Confused Current state of consoles?

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
So for the first time since the PS2 I've not owned a current gen console (PS3 and 360 are basically bookends)

What's the current status of current gen consoles? Is there a definitive 'must own' yet? Or is it still at the point of just buying the one your mates have?

FF15 being on both platforms doesn't help. Halo is leading me to the XB1 but I've always been a Sony fanboi.

Give a master race player some help :(

Overdriven

Yeah that's the problem. I don't want to fork out £600 for both, when there's maybe one or two exclusives per console I'd play.

I'm going to wait for the hardware refresh anyway. But the problem won't go away

ECA

I am a FH squatter
I wouldn't bother.

A decent pc can play 4k 60fps in most games these days, I don't ever wanna go back to 900p 24fps ( xb1 ) or 1080p 30fps ( ps4 ).
Outside of bloodborne there's nothing worth playing on either.

FF15 may well come to pc SE have been a lot better lately.

If buying a 4k monitor and a r9 290/gtx970/980 doesnt float your boat then pretty much the other wait is for VR headset+390x.

Overdriven

Have a 4K and a R9 290.

No motherboard for another week though.

If Nix do 15 on PC I'll be happy.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Most here have ps4's including me. Its the console with the maginally better hardware and some nice exclusives just out in bloodborne and the order.

I would only go for xbox if you really want halo.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
A decent pc can play 4k 60fps in most games these days

*blinks*

Tell me friend, what is a decent PC these days? I mean, "can play" and "gives me joy to play" are two vastly different things, not to mention subjective as hell.

No offence, I have (what I consider to be) an above average PC, and no way in hell am I hitting a solid 60FPS on my 1440P monitor, let alone considering a 4K unit. Ofc, I have all kinds of eye-candy like AO, AA, AF, ultra high textures and physics and whatnot, not to mention the mysterious "post processing" as Engine vendors lable their magic shit going on, but I want that yummy candy. It makes me happy to see rays of light shining through trees, and blades of grass be sharp and distinct and all that gubbins :)

If I want all that pretty to bathe my lovely blue eyes at 4K, I'm wondering what kind of god-box I need to put under my desk, considering that I already am rocking a 4.6GHz CPU, and dual '970 GTX's 0_o

Last edited:

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Most games, not a shoddy console port stuffed with shitty ENB settings ;)m

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
hah you noticed my complaints about FC4? :D

I admit, in things like Elite:D, I am ~100FPS at all times

Overdriven

If I want all that pretty to bathe my lovely blue eyes at 4K, I'm wondering what kind of god-box I need to put under my desk, considering that I already am rocking a 4.6GHz CPU, and dual '970 GTX's 0_o

Quad-SLI Titan X.

Overdriven

If only I had £5,000 disposable income :/

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Rubbish, you could do it with a pair of 295x2s. Probably a single one if it's only one screen but the framerates might be near peasant-levels at points.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
I wouldn't bother.

A decent pc can play 4k 60fps in most games these days, I don't ever wanna go back to 900p 24fps ( xb1 ) or 1080p 30fps ( ps4 ).
Outside of bloodborne there's nothing worth playing on either.

FF15 may well come to pc SE have been a lot better lately.

If buying a 4k monitor and a r9 290/gtx970/980 doesnt float your boat then pretty much the other wait is for VR headset+390x.

Final Fantasy 15 may indeed come to PC but given how long it took them to get Final Fantasy XIII and XIII-2 on PC I wouldn't hold your breath for another 4+ years at least... MAYBE! it was reported a few months ago that there was a job opening regarding Final Fantasy 15 and it was listed as online + pc platform.

As to the thread in general

Both consoles are fine I guess, if you want the better bang for money paid however i'd get a Playstation 4 as technically speaking its better, the CPU is slightly (and I do mean slightly) slower than the Xbox One but the GPU is on paper 40% faster giving developers much more freedom for it when it comes to higher resolutions. Neither of them will ever hold a candle to a good PC though (obviously)

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Dont waste your time with consoles. Unless you like retro. Spend the money on a high end graphics card.

Its not like there are any exclusives worth the cost of a console.

...also, final fantasy has been terrible since 10, which was a ps2 game.

TheDoon

Can't get enough of FH
Bloodborne and Uncharted 4 (next year) are the only games that might hook me in.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
Dont waste your time with consoles. Unless you like retro. Spend the money on a high end graphics card.

Its not like there are any exclusives worth the cost of a console.

...also, final fantasy has been terrible since 10, which was a ps2 game.

12 was fine actually, didn't go down to well because fans can't seem to get out of the turn based battle loop and look for alternative systems. Type-0 was fine, Crisis Core was fine - so not sure where you're getting this from @Raven :p

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
iirc the combat was fine but it was really starting to get too corridorish.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
iirc the combat was fine but it was really starting to get too corridorish.

I guess, I thought it was more or less the same as Final Fantasy X as far as corridors go though tbh, the only area in FFX that had any form of exploration was that large plains area.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
PS4 is the markedly better system, it deals with all the niggles of the PS3 (endless updates) and I now actually prefer the dual shock 4 (though the battery life is not great).

The fact that it's based on FreeBSD doesn't hurt either, no performance issues, everything just works.

It does now require the PSN subscription but the free games make up for that and it's a carry over from Microsoft getting away with charging on the previous generation.

So do the right thing, keep Sony in business, if only to keep @Bodhi quiet!

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
An EX EA employee hit the nail on the head as far as console wars go, he basically said

"Sony has won because Microsoft tried to compete with apple in the entertainment/media market while Sony just focussed on gaming."

I have to admit I was going to buy an Xbox One initially but when I seen the Microsoft live conference and they kept pushing TV TV TV TV TV it was just like... errr no thank you.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
An EX EA employee hit the nail on the head as far as console wars go, he basically said

"Sony has won because Microsoft tried to compete with apple in the entertainment/media market while Sony just focussed on gaming."

I have to admit I was going to buy an Xbox One initially but when I seen the Microsoft live conference and they kept pushing TV TV TV TV TV it was just like... errr no thank you.

Load of nonsense, the higher price point combined with lower specs is what did it.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Load of nonsense, the higher price point combined with lower specs is what did it.
The whole "you can't share games" diatribe also fucked them over.

Billargh

I am a FH squatter
Thing is, last gen I don't remember any people with PS3 feeling like they were missing out on stuff. This gen I got an Xbone and regret it quite a bit, wish I'd went with the PS4.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Only thing on 360 I wouldn't have minded playing was Gears of War, nothing else really blew my skirt up if i'm honest.

Only know one person with a One - he's fed up of not having any games and the usual MS crashes he's looking at selling it for a PS4....

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Only thing on 360 I wouldn't have minded playing was Gears of War, nothing else really blew my skirt up if i'm honest.

Only know one person with a One - he's fed up of not having any games and the usual MS crashes he's looking at selling it for a PS4....
Forza horizons i would have liked to play that. Only game i miss

Billargh

I am a FH squatter
Every single X1 game I have is cross platform, except D4, which was a big selling point because I love Swery's games. All the exclusives I thought I might've got or give a shit about I haven't bothered with (Halo/Sunset Overdrive etc).

PLightstar

Part of the furniture
After upgrading my PC 4 years ago and more recently, my 360 sat collecting dust. The only Console that has pulled me away from my PC is the Wii U. Nintendo make solid, fun games that are a great alternative to the normal AAA titles. Love the Pad, makes me want to buy a Nivida Shield. I can sit there playing games whilst the Mrs watches TV. Also its a great local multiplayer machine for when people come round.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom