Crysis SP demo

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Anyone here know about Vista gaming? When I run this thing completely maxed @ 1280x1024 2xAA I get what appears to be about 15-20FPS.

Either vista is slowing it down and something needs to be changed or my system doesn't cut it - I really hope it's not the latter. Any ideas appreciated - my system specs are further up the page.

Mazling

Can't get enough of FH
Very pretty indeed but...........boring?

Wheres the story? "Do this...do that...go here....shoot that". Just like Farcry tbh.

It isn't a big improvement over far cry at all, I agree. It is a fair bit better than MoH: Airborne and CoD 4 demo :)

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Anyone here know about Vista gaming? When I run this thing completely maxed @ 1280x1024 2xAA I get what appears to be about 15-20FPS.

Either vista is slowing it down and something needs to be changed or my system doesn't cut it - I really hope it's not the latter. Any ideas appreciated - my system specs are further up the page.

Probably just Vista. I'm on XP with a c2d6750 and 8800 gts, it runs at 1680x1050 on medium settings just fine.

WPKenny

Resident Freddy

nVidia have released some new beta drivers specifically for Crysis. Have you tried these?

Kryten

Old Cow.
Oooh I've not tried those yet, even though I've no performance loss at full detail on a 7900GS. Will try later.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Not hugely impressed, the graphics are awesome ofc but the enemies are trailer park stupid.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
nVidia have released some new beta drivers specifically for Crysis. Have you tried these?
I hadn't, however I did find a thread on some other site discussing the awful performance on very high with top hardware on vista. Turns out if you flick shader level in advanced graphics options down to high, and leave everything else on very high you get a significant increase in fps. I tried that and it worked very well.

Rulke

Can't get enough of FH
I can run it at a decent framerate but the game itself just feels ... sluggish.

After the crispness of HL2:ep2's controls - it just doesnt feel right, like wading through treacle or something.

Anyone else found this, or just me?

Kryten

Old Cow.
Sorry, going against my word.
Played a bit more of the demo and I'm about as impressed as a rich man being showed a second hand vauxhall corsa. I've already gone "Oooh" at the graphics, and if I wanted to play it longer, I'll install Farcry again. At least I already own it and would save me wasting another 30 quid on this.

In full honesty, it's likely I will dedicate more of my useful gaming time playing Peggle than this, whilst waiting for some far deeper games to arrive on PC.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
To be fair it is only part of the first level (and not even 100% finished) the AI clearly needs sorting out, i like the idea of the suit and weapon mods.

Will wait and see what the reviews say, maybe worth a download and then buy if its good, though as a rule i don't like to pay for EA games

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Well I've bought Bioshock but its taking ages to download over Steam :(

I played the demo again and it is actually very atmospheric, and theres tonnes of stuff to look at.

Did anyone else almost hit their keyboard at the number of logos and swooshes at the start of that Crysis demo?

Kryten

Old Cow.
Yes tom. Over and over.

Anyway.

Spent hours, days etc putting together many test systems, running endless benchmarks and test analytic softwares with many common recent games and have come up with the following conclusive evidence which I have cunningly laid out in a graph format for the less intelligent to follow :

crysisbench.jpg

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Not fair, the graphics in Portal and Ep2 were stunning :)

Mazling

Can't get enough of FH
If only crysis made it matter where you shot people. Headshots count but I would like to wound someone and let the others rush to help, so my grenade can get them all in one go.
Nice game engine showcase, shame about the game.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
going to give this a try, might be worthwhile
Holy shit, it only fucking works aswell. Very nice find, Mabs.

So much for DX10 Vista only features. The cfg files are simply console commands, so it really is a case of just being an artificial block on XP machines.

Mabs

J Peasemould Gruntfuttock
yup worked for me aswell, its really nice and really bastard annoying at the same time, wankers :(

nath

Fledgling Freddie
I wonder if they'll comment on why they blocked those features from the xp version.. :)

throdgrain

FH is my second home
Didnt work for me. I changed the thing, put everything on high, and it went about 2fps :(

Ono

Part of the furniture
FFS. Can I get MS to give me a refund on Vista?

Mabs

J Peasemould Gruntfuttock
Didnt work for me. I changed the thing, put everything on high, and it went about 2fps :(

hardly their fault :) might be time to invest in a new rubber band or 2 for the machine :D

throdgrain

FH is my second home
Yes thats right, my Core 2 on a Asus P5B Deluxe with 2 gig of Corsair ram and a 7900 GTO 512mb video card is pretty out of date really I know.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Try it without changing the shader cfg file - when that's set to very high things really do slow to a crawl.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Well duh Throd, you got a bottle neck at your graphics.

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Yes thats right, my Core 2 on a Asus P5B Deluxe with 2 gig of Corsair ram and a 7900 GTO 512mb video card is pretty out of date really I know.

You need a new power supply.....

:D :england::clap:

raw

One of Freddy's beloved
FFS. Can I get MS to give me a refund on Vista?

If it came pre-installed on your PC (say HP/DELL) you may be able to downgrade it free of charge to XP, i did :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom