CRC Errors

burg

Fledgling Freddie
Yup, CRC errors, and lots of them. Basicly almost anything downloaded from internet bigger than 50mb. Called tech support, they said it could be anything - almost impossible to find out what.

Sooo I'm pretty much screwed aye?

jaba

Fledgling Freddie
You might wanna tell us a bit more about the problem...what sort of system and connection are you on? when did this start? have you got getright or any kind of download manager installed?
A CRC is a checksum which looks at the bytes in the files and checks that they match with the data it has available, so if a packet is lost it knows the file is corrupted. So if your connection is dropping packets and not retransmitting them for some reason the CRC errors would appear.

burg

Fledgling Freddie
I got a Matsonic Mainboard MS9137C with 2000+xp, my OS is win2kpro. I recently changed to 2mbit, i had 512adsl earlier. I've had this problem since I got this computer (about 1 year ago or so). But I've never been too much arsed about it because I never downloaded any big files then. My network card is Realtek RTL8139(A) PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter. I don't know much about my harddrive besides it's 60gb big. My brother who has the exact same settings as I have but different harddrive and 1800xp instead of 2000xp is having the same problems.

jaba

Fledgling Freddie
How are you both connected to the internet? do you use getright? can you copy files from one another ok?

xane

Fledgling Freddie
Where is the CRC error happening ? During the download or when the unpacking or installation software is run.

I ask this because I downloaded Desert Combat 0.7 the other day, over 500MB, and it threw out a CRC error when I tried to run/unpack it. Yet after a machine reboot it was okay, so the error lay in the software not the file.

burg

Fledgling Freddie
We are connected to internet through a router. I don't use any downloading programs, I once tried one but got CRC errors with it too (it wasnt getright). We can copy files to each other without those giving CRC errors.

The CRC error is happening during the unpacking or when the installation software is run.

Dead case or? :(

xane

Fledgling Freddie
Have you tried rebooting and then run/unpack ?

xane

Fledgling Freddie
And this happening on _all_ downloads > 50MB ?

burg

Fledgling Freddie
xane said:
And this happening on _all_ downloads > 50MB ?
Everything that I've downloaded for the past month that needs to be unpacked - yes.

xane

Fledgling Freddie
I just read this MSKB article, whilstit isn't really applicable to your solution it does give an idea.

Change your disk to PIO mode and see if that solves it.

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
I had a similar problem when I was using conflicting pairs of registered DDR in my Athlon64 FX. Have you added any new RAM lately?

Xav

burg

Fledgling Freddie
I've changed everything to pio now. I tried to extract a 50mb file but got CRC error. Now trying to install a downloaded game (PristonTale). Going very very slow, this will take some time.

I haven't put in any new RAM lately. I got 256 DDR RAM currently running, it's ben running since I got this comp. :) Tried 562 DDR Kingstone RAM once that I borrowed from my brother to test if it's was my RAM giving me the CRC errors, but I still got the CRC errors. :(

burg

Fledgling Freddie
xane said:
I just read this MSKB article, whilstit isn't really applicable to your solution it does give an idea.

Change your disk to PIO mode and see if that solves it.
Holy cow! :D PIO mode worked installing a game that earlier gave me CRC errors!!!! :)))

Although I can't always run PIO mode everything is going way too slow :(

xane

Fledgling Freddie
I'd guess then something is up with the disks or disk controller.

burg

Fledgling Freddie
xane said:
I can't find information on the MS9137C, so I'll assume its a VIA chipset and recommend you install the latest 4-in-1 drivers for 2K then.
MS8137C I did a typo earlier :)

Yeah it's a VIA chipset. Got those drivers already installed. Although the VIA Bus Master IDE Controller wasn't the one I changed to PIO mode, it actually couldn't even be changed to anything because it didn't have the advanced option. I changed Primary IDE Channel and Secondary IDE Channel which both uses drivers provided by Microsoft. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom