed. It makes daoc look aweful if you ever go back for a look...

The quest / xp system rocks... The BG's work very well and the rewards are excellent.

PvP isn't like daoc completely.. It has it's own ladder ranks system. PvP solo your going to get points and good bonuses if your side wins a BG... Group incentives are there for the taking in Capture the Flag instance runs. Actually on the whole you can make a lot more points running with a guild group in Warsong than you will doing your own thing solo in Alterac for example.

Why such a high bonus? Well it's to encourage group play.. Diminishing returns means you can only get points 4 times in 24 hours for a target.... Add that to a divide by 5 rule for a full group :O.... WoW group play wouldn’t work otherwise due to them not making any points ;D

Lots to do in instances PvE and plenty to keep you busy in PvP for months ;-)

Although I like the BGs, the waiting annoys me. Waiting for ages to get into a BG which sometimes is over in under 10 minutes. The worst one is when you wait for ages, get into BG and it says no enough players... so the BG closes..

As for the xp system, doing quests all the time I find a bit tedious, although instances are very good fun and good xp.

Ash'

Fledgling Freddie
Im enjoying wow still as a warrior, MT in mc still fun to me :D the pvp does need work.. when the 20v20BGs come out im hoping the ques wont be so long

confused

Can't get enough of FH
Spankya said:
The good thing about wow is that every class has a use. Unlike DAOC where if you werent a specific class with a specific spec, people wouldnt group you (like choosing a mana eld over a light eld). People are a bit picky for raids though and often only want certain classes in certain numbers.
True but also the fact that every char is self sufficient makes there less need in grouping when xping

Maxgirth

Fledgling Freddie
Sycho said:
WoW has great PvE, absolutely shit PvP but the game overall other than the bad PvP is perfect.Also blizzard are a joke at running WoW it seems...mc crashed several times today so we had to abandon raid, majordomo spawn fucked up last raid again we got no loot due to the spawn not being correct.(the gms already take a few hours minimum to respond, compared to GOA gms it's disgraceful)

Like i said game is good, just bad pvp and the service isn't that great sadly.

Amen to that, gifv Kemor (probably spelt his name wrong),the never sleeping GM,Great guy who would sort problems out.
A few that spring to mind, ogre`s might bug, some guys didn`t get belts, was sorted accordingly. Bugged sidi boss, reset and sorted.I had a problem with PF, Rowena got in touch with Kemor via icq,within 1/2 hour I got a pm from him,we ported somewhere weird and I proceded to wack him from behind (ooer matron).
Don`t know what he done but prevent flight now worked.
My 2 WoW gm related problems ended thus, after one of those drawn out but great item chain quests, the last part was bugged, I didn`t get item needed to finish quest,sent message to gm.
When I got reply (the following day), was the blatantly obvious," abandon quest and retry". " done that " I said.
We will look into it, may take a few days, that was 5 months ago.
I sold an epic item by mistake ( I blame the lag in orgri :p ),reported it within 1/2 hour - 45 minutes npc`s name etc etc, after 2 more messages sent to a gm and 3 weeks later, I got a reply, sorry we cannot trace item.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom