CV advice

Bahumat

FH is my second home
Hey guys,

I have seen this question come up in the past and a few members either work in recruitment, or just generally have a good knowledge of CV's. I was hoping I could pepper you with questions :p

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
include a photo of your privaties! or anyone's privaties tbh.

Chilly

Balls of steel
Hey guys,

I have seen this question come up in the past and a few members either work in recruitment, or just generally have a good knowledge of CV's. I was hoping I could pepper you with questions :p
Don't ask to ask, yo! Just ask!

Shagrat

I am a FH squatter
put that you give out sexual favours to management for quick promotions.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Century Gothic looks more modern. Arial just looks like you don't understand word processors. Times New Roman makes you look the same but American.

Decrease the border sizes to get more on your two pages but don't go over two or reduce the point size below 10.

Exaggerate where you need to. Don't be afraid to claim credit for stuff. Don't use 'we'. 'I' is better.

Nobody gives a shit about your GCSEs.

TdC

tell them you'll give anything you have more than one of to the company!

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Also, don't put "References are available on request." It sounds stupid, takes up space and you can talk about it in the covering note.

Put your professional qualifications in the "Why I'm so great" section at the top before your career history. Education at the bottom because unless you are just out of school it's the least relevant part.

TdC

that's all you need really. it's done.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Give them a blank page and tell them you transcend CVs. Management dig that.

Bahumat

FH is my second home
ok fuckpigs give uncle Bahumat some help :)

Nate

FH is my second home
name, contact details at the top

expertise next

work experience next, when, where, what as, detail some daily tasks like the time you posted on freddys asking for help and how proud you felt for typing that.

education/professional qualifications when, where, what, tell them you were a prefect at school too.

done.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Also make sure you have pictures on your CV, or a patterned background. Make it really stand out.

Chilly

Balls of steel
bear in mind I'm relatively recently out of university - hence talking about what I did there. As you get more experience, reduce academic blurb and focus on relevant experience. Tailor your CV to a given job by making relevant skills/experience more prominent or discuss them in more detail.

CorNokZ

Currently a stay at home dad
Ever since I put on my CV that I know how to solve a Rubik's cube I've had been invited to way more interviews. No shit

Going to an interview in two hours actually. Hopefully I get it, otherwise it is back on the school bench :/

Draylor

Part of the furniture
Get to the point FAR more quickly than you've managed in this thread

Fweddy

FH is my second home
Take the list of required skills from the job advert. Put your name and contact details above the list. Done.

Bahumat

FH is my second home
I hoped the people who deal with these had some tips on the layout, whether the "work well on my own and in a team" crap is necessary etc.

I hoped to see some examples of good cvs

fettoken

I am a FH squatter
Apparently solid advice is hard to come by due to some immensely cuntish persona's inhabiting FH! An exception is the Doctor FH thread.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
I hoped the people who deal with these had some tips on the layout, whether the "work well on my own and in a team" crap is necessary etc.

I hoped to see some examples of good cvs

tumblr_lm36uekbbf1qchox0o1_500.jpg

Jeros

Part of the furniture
My new one now I am fancy graduate goes:

Name and contact details

Education

Achivements

Skills

Employment history

Referances (numbers removed untill asked for)

Waiting to see how well it fares, I used the same basic format for about 15 odd years but my family who work in recruitment improved it for me.

My main issue is that as I have moved a lot a have had like 15+ jobs in my life, only 7 or so most recent UK ones are down on the CV however, thankfully I have no gaps, I have always been working or in eduation or both at the same time.

it was a but frustrating have to move from one town to a city to go to College before University but Colchester's College was too crap to offer an access course good enough to do a science degree with.

Last edited:

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
Don't put education first. Everyone told me that when I was looking.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Employers would rather see experience but education beats paper round or job at Tesco if it's your first "proper job"

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom