Crafting and whiners

CjkaceBM

Fledgling Freddie
For the first time ever I took an order for Masterpiece Reinf, three pieces - boots, sleeves and legs.

I pre-warned the customer that it could cost between 3p and 6p and was told fine so I started crafting.

Boots took 143 attempts.
Sleeves took 57 attempts.

I charged:

1659 gold for boots.
1368 gold for sleeves.

The guy was a bit upset (quite naturally IMO) about the high cost (paid me 3p 24g NO TIP OR THANK YOU), so I asked him if he wanted to carry on (further warning him that 100 attempts would cost 3.5p) with leggings. He said no.

While I was waiting for a guild group to form I bought the materials and made 10 attempts on the leggings and got MP on 10th attempt, which I put on my merchant for 5p 'cos I was pissed off with 7 hours of crafting for zero reward (when people will pay 4p up for scrolls etc) and get the guy flaming me?

Q1 - Should I have PMed the guy and offered him the leggings first?
Q2 - Should the guy have at least shown some gratitude for my time even though it cost more than he expected?
Q3 - Should I ever take a MP order again?

Spamb0t

Fledgling Freddie
u coulda done that.. offer it to him for the same price u put em on merchant for

ofcourse!

if u wanna ;o

Elricstormbringer

Fledgling Freddie
Always include a profit margin in what you craft then you do not have to worry about a tip.

As for those leggings, well he said to stop, so, those leggings are yours to do with what you wish.

Taking MP orders can be risky and the problem is caused by bad luck on the old RNG. Some people understand this and others do not. It is the ones who do not you usually have trouble with. A lot think after 50 goes out pops an MP.

censi

Can't get enough of FH
this is the gr8 joy of daoc.

There is no generic right or wrong.

you do what u feel is best and fair.

The fact that you are asking yourself this question is a good sign.

Offering him the legs would have been very generous. He then gets the benfit of his own bad luck on re-tries.

The real underlying problem is people dont pre-pare themselves for the reality of what ordering a MP part is. You can really get shafted money wise if the crafter doesnt get lucky. That comes with the territory though.

Crafter should not feel bad about this though.

however i still think some prices are a bit high. I expect to pay 10 plat for example for a full suit of RF. I would definetly not order the vest on retries, and prefer to shop around all the armouer crafter picking up stock parts so I dont stich myself on retries.

Laryssa

Regular Freddie
i started to ask people as the order if they will whine about the price ;)

Boni

Fledgling Freddie
Ive never leveled a crafter above 1000, just got one tailor on exactly 1000 for trinketing. I know how much time and cash goes into getting LGM...

If I order an MP item, or something that will take a crafter ages, then ill sure as hell give 50%-100% tip.

People who mess legitimate crafters around should be named n shamed so the rest of us dont waste our time on them.

Freppe

Fledgling Freddie
Lotsa times ive ended up not getting anything. Ive like said a limit for 4~ p. For a hauberk or whatever. But not gotten any item cus he didnt get one. Its smth you gotta face that it could happen. Just hope the crafter is not lying to you etc. Cause that sucks.

Fluid

Can't get enough of FH
i borrowed a friends acct to make some MP rf, it ended up costing me 11plat for sleeves, legs, gloves, helm. over 100 retries on 2 pieces and over 50 on the other 2

Gargo

Fledgling Freddie
1- No, he called off agreement, thats his problem.
2- Yes, I always tip my crafters as it only seems fair for the time and effort they put into things
3- Yes, theres still hassle-free money to be made from MP orders, tho only craft for the 'well known players' imo.

gia

Fledgling Freddie
You should have included your cut in the final price, maybe the reason he was pissed was because he was expecting to pay a lower amount and thought that you were being expensive. (Not trying to say anything about you here, just maybe explain his reactions)

If he didn't like the price you could have very well put them up on your cm instead, there's a large shortage of mp stuff on the market, I don't think you would have any trouble selling even making a profit too.

Aloca

Fledgling Freddie
When i do alch orders i always charge a bit over the prize, why? becouse it is damn expensive.

But people often whine saying that they can buy it cheaper in housing etc etc.
Most people expect a crafter to sit and craft for 30-1 hour for 20g profit

Deadnala

Fledgling Freddie
Common problem, i crafted so many for free that i did /setwho class
Try to get a prepay, specialy on MP

greetz

Vodkafairy

Fledgling Freddie
bad luck is bad luck, you spent those hours of crafting for him (not for your own fun) and it's unfair to repay you with whining and no tip what so ever

i agree with the above poster who said you should count in extra money at the start tho, unless its a friend.. and afaik friends dont whine for a silly reason like this ;)

ceixava

Fledgling Freddie
you did the right thing, crafting in daoc aint actually a joy, ive stopped doing mp orderes totally, except for ppl i know

msot of the time i rather order my stuff from others than craft it myself

CjkaceBM

Fledgling Freddie
My problem is that I actually craft for people's benefit, not my own.

Every pair of RF boots crafted loses 11.6g approx - I tried 143 times (143 x 11.6 = 1658.8g) and charged the guy cost. Fair enough it was more than he expected to pay but to then accuse me of

a: ripping him off because he was new to Excalibur
b: being the reason that the economy is foobared in DAoC

as well as saying - fair enough make money like this and make enemies - just pisses me right off.

Had the guy said go ahead with the legs I would have given them to him for 350g and hoped for a tip.

His attitude has really annoyed me, that's why the legs are on my merch for 5p, and I really regret ever taking this MP order. It's the very reason I stayed away from doing MP orders. I remember paying 11plat for a MP Angled Dagger, and I was pissed off, but I didn't vent it on the guy who took the time to craft.

Wyleia

Fledgling Freddie
Its the way crafting has always been.. My record was about uhh 250 tries on a leather jerkin costing a total of 7.9p for just that part. If people dont understand the luck of crafting, they shouldnt ORDER parts but rather buy them premade (liek the 5p legs you put on your vendor). And if you spend your time making the item, and your time gaining the craft skill to make that item, and the money it costs to gain enough craft skill to make that item (for scale it takes tailor+AC , so 2 chars plus 2x the leveling time/cost), yes you should charge a percent profit.. maybe a set fee per hour u spend on their armor or smth.

Yaemon

Fledgling Freddie
Just treat people depending on how they treat you.. you'll never be happy treating people nice who respond with disrespect and childish behaviour.

Kudos to you who actually take up crafting and spend hours and hours at the forge... atleast you deserve good $ for your work.

Hakansson

Fledgling Freddie
I always take's MP order's with a big laugh and tell em im insanely expencive :>

and if they accept that i might acctualy think about starting on it ^^

/saves you from cheap arse's that think's it's cheap to craft Oo

Cliccz0r^

Fledgling Freddie
doing mp orders is a pain :) i always make the buyer set a max, where i need to contact him for aproval to go on or stop. and i always keep 1 99% if i get the stop on the order, so they wont go away empty handed.

but yes it's a gamble to order mp's from a crafter - can save u lots, but might backfire on u and thats the chance u take :)

Sheph

Fledgling Freddie
CjkaceBM said:
For the first time ever I took an order for Masterpiece Reinf, three pieces - boots, sleeves and legs.

I pre-warned the customer that it could cost between 3p and 6p and was told fine so I started crafting.

Boots took 143 attempts.
Sleeves took 57 attempts.

I charged:

1659 gold for boots.
1368 gold for sleeves.

The guy was a bit upset (quite naturally IMO) about the high cost (paid me 3p 24g NO TIP OR THANK YOU), so I asked him if he wanted to carry on (further warning him that 100 attempts would cost 3.5p) with leggings. He said no.

While I was waiting for a guild group to form I bought the materials and made 10 attempts on the leggings and got MP on 10th attempt, which I put on my merchant for 5p 'cos I was pissed off with 7 hours of crafting for zero reward (when people will pay 4p up for scrolls etc) and get the guy flaming me?

Q1 - Should I have PMed the guy and offered him the leggings first?
Q2 - Should the guy have at least shown some gratitude for my time even though it cost more than he expected?
Q3 - Should I ever take a MP order again?

1. no
2. yes
3. yes

If i ever do an MP order i ask fixed 15x cost price. If its too high i go RvR.

Tzeentch

Fledgling Freddie
in game money is nothing

respect, friendship, making people feel good etc is above 'plats' or 'items' imo..

when i ask someone to craft for me

we agree on a price (with their profit)

and when they actually get it done

i like to pay a whole bunch extra (depending on size of order).. as a nice gift/surprise/thank you

you did nothing wrong cj

chipper

Can't get enough of FH
aye cj some ppl dont seem to understand how dull and boring crafting is and costly

people should ease up on the crafters they do a bloody good job and taking MP orders is a burden i could never be bothered with

he chose not to continue his order therefore his ties to you where cut the leggings are yours do with as you please this guy was bloody lucky he got a nice crafter who only charged him cost

imo name and shame.

Laryssa

Regular Freddie
hats off to calawyn who paid 10p without mourning for scale MP leggs and MP boots
:cheers::cheers:

had bad luck on the leggs (130ish retries) :(

give more customers like him !!!

CjkaceBM

Fledgling Freddie
Well after reading this thread, the guy apologised and offered me 3plat for the legs, which I took, even though I had been offered 4plat for em from a guildee.

The really stupid thing about crafting is that since that order I hit a streak with MP Legs, MP boots and gloves all within 10 tries of each other. Maybe a flat 15 x cost is ok, especially now that MP are the only things worth crafting.

Kaireem

Fledgling Freddie
MP's are a pain to make so

Q1 - Should I have PMed the guy and offered him the leggings first? No, he's obviously an ass
Q2 - Should the guy have at least shown some gratitude for my time even though it cost more than he expected? Hell yeh
Q3 - Should I ever take a MP order again? Yes :)

Sleet

Fledgling Freddie
I have felt the same myself on many occasions.

MP orders i'm very very reluctant to do for anyone other than friends because of the grief it has brought me in something which i tried to do for fun (how F****** much did you say? etc)

99% weapon orders i no longer take as the housing market is flooded with them at more than reasonable prices.

And the best bit! theres no requirment for anything below this as a 99% from housing can even work out cheaper than retries for a 98%!

Got myself a salvage bot at least! ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom