Crysis SP demo

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Noice one, installing now.

Hopefully we'll see some proper Crysis DX10 vs DX9 comparisons and see if there's actually any significant difference.

Ono

Part of the furniture
FFS, mine's still downloading.

Mazling

Can't get enough of FH
Only 500kb/s, lame!!! MP beta was alright btw, the nanosuit is a nice gameplay twist :)

Ono

Part of the furniture
There ya go. Giving me about 25fps with everything on Very High with 2 x AA (1680 x 1050)

crysisa.jpg

crysisb.jpg

crysisc.jpg

crysise.jpg

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
Hi guys

I was curious to see how well it plays on an old system, so I put on my three-year old laptop (Pentium M 1.6Ghz, 1.25GB RAM, Radeon 9700 128MB) and it runs surprising well (800x600, low settings, the only problem is stuttering sound).

Obviously everything is scaled back, but it still looks pretty enough, and the player models remain surprisingly detailed. Considering the flack Crytek are getting over this, I don't think they done too badly in terms of backwards compatibility (in comparison, the Source Engine is still the best in terms of scaling, whereas Unreal Engine 3.0 seems to be the worst, although the latter is not yet released).

Kind regards

Jonty

P.S. As for the demo, I also enjoyed it :)

Kryten

Old Cow.
Am I the only one thinking "hmm, farcry with updated graphics?"
Of course I'm yet to install it, I'm dloading atm (860kbps :/ ) and will have a look see then :)

throdgrain

FH is my second home
I have a high-end dx9 graphics card, and my son has a mid-range dx10, but we both have otherwise the same pcs, will be interesting to see a comparison.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
So far DX10 hasn't really impressed, if anything its meant a performance hit (talking about other games here) by 5 or so FPS, though the DX10 cards are generally still better than a DX9 card when running in DX9 mode.

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
Am I the only one thinking "hmm, farcry with updated graphics?"
You're right, there are a lot of similarities, so it feels 'familiar' when playing. However, the graphics are a significant step up, and some of the new gameplay elements are fun and novel. Like Far Cry, there's quite a lot of replay value in terms of how you approach a situation, and the new suit modes seems quite well-balanced.

Kind regards

Jonty

P.S. For those running Vista, if you right-click the Crysis option in the Games Explorer, you can choose whether to play it in DirectX 9 or 10 mode. Of course you need to have a DX10-capable card for the latter.

Ono

Part of the furniture
I spotted very little difference between DX10 and DX9.

Only disappointing bit in the game is the enemy on show. Not that well drawn and not that inspiring either (your standard N Korean thickos).

Mabs

J Peasemould Gruntfuttock
played it DX9, foad Vista.
love it, flys on my machine everything on , very nice looking. suit, modular weapons ,etc, are all very nice. Is very similair to FarCry, granted, but i loved that, no "levels", just little notices when you move to a new area, works for me

overall defo going to get it, but its quite a system whore, had the MPBeta on my old machine, and it ran like a bugger with everything down, you will need serious hardware to get it to do all its tricks, but it should be at least playable on 1-2 year old PCs with some tweaking.

Only disappointing bit in the game is the enemy on show. Not that well drawn and not that inspiring either (your standard N Korean thickos).

from what ive seen those get replaced quite quickly with the "cough cough" .

Ono

Part of the furniture
70k/s on 20MB. Fuck that.

Can only assume that the line is getting pounded as it was due for release at 12.00 GMT officially. :kissit:

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Holy shit that's good. Seriously good.

(I just played it again, different tactics this time and it was even more fun.)

Kryt, you're right it's got very similar gameplay to Far Cry, but much more... evolved.

Ono are you on vista? Cos I'm on XP and couldn't get it to very high mode, I can only assume you can't on XP as I've got an 8800gtx so it shouldn't be that..

Mabs

Ono are you on vista? Cos I'm on XP and couldn't get it to very high mode, I can only assume you can't on XP as I've got an 8800gtx so it shouldn't be that..

id assume its the same as most things, "very high" = DX10

Ono

Part of the furniture
Yeah, on Vista 32 with DX10.

Chilly

Balls of steel
hmm. So what marks it any different than the last 25 fps games? Sorry, but all thats different is the skinning of the engine and the map design to my eyes.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Fucksake that sucks man. I just tried it on vista with very high mode and there does seem to be some nice extras. However, as with all games on vista I lose about 15-20fps because it's such a monumentally shit platform.

So I've got a core 2 duo e6600, 2gbs of ram and an 8800gtx. It runs at an acceptable rate but it's not nice like that. However, on XP it's slick as ever.

Fuck MS for making DX10 vista only, fuck them right in the ear.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Same set up as me, there is no way i am going to use Vista for at least another year, technically DX10 should work in XP which makes it even shitter.

Kryten

Old Cow.
Vista 32 with a DX9 card, e6600, 3gb wam, runs like a charm.
Not overly impressed so far - yeah the graphics are nice but it's not jumped up at me and shouted PLAY ME PLAY ME, certainly not in the same way as Portal does every time I fire up Steam.
But that's only a tiny portion of the game. I think it's impressed me enough to warrant buying it. Which of course is their entire aim ;)

I think what I'm waiting for is proper innovation. Nintendo proved with the Wii in the same fashion that Valve did with Portal that graphics aren't everything - it takes more to make the game special as a whole.
Yeah I'm increasinly hard to please, a few years ago I would have just been eagerly waiting for another base FPS (fuck it, another Quake) to come out.
But I think I'm looking at the likes of Alan Wake, Assassins Creed etc to push innovation a little further ahead of the overlapping graphics.

Mabs

I think what I'm waiting for is proper innovation. Nintendo proved with the Wii in the same fashion that Valve did with Portal that graphics aren't everything - it takes more to make the game special as a whole.
Yeah I'm increasinly hard to please, a few years ago I would have just been eagerly waiting for another base FPS (fuck it, another Quake) to come out.
But I think I'm looking at the likes of Alan Wake, Assassins Creed etc to push innovation a little further ahead of the overlapping graphics.

id agree with that, but then i tend to support anything that isnt "EA's 200x knuckle draggers sports sim that is exactly the same as last year with new box art" :puke:

its good for a shooter, if you dont like shooters thats fair enough. it is a good one tho so cant complain.

throdgrain

FH is my second home
Runs fine on my PC, and looks great, but it didnt grab me massively. When I shoot someone point blank with an AK-47-clone I just dont want them to stagger, take two steps back then come at me again. Its just stupid :(

Mabs

Runs fine on my PC, and looks great, but it didnt grab me massively. When I shoot someone point blank with an AK-47-clone I just dont want them to stagger, take two steps back then come at me again. Its just stupid :(

and having a body glove that can make you go invisible strikes you as perfectly normal ? :D

Kryten

Old Cow.
Nail on head Mabs - it's the EA style of "gaming" I'm trying very hard to stay clear of.

Well, I'll buy it at some point and go from there :D

WPKenny

Resident Freddy
Hmmmm. Not sure about this. The games ok. It doesn't reach out and grab me like the graphics did but the problem is the framerate.

If I lower the settings to "low" I get a very good frame rate since my gfx card is the bottleneck but since the game is designed mostly as an outdoors game, the pop up is really annoying.

I really like the graphics tho. Really really like them. Very impressive motion blur type thing when you move your view around quickly. First time I've seen it done properly.

I also like throwing the turtle around the beach. :flame:

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Very pretty indeed but...........boring?

Wheres the story? "Do this...do that...go here....shoot that". Just like Farcry tbh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom