crafting changes....

Golena

Fledgling Freddie
I've written this before but I think there's a great way to make crafting useful.

a) you should be able to level up by killing mobs around the level of the crafter. If you want to get from 1-10 tailoring go kill some level 5 mobs that drop skins. Make an item with the skins for a guaranteed level up! It's faster, fits in nicely with your leveling in a roleplaying way, and much less frustrating. Maybe make it so you have to buy the thread so it's not free. A bit WoWish maybe but it really does work, and tying crafting into your characters leveling progression is the only way to make it enjoyable, and not just a downtime button clicking fest. It could also be used to get the oldlands mobs worth exping on again as you'd be esentially getting your crafting up at the same time. It's also a good inscentive to not PL, kill another bird with the same stone.

b) Weaponcrafters get more DPS from their weapons, armourcrafters get more AF from their chain, spellcrafters get to wear armour with more imbue. Now you get a bonus from the crafting that's more than just being able to sell an item for 3g profit. Your characters chosen crafting profession now actually effects them, again adding to the roleplaying element of it. A weaponcrafter would be able to customise the hilt of his sword to fit in with his personal fighting style so there's no reason why he shouldn't be able to do more damage.

UndyingAngel

Can't get enough of FH
in all fairness the DAOC crafing system, for the most part imho is fine, when you get LGM you feel like you have done somthing.
WoW crafting is so comment than even when you get 300+ you dont think anything off it.

afaik the next free patch from mythic will be centered around crafting or so I have read anyway, Crafting needs to compete with all items you can get, it doesnt need to be made easyer.

what is it with eveyone wanting Insta 50, insta Gear, insta money, Insts MP when you craft if you want this you are in the wrong game.

Golena

Fledgling Freddie
UndyingAngel said:
what is it with eveyone wanting Insta 50, insta Gear, insta money, Insts MP when you craft if you want this you are in the wrong game.

This isn't the problem with crafting tho. It's the fact that after spending hours of lets face it (watching TV while pressing a button, probably not even looking at the screen, not the most exciting gaming experience ever!!) you end up with a skill that's pretty much completely useless.

If you actually get someone wanting an item they will completely refuse to give any more money for it than you could of made killing blue-con's slowly for the same amount of time. This leads quickly to the fact that no-one wants to craft for anyone else (it's simply not worth it). I've lost count of the number of people with LGM crafters that leveled them to make their own gear (finding someone to do it for them was impossible), and will refuse to make anything for anyone other than their best mates. It's probably about 99% of the crafting population!!

So you've got a large timesink with zero enjoyment for pretty much zero benefit. I don't want an insta LGM.. but if i'm going to spend time getting one, I want it to either (a) serve a purpose or (b) be fun to do. The only difficulty in leveling an LGM crafter is getting the initiative to actually turn my second PC on and log the character in, normally that actually seems like too much effort for the benefit I get from it.

Yes everyone might have a crafter in WoW. That means there's lots of people out there to make what you need. If I wanted a thid sword for my alt in DaoC and didn't have a weaponcrafter myself i'd probably give up after 3 weeks of finding no-one willing to make one, which is the current game situation.. Why do you think they introduced easy to get leveling gear in cata's.. it's because finding someone to actually make you some is like trying to find hay in a needle stack. It's much like the other way round but more painful and doesn't exist in the first place.

Agrigo

Can't get enough of FH
Imo , should get exp / Rp / masterlevel exp / champ exp for every item made that is above a certain qual.
Id be happy with that tbh , along with more skins and so on =)

Gibberish

Fledgling Freddie
Vell said:
For the bast crafting system in an online game ever, look at Horizons. Shitty game, but absolutely superb crafting.

/Agree

Also the crafting system in EQ2 was very very good. All crafters were dependent on others for some materials (not just as Mythic have it now with AC'ers and Tailors). This gave rise to quite a vubrant economy where even the most mundane items could be sold and were sort after by others. Worked very well IMO

Vell

Fledgling Freddie
Gibberish said:
/Agree

Also the crafting system in EQ2 was very very good. All crafters were dependent on others for some materials (not just as Mythic have it now with AC'ers and Tailors). This gave rise to quite a vubrant economy where even the most mundane items could be sold and were sort after by others. Worked very well IMO

Oh yes, EQ2 was good too. Until they changed it so that everyone could make everything. Then it sucked donkeyballs.

SkarIronfist

Fledgling Freddie
Crafting is without a doubt the biggest yawn in the game. Even though its not a area I spend alot of time on (Though I have a 3 lgms). It is most in need of a revamp.

Its a time sink and it makes no bones about it. With it stone age interface. Some of the comment below have been made before.

1. Leveling - Should be able to level off drops of mobs. This would make people more likely to explore old areas of the game. It would also provide the player with multiple things to concentrate on as they level their character.

You should also be able to buy ingredients from merchants to level off. They should have a price premium over "mob drop items", but this would allow players with money to power level a craft. Make it some thing like 30- 50% more.

2. Once a character is LGM, that character should be able to add another crafting skill to the character again to LGM. Then another.

Basically making the character a multiple discipline LGM crafter.

I would like this multiple LGM character to be able to access recipes which sit between their LGM diciplines. These would have to be worthwhile receipies. Each LGM part would allow slighly more exotic options.

I would also like to see each LGM added to a character increase the chances of a 99/100%.

Another good reason would be ... Since we don't have in game mail. Someone could actually spellcraft and armour craft the same item.

3. Add "Make all". Its just wrong in a game of these era to expect a person to sit a computer and just press the button.

4. Make it worthwhile to be an LGM. Very high 1100 LGM crafters should be able to make equipment just below the functionality of artifacts. Maybe these items would have base stats, which a spell crafter could add to. So you take a LGM item and spell craft more onto it.

LGM 1100 recipe ingredients should come off Mob Bosses ... forcing people into old dungeons.

Artifatcs would still have all the cool charges and abilities.

5. Fix Spell crafting ... it needs to be so much cleaner. Allow the user to be able to buy a "Gem" and that would obtain the various component bits to make that finished spell crafted gem.

So instead of seeing a list of spell crafting components, you see "glah blah blah gem" +19 dex.

Golena

Fledgling Freddie
SkarIronfist said:
5. Fix Spell crafting ... it needs to be so much cleaner. Allow the user to be able to buy a "Gem" and that would obtain the various component bits to make that finished spell crafted gem.

So instead of seeing a list of spell crafting components, you see "glah blah blah gem" +19 dex.

Spellcrafting could be improved 100% by allowing non-spellcrafters to imbue the gems onto their items. That way an sc'er could simply sell the gems on their CM, and not have to be present during the process.
If they don't want to make them simply imbuable, have a merchant in the market that will imbue them on your item for a price.

ilaya

Can't get enough of FH
Appendix said:
Give lgm crafters the ability to restore durability on dropped items.

For instance, I have 3 darkspire armor pieces on my wizard that eventually will wear out and become useless. When that happens I will be forced to farm new ones, which I know I never will have the patience to do. Make it so lgm crafters can not only repair all items but also restore durability, of course at an appropriate material cost.

Or optionally, give lgm crafters the ability to "reverse engineer" dropped items. For instance if a lgm AC finds a Darkspire hauberk and chooses to take it apart to learn how it's made, that would permanently give him the skill to manufacture copies as long as he has access to the correct materials (which would have to be farmed).

i like that reverse engineer thing, sounds good idea..

dont make crafting easy like on wow else u gonna face 10 fg of lgm hibs running around on glastonbury every day.

need new alchemy and SC options.. str caps etc.. heals procs, extra attack spd..

when this game first started, mythic said.. the best items will be player made.. remember that? simply aint the case anymore. most crafters are doing it for repair rp's and salvage cash. ofc there's a few loonies who want every char a LGM crafter but its not really worth doing for the average joe atm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom