Politics Coronavirus

Embattle

FH is my second home
Sorry but smoking is as silly today as it was a many decades ago, there is no need for research into that undeniable fact.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Sorry but smoking is as silly today as it was a many decades ago, there is no need for research into that undeniable fact.

Did anyone say it wasn't? However if there is evidence that smokers are less likely to catch COVID and end up in hospital - which there is plenty of now - maybe it's worth further investigation on why, and if this same effect can be found in something less controversial?

Embattle

FH is my second home
Did anyone say it wasn't? However if there is evidence that smokers are less likely to catch COVID and end up in hospital - which there is plenty of now - maybe it's worth further investigation on why, and if this same effect can be found in something less controversial?

Firstly I always doubted those initial reports but then I do in general when it comes to early reports of anything, then even if it was true the only thing I could think of is perhaps a smokers lungs are so inhospitable that covid like the smokers lungs die. In the end the whole point is moot when you compare your chances to getting a reduction in covid cases in smokers but they have a considerable higher risk from one of the many smoking related diseases and chronicle conditions, it seems like playing Russian roulette but having the option to only remove one of the two bullets thus in the end you'll still blow your brains out.

Bodhi

Firstly I always doubted those initial reports but then I do in general when it comes to early reports of anything, then even if it was true the only thing I could think of is perhaps a smokers lungs are so inhospitable that covid like the smokers lungs die. In the end the whole point is moot when you compare your chances to getting a reduction in covid cases in smokers but they have a considerable higher risk from one of the many smoking related diseases and chronicle conditions, it seems like playing Russian roulette but having the option to only remove one of the two bullets thus in the end you'll still blow your brains out.

You've spectacularly missed the point of my post there, good job.

Embattle

FH is my second home
You've spectacularly missed the point of my post there, good job.

No I haven't I just don't think much of the positive reporting on smokers and covid has much truth to it, thus little time should be spent finding out why it might be the case.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
Always amazes me how many people on this forum have the knowledge levels of professional medical researchers etc. If you all got together surely world hunger would be solved by now!

Embattle

FH is my second home
Always amazes me how many people on this forum have the knowledge levels of professional medical researchers etc. If you all got together surely world hunger would be solved by now!

I don't think many people needed professional medical knowledge to find those initial reports highly dubious.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Even if smoking granted 100% immunity to death from Covid it'd still be a fucking stupid thing to do as smoking itself kills 50% of the people who partake.

Trying to find positives in smoking is like saying "well, the gunman killed 37 children in this school shooting, but at least we saved quarter of a million beefburgers from being consumed over their lifetimes"...

Bodhi

No I haven't I just don't think much of the positive reporting on smokers and covid has much truth to it, thus little time should be spent finding out why it might be the case.

So if we could end the pandemic tomorrow by using a similar method first observed in smokers, you wouldn't be interested as it originally came from smoking?

Bizarre attitude, but ok, you do you.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
I miss smoking a lot, there are plenty of positives.

That 10 mins away from your desk at work, just not the same as going for a drink or whatever, used to be great, especially if there was a problem that needed solving, a ciggie break somehow resets your thought pattern.
It can be very social, random chats with strangers in the smoking shelter when out at the pub or something. As someone with social anxiety, I kind of miss that.
Being able to roll a smoke 1 handed used to be cool as fuck.

But yeah, it's expensive, and it will kill you. I only smoke now on the occasion of a joint.

Embattle

FH is my second home
So if we could end the pandemic tomorrow by using a similar method first observed in smokers, you wouldn't be interested as it originally came from smoking?

Bizarre attitude, but ok, you do you.

No I just don't believe in the initial premise, thus all points afterwards are moot.

Bodhi

No I just don't believe in the initial premise, thus all points afterwards are moot.

Despite the hundreds of studies backing it up, you're going with the one using a dubious analysis technique to prove the opposite.

Pretty sure it's cherry season, any chance you could help me pick some off the trees?

Bodhi

That 10 mins away from your desk at work, just not the same as going for a drink or whatever, used to be great, especially if there was a problem that needed solving, a ciggie break somehow resets your thought pattern.
It can be very social, random chats with strangers in the smoking shelter when out at the pub or something. As someone with social anxiety, I kind of miss that.

But yeah, it's expensive, and it will kill you. I only smoke now on the occasion of a joint.

I've met pretty much all my friends, my current wife, talked myself into two promotions and organised a transfer into a job I actually wanted to do, all whilst out having a cigarette. I've also been for a smoke in some pretty stunning places - Santa Barbara overlooking the coast, Thailand on top of the boat to Phi Phi Island, watching the sunset on the Pacific in Bali and beside the M5 in Birmingham. Overall I'd say it's been a pretty positive experience on balance, but I'm down to 4 or 5 roll ups a day, with the rest using my IQOS.

Embattle

FH is my second home
I've met pretty much all my friends, my current wife, talked myself into two promotions and organised a transfer into a job I actually wanted to do, all whilst out having a cigarette. I've also been for a smoke in some pretty stunning places - Santa Barbara overlooking the coast, Thailand on top of the boat to Phi Phi Island, watching the sunset on the Pacific in Bali and beside the M5 in Birmingham. Overall I'd say it's been a pretty positive experience on balance, but I'm down to 4 or 5 roll ups a day, with the rest using my IQOS.

Yes because people can't do any of that without a cigarette, although I guess without smokers I might miss the endless amount of cigarette butts being throw into the environment along with all the other plastic.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter

Used to use it as a crutch for my social ineptness. Take a slow drag gives you time to think and there was always a camaraderie from the security guard to the vp when you were out back away from yr desk.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
We kinda been through this 18 months ago when it came out the simulation / preparation report had been binned. Not really news is it? Or you starting on dementia?

No, this is a different thing.

I like it how you immediately try to brush it under the carpet though :)

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Obvious thing is obvious and will be ignored... obviously.
Pre-inquest narrative-setter by the Tory government.

It's not a report - it's a way to undermine the eventual shitshow of the already-hobbled inquest so it doesn't prompt as much outrage when it eventually gets published.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
They don't care, Boris could shuffle up to his little podium and just say "no fucks given" and dickheads would still vote for them. Starmer's reply would be something about whether all women have a fanny or some shit.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Fucking pricks...

An inquiry in Brazil has found that Bolsonaro should faces charges of, among others, crimes against humanity - Johnson and co. should be up next.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
Fucking pricks...

An inquiry in Brazil has found that Bolsonaro should faces charges of, among others, crimes against humanity - Johnson and co. should be up next.

We know each other so therefore we won't have covid?

The reality is that there's a correlation between Tory voters and people that downplay covid.

So they're trying to walk a tight rope of people dying and not losing political support.

It's pretty sad really, because if there is a super mutation of covid, I can promise we'll be one of the last countries to react to it.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
We know each other so therefore we won't have covid?

The reality is that there's a correlation between Tory voters and people that downplay covid.

So they're trying to walk a tight rope of people dying and not losing political support.

It's pretty sad really, because if there is a super mutation of covid, I can promise we'll be one of the last countries to react to it.

The old and the stupid are their core vote, I was surprised to see them not being more serious throughout the pandemic but once you realise that poor people are dying are much bigger rates than anyone else it becomes very on brand for the conservatives.

Bodhi

The old and the stupid are their core vote, I was surprised to see them not being more serious throughout the pandemic but once you realise that poor people are dying are much bigger rates than anyone else it becomes very on brand for the conservatives.

Well that's lockdowns for you - the middle classes can stay at home and work on Zoom, whilst the working classes have to go to the factories and distribution centres and carry on working to bring them stuff. It's like focused protection for the middle class.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom