DAoC player - reasons to play WoW?

Kami

Can't get enough of FH
Must admit I'm now finding DAoC very "samey". I'd like to play something new but I don't want to have to put all my time into building up character after character like in DAOC. I especially don't want to have 2 accounts, for a bot.

So is it worth giving WoW a shot? I am sorely tempted as most of my old DAoC buddies have left to play it .. :mad:

Ormorof

FH is my second home
its worth it :D

can take a while to get to 60 but dont need 2 accounts :D

Danya

Fledgling Freddie
Wow really doesn't have botting. The buff system makes it pointless.

Pick a character and level it. Nothing is so far out of whack it unplayable so pick what you think you'll enjoy and off you go.

Kami

Can't get enough of FH
I'd love to try WoW but the lack of a free trial is annoying. I don't want to ultimately be stuck with a game that's heading the same way as DAOC. I don't mind PvP but play mostly for the community and social aspects of the game, PvE is usually more relaxed and there's less emphasis on getting the best items etc.

If I could give WoW a shot for a couple of weeks I'd jump at the chance but at the moment with no free trials I guess I'll keep playing Eve and pop onto DAoC when I'm totally bored :p

WiZe^

Can't get enough of FH
I must admit that wow ait a bad game, lovely pve if u compare to DAoC but i rusht to 60 whit my shaman and lost the fun in lvl'ing.
As the game is like 80 % pve and the endgame (the pve or pvp) dont rly suit me (well not atm)
But hey the game is still young who knows it probely can geat better for those who like the PvP more then PvE ;)

WiZe^

Can't get enough of FH
Danya said:
Wow really doesn't have botting. The buff system makes it pointless.

Pick a character and level it. Nothing is so far out of whack it unplayable so pick what you think you'll enjoy and off you go.

The good thing whit WoW is that nooo classes are like in DAoC - gimps ;)
plus u can if u whant solo all the way to 60.

exponentiaL

Fledgling Freddie
WiZe^ said:
I must admit that wow ait a bad game, lovely pve if u compare to DAoC but i rusht to 60 whit my shaman and lost the fun in lvl'ing.
As the game is like 80 % pve and the endgame (the pve or pvp) dont rly suit me (well not atm)
But hey the game is still young who knows it probely can geat better for those who like the PvP more then PvE ;)

That's what I did, and it made me retire from WoW untill some new things are getting add to the game that will make me enjoy my time..

I got a bit sick of running/trying to run instance(s) all day just to get that one item that you want. Nonetheless I found it great to get my first character to 60, and be able to have fun in pvp ( not anymore due either zerg-warfare in AV(bg) or the WG(bg) in which you could hardly come, on my server, and get in with a setup group.

If they can get the pvp a little more gg vs. gg ( guildgroup ) I would surely be back to give it a shot.

Sissyfoo

Fledgling Freddie
Kami said:
I'd love to try WoW but the lack of a free trial is annoying. I don't want to ultimately be stuck with a game that's heading the same way as DAOC. I don't mind PvP but play mostly for the community and social aspects of the game, PvE is usually more relaxed and there's less emphasis on getting the best items etc.

If I could give WoW a shot for a couple of weeks I'd jump at the chance but at the moment with no free trials I guess I'll keep playing Eve and pop onto DAoC when I'm totally bored :p

Of all the mmorpg games that I've ever played I would say that WoW is by far the best. PvE is easy and relaxed. You can do it in groups or you can do it solo and the quest rewards usually make doing them completely worthwhile unlike DAoC where the quests usually involve running around all over the realm for a shitty reward and even shittier XP.

There are some aspects of the game which aren't great but I still think that the game is hands down better than DAoC. The Auction House is a huge improvement over the selling system in DAoC for starters.

Danya

Fledgling Freddie
Kami said:

If that's what you're after then WoW may be right up your alley. If you find a good guild then you're set. WoW PvE is far far better than DAoCs which means you find a lot more people just PvEing or taking it easy rather than rushing to a PvP endgame.

Sycho

Can't get enough of FH
WoW has great PvE, absolutely shit PvP but the game overall other than the bad PvP is perfect.Also blizzard are a joke at running WoW it seems...mc crashed several times today so we had to abandon raid, majordomo spawn fucked up last raid again we got no loot due to the spawn not being correct.(the gms already take a few hours minimum to respond, compared to GOA gms it's disgraceful)

Like i said game is good, just bad pvp and the service isn't that great sadly.

Kami

Can't get enough of FH
well you guys helped me make up my mind. Ordered it today from play.com and have decided to go Horde. Where I've no idea and what class I've still to decide, but thanks anyway for your input and opinions!

Spankya

Fledgling Freddie
The good thing about wow is that every class has a use. Unlike DAOC where if you werent a specific class with a specific spec, people wouldnt group you (like choosing a mana eld over a light eld). People are a bit picky for raids though and often only want certain classes in certain numbers.

Tigersan

Fledgling Freddie
WOW PVE is far superior to DAOC no downtime on xping etc and the gfx and enjoyment in lvling is gr8.

However after hitting 60 i dnt want to constantly do run after run in instances so i tried PVP which is ok in the BG's but its just one zrge against another and very repetitive. So for PVP aspects DAOC knocks the socks of WOW..

All depends what you prefer but for me i was dissapointed with the PVP aspect.

Chrystina

Fledgling Freddie
major plus for me is "useful xp'ing":
- in DAoC your XP "experience" is rather crap ... lousy quests, shit rewards (epic anyone?) ... or you hang out in a XP group and get nothing but XP
- in WoW you mainly XP with quests and instances ... quests actually reward you with excellent items and XP ... instances give great XP and items as well (made 180k XP and quite some gold in 3 BRD runs yesterday)

I can't comment on PvP as I don't like PvP, but if Sycho says it's crap it must be true :cheers:

but don't forget, WoW is quite new and there's still lots of development going on and the future looks good I think :)

Afran

Part of the furniture
I like WoW PvP. Just hate the fucking honor system. :p

Danya

Fledgling Freddie
Spankya said:
The good thing about wow is that every class has a use. Unlike DAOC where if you werent a specific class with a specific spec, people wouldnt group you (like choosing a mana eld over a light eld). People are a bit picky for raids though and often only want certain classes in certain numbers.
Wow raids tend to go for balance really. It's no good taking 80% rogues and then getting owned because you forgot to bring enough healers and such. I've never seen any class excluded from raids totally though.

haarewin

Fledgling Freddie
if you cant decide, my advice would be to make a priest. groups always seem to need a priest!

Sycho

Can't get enough of FH
Druids are always needed too, they also are like 1-3 max on molten core raids so you have a good chance to get items there.Warlock is a great class aswell that is severely underplayed, people do not realise how strong they can be in pvp in the right hands.

Afran

Part of the furniture
Yeah warlocks, priests & druids are your best choices for PvE groups on most servers. Rogues/Hunters being the most populated class find it hard to get groups. Not really a great lack of Warriors, either. :p

Kami

Can't get enough of FH
Druid and shaman are definately my fav two at the moment, will have to find out as much as I can about them though :)

Afran

Part of the furniture
Kami said:
Druid and shaman are definately my fav two at the moment, will have to find out as much as I can about them though :)
I'd suggest druid of the two; not sure how hard shamans' find it getting into MC groups but there's certainly a lot of them around.

Lakashnik

Fledgling Freddie
Afran said:
I'd suggest druid of the two; not sure how hard shamans' find it getting into MC groups but there's certainly a lot of them around.
cos they be tottaly OP :p
fear the almight WSG shaman zergs.

actually quick Q about shammys. as paladins are kinda like their opposite factions shaman. paladins are loved in pve grps. the buffs and extra heals and stuff are just fantastic for pve and there is usually 1 in each grp of a large raid. but i was wondering if its the same for shamans? i kow they have totems and stuff but are they as effective?

Chrystina

Fledgling Freddie
Afran said:
Not really a great lack of Warriors, either. :p
actually there IS a lack of people who know how to play a warrior in instances ... 2h vs. shield anyone? :twak:

PS: I like arcane mages with insta AoE :worthy:

Afran

Part of the furniture
Lakashnik said:
cos they be tottaly OP :p
fear the almight WSG shaman zergs.

actually quick Q about shammys. as paladins are kinda like their opposite factions shaman. paladins are loved in pve grps. the buffs and extra heals and stuff are just fantastic for pve and there is usually 1 in each grp of a large raid. but i was wondering if its the same for shamans? i kow they have totems and stuff but are they as effective?
Being a rogue I like to have a shaman in my group just for the insane +agi totem, that combined with mongoose pot/greater agi makes dps/crit etc go real high. :)

They're heals are pretty shit; I'd say worse than paladins (atleast from what I've seen), but it's better than nothing. Most of the time I group shamans they are actually shit players, just gone for that class due to hearing they are OP in PvP :rolleyes:

I didn't play a shaman higher than level 15 as I got bored of doing fuck all damage. :p They can do insane damage at high level though with a slow 2 handed weapon (Arcanite reaper? :p) and Windfury.

Afran

Part of the furniture
Chrystina said:
actually there IS a lack of people who know how to play a warrior in instances ... 2h vs. shield anyone? :twak:

PS: I like arcane mages with insta AoE :worthy:
Never really had that problem :p Had a couple of warrs using 2h / dual-wield in LBRS as main tank though xE

Spankya

Fledgling Freddie
The problem with priests is that they are a pain to level compared to hunters/paladins/warlock until they get to lvl 30 odd. They are great in groups, but getting groups at low lvl doesnt happen much :( If you are going to make an alliance priest, go for dwarf, if going for horde priest, go for undead.

Asha

Fledgling Freddie
Q

Kami said:

This really sounds like you want a game more like EQ2?

I find WoW community to be lack luster at best basically because there isn't the community feel that you got as a realm in DAOC.

The pve is fun to 60, especially if you have some one to duo with.

I find the pvp more and more fun, but the crashing servers, crashing instances, and down times suck the fun out of it a bit.

We waited in DAOC for pvp as well tho...

pixieblue

Fledgling Freddie
I would say for....

PvE ... WoW
PvP ... DAoC

PvP is much better on DAoC, I do miss it very much, but the PvE on WoW is alot better than DAoC, And crafting is so much easier....

I miss my friends from DAoC ... Love you guys!
:wub:

/Maria

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom