DAoC now, tomorrow, in the future. Have a look :)

L

Lanceloc

Is there any way we can find out more about GOA, its operations, staff levels, contracts etc? I am investigating this and I'll ask my company directors how I can find out more and then I'll post it here for you.

O

old.yaruar

Originally posted by Lanceloc
Is there any way we can find out more about GOA, its operations, staff levels, contracts etc? I am investigating this and I'll ask my company directors how I can find out more and then I'll post it here for you.

I doubt it, unless France has some very strange corporate laws. You might be able to get the names of directors and possibly yearly results if they are publicly listed.....

O

old.trigali

Or you can hire me... headhunters do this sort of thing :)

O

old.Rawkeer

Originally posted by smurflord
To be honest, I am surprised how quick GOA have done the patching so far. It is very unfair ro make comparisons with Mythic's operation in the states. Mythic just has to make the game in one language and roll it out. GOA has to then take that game, tease it apart and redo a lot of the coding several times, once of each language. It is not just a simple matter of translating the text, but changing the way the program handles and manipultes that text. Then they have to put it all back together and make sure it still behaves the same way as the original. That in itself is a mammoth task.
If they only provided English server, I am sure we would only be a few weeks behind the US, but they dont. Just be grateful that they provide the other languages to our european cousins, so we dont get our server bombareded with french or german.
Just take a moment to think what is involved behind this operation before you start ranting.

Smurflord
Lvl 342 Neophyte Programmer :D

ROFL

"Mythic just have to make the game"

You think thats easier than translating it? GOA just have to translate the game which is already completely designed and coded for them into other languages.
Mythic have to get ideas, develop them, design them and then implement them doing ALL the code themselves.

Its a hell of a lot harder to MAKE something than to modify it.

O

old.ElDiablo

Originally posted by yaruar

Why should both make a similar profit?

The companies are difficult to compare. Size, international market, pre-existing company, local taxes/regulations, Just the simple fact that Italy ony has to deal with one currency whereas goa deals with 3 countries currencies (oh got I hope the UK goes into the Euro soon...)

You can not equate companies unless you know them......

No, GOA should make more money. They make a profit from every customer paying (can you at least agree on that one?).
The German customers should pay enough for their translation and so should the french, I mean the italians do.

GOA makes a profit from the customers from Sweden, Finland, Denmark, Norway, UK, Spain and maybe some other countries. If this is not enough GOA should consider closing down.

O

old.ElDiablo

Originally posted by yaruar

The player bases are not even, there are a lot less uk players
translation is only a small part of the budget. Do you know how much a 1gb line costs?

As for the promises, I didn't see those, I brought the game to play, not to moan about.

I dunno where you are from, but if GOA thinks it so goddamn xpensive with just a 1 gb line they shouldnt even have gotten the damn contract. They should have let a Swedish company take care of the servers.

In Sweden 10 mbits is not unusual and 100 mbits is being tested in several cities. This is for private persons.

O

old.Ayeye

No, GOA should make more money. They make a profit from every customer paying (can you at least agree on that one?).
The German customers should pay enough for their translation and so should the french, I mean the italians do.

I would like to add something...
Mate do you know that Italians can download from internet their version of Daoc and there is no need of the cd-key ?

This means that GOA :puke: has earned much more money for sure because we all payed for the original CD!

O

Olgark

All I can say is . " I can't wait till ShadowBane or Star Wars to be released."
Hell even EQ2 will be better than this, at least sony takes the players seriously. And are not amatures.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom