DAoC Expansion Pack announced!

O

old.Xarr

Looks pretty spiffy, new races and stuff :)

Here's an info snip from camelotvault:

--

"Wednesday, May 15, 2002

Shrouded Isles Expansion Announced
Fans of Dark Age of Camelot will be excited to know that developer Mythic Entertainment has now confirmed the rumored expansion pack. Here's the main text of the statement we received a short time ago:

SHROUDED ISLES APPEAR OVER THE HORIZON OF ONLINE HIT DARK AGE OF CAMELOT

MYTHIC ENTERTAINMENT ANNOUNCES EXPANSION FOR ITS WORLDWIDE HIT ONLINE GAME DARK AGE OF CAMELOT

FAIRFAX, VA - MAY 15, 2002 - Mythic Entertainment (www.mythicentertainment.com), creator of the multiple award winning massively multiplayer online role-playing game (MMORPG) Dark Age of Camelot, today announced that the game's highly anticipated first expansion pack is currently in development. Dark Age of Camelot: Shrouded Isles is set for a late 2002 release and will continue setting new standards for online game-play. The game will be developed by Mythic Entertainment and co-published with Abandon Entertainment (www.abandonent.com).

Dark Age of Camelot: Shrouded Isles enriches and expands the mythological fantasy world of the original game by adding stunning new graphics and whole new areas to explore for each Realm. Players of Dark Age of Camelot: Shrouded Isles will also discover that the Realms will be populated with three new races and new character classes. As previously announced, the expansion will include a significant graphical upgrade to the game by utilizing DirectX 8.1 and the new NetImmerse 3D engine version 4.0 from Numerical Design Limited. This new technology will greatly improve overall graphical performance as well as provide support for advanced graphical features such as shadowing, more spectacular spell effects/animations, reflective surfaces, and much more.

"With the tremendous success of the original game, it made sense for us to start development on Shrouded Isles immediately," explained Mark Jacobs, President of Mythic Entertainment. "Shrouded Isles will add to the experience that has excited and intrigued players to date while updating the visual experience to draw them further into the worlds of Hibernia, Albion and Midgard."

Having recently passed the 200,000 mark for active subscribers worldwide after only seven months on the market, the original Dark Age of Camelot continues to excite the MMORPG world. With the games continued growth, including upcoming releases in the fertile Japanese and Korean markets, it won't be long before Dark Age of Camelot is competing for the number one MMORPG worldwide.

Dark Age of Camelot is an award-winning online world with features such as multiple class and race combinations, both player vs. player and player vs. environment action, and a robust trade skill system. "

G

Galatea

yey, expansion

ps, bagsie first nitpick (want it to use netimmerse 4.2 :p)

j/k btw :)

any ideas on what new classes here may be? i'm betting on a necromancer as one at least :D

A

Aeiedil

how about hte new Albion class, "God"

as the name states, it is totally invincible and godlike in every single way, yet does not unbalance the game atall

Middie class, "Drunk Viking"

distorts the graphics in the game, giving the whole world a whole new look. randomly regains health and self-resurrects as he remembers that he wasnt actually killled

Hibernian class, "Treehugger"

watch out for this terrible class, itll hug you to death with its bare hands!!!!

hmmm now races

Albion : Halfling (yeah they need a midget)
Midgard : Halforc (fits?)
Hibernia : Tree (its gonna happen ;))

O

old.kinjo

any bettings on which year GOA :puke: will have it ready for us 2010 ?

O

old.CoCoPRo

some morph guy could be fun actually

like morphing into trees or animals

O

old.tRoG

Originally posted by CoCoPRo
some morph guy could be fun actually

like morphing into trees or animals

i thought wardens are gonna get shapeshifting or something in the US...

but i might be imagining things again ;)

A

Aeiedil

Indeed, its being hailed as the new anti-minstrAl class ;)

O

old.Xarr

hehe, seriously tho. I wonder if the new races and classes will be of a more 'evil' theme. Because if you look at all the existing classes and races we have now, none of them are really hardcore evil. I'd like to see races such as svartalf, maybe a shade-ish elven race for the hibbys.. I don't know, but I do know me likey-likey the looks of this :)

New stuff is always cool! :clap: :clap: :clap:

O

old.Godspeed:D

Originally posted by Xarr
including upcoming releases in the fertile Japanese and Korean markets,

lol, could this be the third comming of such comments like:

ME WANT ITAM
ME COME YOU GO POTAL ( telekeep? :p )
KEKE HUK HUK
~@^_^@~

and so fourth, i hope to get to play with some koreans, they make me laugh :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

A

Aeiedil

seiriously what id like to see, hmmmmmm

I guess for hib maybe a more playable support class would be good :)

as for races, how about empryeans? from what i remember they were waiting for fagan to ask their leader to join them, so it would fit in, and they could become the new uber-casters due to their magical nature? or even be made to excel at the new support classes role :) just my thoughts :)

O

old.Xarr

Midgard-wise I would love to see a new hybrid class, a mix between warrior and spiritmaster, or maybe shadowblade and spiritmaster. Sort of lurky, creepy necro thingy :)

One thing that struck my mind was this; Look at the title of the expansion pack.. it's got island in it. I wonder if that means we will see naval combat and such? With the legendary viking longboats.. that would be so awesome :D

A

Aeiedil

sea and air battles would be stunning but i dont see them happening (prove me wrong, please)

itd certainly make the swim speed realm ability a bit more worthwhile if it made water an rvr battleground ;)

O

old.Xarr

hehe I thought that exactly too! :)

I'm afraid you're right about the naval battles not happening, but it's always best to be prepared for the worst and then get positively surprised if it actually happens ;)

R

Riddler

Originally posted by Aeiedil
how about hte new Albion class, "God"

as the name states, it is totally invincible and godlike in every single way, yet does not unbalance the game atall

rofl, what inspired you to that suggestion? :p

R

Riddler

Re: Re: DAoC Expansion Pack announced!

Originally posted by Godspeed:D

lol, could this be the third comming of such comments like:

ME WANT ITAM
ME COME YOU GO POTAL ( telekeep? :p )
KEKE HUK HUK
~@^_^@~

and so fourth, i hope to get to play with some koreans, they make me laugh :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

been playing too much Legend of Mir Beta? lol

and yeah they were funny ;)

T

Tiwaz

This is actually the first time I thought: Damn, I wish I played on the US servers.

Because, if we know GOA right, we europeans will have to wait a good 6 months at least, after the US release, to get our servers upgraded. I mean - imagine the translation job;)

Maybe Mythic could implement code in the expansion, that allowed players worldwide to choose ANY server to play on. In other words, stop this regional division of players (europe is surely 2. devision:()

Oh well - lets wait (and wait, and wait) and see...

O

old.Hendrick

All I am hoping for is a new Nightshade-compatible class in Hibernia, that does not look as gay as Lurikeen or Elfs. Why can't Celts be nightshades? :rolleyes:

I also hope that we'll be able to play more than 4 characters per server, cause else I will have to kill 1-2 lvl 40+ by the time that add-on comes :)

That makes me wonder:
Will you have to buy the add-on to continue playing? Or will there be new servers for the add-on folks and old servers for the non-add-on people? That would mean starting from scratch then? Can any people with experience in online rpg please clear that up? I just don't want to quit this 700+ weaponcrafter here.

R

Rutger Hauer

Hey I like the sound of this a lot...excellent..
new graphics, more sounds, new characters etc.. :)

however, there are a few problems worth mentioning...
Firstly, I'ts not going to be a simultanous release, because as it has been already mentioned it will need to be heavily translated, and as GOA has stated that just translating minimal patches can (and is) taking months, how long before we Europeans will get this? This is no way a flame on GOA, and is not to be taken as so.

It would be interesting to know if this expansion pack updates all files to version 1.50..or maybe 1.60 when it's released?.. or will it be a new version 2.0, which means GOA are going to be very, very busy over the coming months to catch up with the US servers.

On a side note, when are the latest Euro patches going to be available?

Rutger

J

Jace

I'd rather have the sodding patches thank you very much :/

O

old.dittytwo

Originally posted by Hendrick
That makes me wonder:
Will you have to buy the add-on to continue playing? Or will there be new servers for the add-on folks and old servers for the non-add-on people? That would mean starting from scratch then? Can any people with experience in online rpg please clear that up? I just don't want to quit this 700+ weaponcrafter here.
if it was anything like EQ was you can still carry on playing but will not be able to cross over to the islnads or play the new races....
you will spend about two hours downloading all the new graphics for the players if you ahev not got the expanxion pack though....

O

old.ViU

yeah, maybe Mythic should fix the fcking game b4 releasing an expansion, maybe they havent noticed that 50% of their community will be moving to ShadowBane or SWG just like the JumpGate community did... especially when it will take GOA about 2 years to translate the expansion...

L

Lanceloc

Dunno about everyone else but Shadowbane looks very unpolished to me at the moment. DAoC's gfx are better. Even so, there are more race/class/professions you can shake a stick at and is very interesting stuff.

Still, levelling (killing monsters again and again) is required to advance in power, I am more interested in the new skill-based MMORPGs like AC2 and SWG (if i'm right).

G

Galatea

na, got to say, im off to world of warcraft :)

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

i don' think goa will take their time translating it, not where theres a fair bit of money involved :m00:'

S

SFXman

You know what this means? We will have patches by late 2002 ;)
They usually patch the game up in expansions, hehe. Please don't say GOA will leave patching to the expansion pack, noooooo :D

C

cAScADe

Isnt Morrowind Using the NetImmerse 4 engine?

If thats true then DAoC is gonna look even metter!

new races and stuffs gonna be cool, but i hope they keep the 'human only' feel for Albion and the 'Ugly people' every where else :p

:clap: :clap:

T

Tiwaz

Originally posted by SFXman
You know what this means? We will have patches by late 2002 ;)

Well, that would be expecting too much I think. I'm sure GOA is not going to release the expansion in europe at the same time Mythic releases it in US:(

Don't hold your breath, I warn you;)

O

old.xetius

Personally, this worries me. With so much balancing and bug fixing still to do before the game could even be considered non beta, they are now going to complicate matters more by releasing an addon pack.

Why dont they concentrate on what they already have rather than throwing new content at people.

L

Lanceloc

The game definately needs more content if it is to last as long as EQ.

When youre level 50 are you seriously gonna permanently do RvR and nothing else?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom