Confused Current state of consoles?

ECA

I am a FH squatter
After upgrading my PC 4 years ago and more recently, my 360 sat collecting dust. The only Console that has pulled me away from my PC is the Wii U. Nintendo make solid, fun games that are a great alternative to the normal AAA titles. Love the Pad, makes me want to buy a Nivida Shield. I can sit there playing games whilst the Mrs watches TV. Also its a great local multiplayer machine for when people come round.

Just buy a cheap windows tablet, you can install steam and use in home streaming+ a game controller you already own.

leggy

Probably Scottish
Just buy a cheap windows tablet, you can install steam and use in home streaming+ a game controller you already own.
Have you actually tried this? It's a bloody lagfest on an oldish i5 and a mobile gfx card capable of decoding x264. Maybe I'm doing something wrong but my internal network is solid and it's still a bit wank.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Have you actually tried this? It's a bloody lagfest on an oldish i5 and a mobile gfx card capable of decoding x264. Maybe I'm doing something wrong but my internal network is solid and it's still a bit wank.
Worked fine between my desktop pc and my laptop. However both are i7 and good gfx cards.

leggy

Probably Scottish
Worked fine between my desktop pc and my laptop. However both are i7 and good gfx cards.

My desktop is solid and the 'client' laptop connected is only decoding a video stream so I'm not sure why I get a framerate hit and some input latency. I might investigate more if I have time this week.

ECA

I am a FH squatter

You're doin it wrong then, I've tried it on a total shitbox laptop and it got 60fps and 10ms latency.
That was on my 2600k+280x - when I was first playing around with it.

leggy

Probably Scottish
You're doin it wrong then, I've tried it on a total shitbox laptop and it got 60fps and 10ms latency.
That was on my 2600k+280x - when I was first playing around with it.

So did you enable hardware encoding/decoding at the time? And 'network optimisation'? Also can you remember the OS you were using on the Client side.

I like how streaming is OS independent meaning that I can play windows games on a linux box but I'm not convinced that having 2 different OSes doesn't introduce otherwise unknown compatibility issues. I tried streaming from a windows 8.1 desktop PC to a Mac OS laptop running steam and while there was a picture, there were fucking loads of graphical artifacts.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
So did you enable hardware encoding/decoding at the time? And 'network optimisation'? Also can you remember the OS you were using on the Client side.

I like how streaming is OS independent meaning that I can play windows games on a linux box but I'm not convinced that having 2 different OSes doesn't introduce otherwise unknown compatibility issues. I tried streaming from a windows 8.1 desktop PC to a Mac OS laptop running steam and while there was a picture, there were fucking loads of graphical artifacts.
Mine was just random wasnt anything set up. I didnt realise i could do it till i installed steam on my laptop and suddenly had the option. Tried it on a few games with not real problems. And then didnt touch it since. Just normal settings and wifi to stream over

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Hardware encoding should be enabled, it lets steam use intels onboard cpu encoder stuff on more modern cpus or nvidia/amds onboard (nvenc/ amd vce ), instead of loading it up on the cpu directly.

I was using 8.1 on desktop, and xp on laptop ( it's that shit ). Some crappy core 2 duo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom