CPU fan making noise when booting from cold

Fana

Fledgling Freddie
I have a prescott p4 2.8ghz with no overclocking etc, and use the standard fan that came with the box. Its been working ok for about 8 months now, but since last week its started making a ruckus when i start the comp from a cold start (i.e. when its been shut down for several hours). It doesnt do this when rebooting or if the comp is only off for short while. The noise is not very highpitched, more like a low rrrrrrrrr sound that changes pitch as the minutes go by and then goes away after a couple of minutes. The fan seems to operate normaly after that, and even when the sound is there it doesnt seem like the fan is having trouble spinning from what i can glean with my eyesight. The CPU temp is around 55-65c (its a prescott, they run pretty hot)

What could be causing this? Coincidentaly there is also a problem with the screen when i boot from cold, in that there are small areas of flimmer on it for a few minutes after boot. They appear randomly over the screen and go away after 3-4 min. This problem started before the cpu fan started making noise tho.

Chilly

Balls of steel
sounds like a cable rubbing against the fan blades - check that out. As for the screen problem - no idea, possibly a foobar GPU - have you opverclocked the gfx card?

If the cooler is fucked I have an unused p4 prescott cooler (came with a 3.4 i think) you cna buy off me for a fiver or summat if you live in the UK.

Fana

Fledgling Freddie
Im a swede unfortunately, but thanks for the offer :) I cant see any cable laying against the fan so doubt thats it, and shouldnt it keep making the noise continously if that was the problem? Its only when i start the comp and only for a few minutes. Could it be some thermal issue where the metal of the heatsink has been disformed by heat and now needs to be warmed alil before it sits properly maybe? Seems unlikely tho.

Ah well, i guess if it gets worse ill buy a zalman fan or some such and replace it. Just a wee bit worried that it will suddenly crap out on me and fry the processor, although i think the motherboard should autoshutdown if the fan stops working.

Lazarus

Part of the furniture
Fana said:
Im a swede unfortunately, but thanks for the offer :) I cant see any cable laying against the fan so doubt thats it, and shouldnt it keep making the noise continously if that was the problem? Its only when i start the comp and only for a few minutes. Could it be some thermal issue where the metal of the heatsink has been disformed by heat and now needs to be warmed alil before it sits properly maybe? Seems unlikely tho.

Ah well, i guess if it gets worse ill buy a zalman fan or some such and replace it. Just a wee bit worried that it will suddenly crap out on me and fry the processor, although i think the motherboard should autoshutdown if the fan stops working.

Fana,

I had a similar issue with my gfx card fan. I removed the fan and found some "gunk" in the fan - removed it and dropped a little 3-in-1 oil on the fan and it cleared it.

smurkin

Can't get enough of FH
yah, cpu fan is noisy when it starts up?...I've had that...it was like that for months....I just replaced the fan :)

Chilly

Balls of steel
if in doubt, replace the cooler - you can get a zalman cooler for 30 quid or so, dunno how much that is in crowns in sweden. and the zalmans are quiet as fuck :)

Fana

Fledgling Freddie
I cleaned it as good as i could, and dunno if that was the problem or if i moved it around alil so its seated better now, or if something was indead touching it, but the noise went away it seems :) Have started it twice now without the annoying noise. Thanks for the advice

Tom

I am a FH squatter
The bearing has dried out. If you can't access it, try getting some sewing machine oil and dripping a little bit around the bearing (there is usually a hair-thin gap in the plastic).

If that doesn't work, get a new fan. You don't want it seizing up.

TUG

It's my birthday today!
Aye bearing is dying.. wouldn't worry too much for a month or two but best to replace for the long run :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom