Politics Coronavirus

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
Yea... they're always so fucking vague.

'It's the priority of this Government'

What are you actually doing then? Telling schools they HAVE to open and just get on with it? Because that's what happened before the end of the year.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
My wife has been back full time with reception kids for some time now (on hols now obvs) a couple of other bubbles at her school had kids in with symptoms, where the idiot parents sent them in regardless and ended up having to self isolate.

People are dumb, it's going to be a shit show.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
Our kids have been off since before they officially closed them. The moment it started to really blow up the first time around we just kept them home and the school arranged for work to be done online for them... I feel shit for keeping my kids home though, its an absolute trainwreck how they've handled this. They should have kept Pubs, Gyms and other non-essential shit closed and just let the moaners moan.

Gwadien

My wife has been back full time with reception kids for some time now (on hols now obvs) a couple of other bubbles at her school had kids in with symptoms, where the idiot parents sent them in regardless and ended up having to self isolate.

People are dumb, it's going to be a shit show.

People are dumb for sure, but our Government are hardly leading this well.

The initial advice was 'Shut the schools, socially distance, or you're all going to die of Covid' now that's changed to 'OK Teachers need to socially distance, but kids don't need to'

The reason why is because it's not possible to open schools and have kids socially distance because new schools especially are built with the bare legal requirement of space per student in a room.

There's also lots of kids that live with their grandparents and other vulnerable people, and parents will no longer have the choice whether to send their kids in or not.

Sure, missing out on school is damaging educationally and socially, but having a loved one die because you went to school would be even more damaging.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Why would they start introducing clarity now? Nothing about any of their messaging since this started has been clear.

georgie

FH is my second home
Why would they start introducing clarity now? Nothing about any of their messaging since this started has been clear.

Some of the stuff has been quite clear, right up until a Tory MP is caught doing the exact opposite, then they flip flop about a bit and decide it was only a suggestion anyway, or compulsory but only on Wednesdays or something.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
My wife has a good saying, as a teacher. You can throw the ball but you aren't allowed to catch it.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Except for "Dominic Cummings did nothing wrong" they didn't have any problem repeating that over and over... :rolleyes:

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Except for "Dominic Cummings did nothing wrong" they didn't have any problem repeating that over and over... :rolleyes:
If he'd shot someone in the face they'd be reiterating that murder laws do have considerable leeway for concerned parents with blurred vision in this regard.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
People are dumb for sure, but our Government are hardly leading this well.

The initial advice was 'Shut the schools, socially distance, or you're all going to die of Covid' now that's changed to 'OK Teachers need to socially distance, but kids don't need to'

The reason why is because it's not possible to open schools and have kids socially distance because new schools especially are built with the bare legal requirement of space per student in a room.

There's also lots of kids that live with their grandparents and other vulnerable people, and parents will no longer have the choice whether to send their kids in or not.

Sure, missing out on school is damaging educationally and socially, but having a loved one die because you went to school would be even more damaging.

No, no it wouldn't.

The rest of Europe appear to have open schools without the entire population dropping dead, why is the UK different?

Gwadien

No, no it wouldn't.

The rest of Europe appear to have open schools without the entire population dropping dead, why is the UK different?

Because they opened them with social distancing in mind - and they only partly opened like the schools in the UK did.

Also as I said before, schools in the UK are built with the bare minimum room available, I'm not sure how it goes down abroad, but I do remember seeing a video from Germany where they were talking about how it's possible due to the amount of space that they had in that particular school, but only having certain age groups in at a time.

I mean there are pretty easy and obvious solutions to this problem, but it takes decisions, and our Government isn't very good at making decisions.

For example you could make primary schools into 'forest schools' where they spend the vast majority of their time outside, then you can use that space for secondary school exam factories, because that's all they're going to be.

You can lower expectations for Key Stage 3 (years 7-9) nationwide, because schools are going to do that anyway, have a nation wide no marking policy, rather giving group feedback (lots of schools already do this) then expand the school day to 5PM and have different year groups in at different times throughout the week. Give and take.

I find it interesting that you find it acceptable for a response to the question 'How are you going to reopen schools?' to be 'We are'.

What will happen is nothing, and then when teachers/school staff complain about it, the Government will just jump on the old band wagon that teachers are lazy, complain all the time etc etc rather than having to think of a solution.

Yoni

Cockb@dger / Klotehommel www.lhw.photography
I am not sure all schools have such a large ability to social distance in Europe - in Sweden they have absolutely put in measures ie no hugging, increased washing of hands regularly but they are still children and socially distancing is not so easy. Schools here up to the age of 16 have been open here all along and the head epidemiologist has stated that one change they would make if they could do it all again was to keep all education open including universities.

In the Swedish news today on this subject -
Several question marks about how children become infected
This autumn, many millions of children will return to school, even in those countries where schools have been closed due to the corona pandemic. To date, research knows that children rarely become seriously ill in covid-19. However, it is still unclear what role children play in spreading the infection further, reports Vetenskapsradion.
Jonas Ludvigsson, pediatrician and professor of clinical epidemiology at Karolinska Institutet, has compiled what the research so far has concluded about children's infectivity in a report. The conclusion there is that children seem to play a small role in the spread of infection.
- I am sure that children are infected but they are less infected, says Jonas Ludvigsson to Vetenskapsradion.
Therefore, Jonas Ludvigsson does not believe that schools are a breeding ground for mortality in the pandemic, but that the infection certainly spreads there to some extent.
But no one can answer today how much children infect. Several studies have found large amounts of virus in children. In a recently published study, researchers have found more viruses in children in the age group zero to five years than in adults. At the same time, the question of the significance of the amount of virus for infectivity is in itself controversial and therefore the findings become difficult to interpret.

Flera frågetecken kring hur barn smittar
I höst återvänder många miljoner barn till skolan, även i de länder där skolorna varit stängda på grund av coronapandemin. Hittills vet forskningen att barn sällan blir svårt sjuka i covid-19. Däremot är det fortfarande oklart vilken roll barn spelar i att sprida smittan vidare, rapporterar Vetenskapsradion.
Jonas Ludvigsson, barnläkare och professor i klinisk epidemiologi på Karolinska Institutet, har sammanställt vad forskningen så här långt kommit fram till om barns smittsamhet i en rapport. Slutsatsen där blir att barn tycks spela en liten roll i smittspridningen.
– Jag är säker på att barn smittar men de smittar mindre, säger Jonas Ludvigsson till Vetenskapsradion.
Därför tror inte Jonas Ludvigsson att skolorna är en grogrund för dödligheten i pandemin, men att smittan säkerligen sprids där i viss mån.
Men hur mycket barn smittar kan idag ingen svara på. Flera studier har hittat stora mängder virus i barn. I en nyligen publicerad studie har forskare hittat mer virus hos barn i åldersgruppen noll till fem år än hos vuxna. Samtidigt är frågan om virusmängdens betydelse för smittsamheten i sig själv omstridd och därför blir fynden svåra att tolka.

SilverHood

FH is my second home
In my school in Denmark back in the 90's, we were maybe 12-20 kids to a class. Less the older we got, as people moved away from the area we lived in. When I moved to the UK, it was always 30+ , with the exception of some student choice subjects, such as German, or Exam Physical Education.

I can see my Danish classroom being social distance compliant... just about. Classes in the UK... no way, we were packed like sardines into rooms smaller than we had in Denmark. That said, a few classrooms were double sized, usually for teachers who were department heads, and they used the back for storage. If they shuffled the storage into smaller classrooms, used gyms, assembly halls, art rooms, craft studios as classrooms, you could maybe make it work for core subjects. Maybe a morning class schedule for year 7 8 and 9s, three classes, from 8-11AM, an hour to wipe down every table and chair, then years 10 and 11 from 12 to 4 in the afternoons.

The biggest difference between schools in Denmark vs UK, is that in Denmark we stayed put for most of the day. We had a classroom that belonged to the class, and teachers would come to us, with exceptions for Physical Education and the various arts and craft subjects. In the UK, we wandered the corridors between each class. There is no way to socially distance when doing it that way.

Gwadien

In my school in Denmark back in the 90's, we were maybe 12-20 kids to a class. Less the older we got, as people moved away from the area we lived in. When I moved to the UK, it was always 30+ , with the exception of some student choice subjects, such as German, or Exam Physical Education.

I can see my Danish classroom being social distance compliant... just about. Classes in the UK... no way, we were packed like sardines into rooms smaller than we had in Denmark. That said, a few classrooms were double sized, usually for teachers who were department heads, and they used the back for storage. If they shuffled the storage into smaller classrooms, used gyms, assembly halls, art rooms, craft studios as classrooms, you could maybe make it work for core subjects. Maybe a morning class schedule for year 7 8 and 9s, three classes, from 8-11AM, an hour to wipe down every table and chair, then years 10 and 11 from 12 to 4 in the afternoons.

The biggest difference between schools in Denmark vs UK, is that in Denmark we stayed put for most of the day. We had a classroom that belonged to the class, and teachers would come to us, with exceptions for Physical Education and the various arts and craft subjects. In the UK, we wandered the corridors between each class. There is no way to socially distance when doing it that way.

Exactly.

You can't complain immigrants are to blame for spreading Covid in sweat factories when kids are in a similar proximity in schools.

Yoni

who apart from Job is blaming immigrants?

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Strangely no one seems to know whos spreading the virus, just slipping through our fingers.

Then all of a sudden its white people..oh yes, those fuckers.
Complacent twats.

We can see you.

In other words we can expose you with ease, no racism or classism here, just good old bullshit.

Gwadien

who apart from Job is blaming immigrants?

Lots of thick people like Job are blaming immigrants.

That was besides the point though.

Sweden has decided to go for herd immunity, so I'd imagine that guy is a big fan of herd immunity, so I'd imagine shutting down factories/workplaces that can't comply with social distancing isn't a thing there.

Whereas it is very much a thing here, when the spaces that they have in said factories are similar to the spacing in schools.

If the Government is concerned enough to put Leicester back on lockdown due to fears that it's spreading amongst the underclass, I'm not sure why they're not concerned it has the potential to spread through entire areas of cities.

Yoni

Sweden has NOT decided to go for herd immunity - some work places have had to close here but not as many as other countries.... where are you getting your miss information from?- immunity may be a byproduct of a more relaxed reaction but not the intention - Unlile the UK / US we are still requested to work from home / keep distance and not use public transport unless absolutely necessary as it was in March and April. We have been allowed to travel outside our council areas and if you feel remotely sick to isolate for at least 7 days plus 2 after symptoms have gone ... Additionally today they are looking at different times for school to avoid busy travelling times ...

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
All that didnt they do well by locking down early is coming home to roost around the world as the bleedin obvious happens.

Of course not a single propaganda outlet is covering deaths because theres no clickbait in such low numbers.
So now its all cases boosted...by..er.
Mass testing.

Its all just a soap opera.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Erm...I think you will find it's being pretty well covered actually.

Maybe not on the batshit crazy websites you frequent?

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
So, people are fat and need to eat less lard and improve overall health, in an effort to help with Covid.

Also, Big macs for £1.50

Exioce

Part of the furniture
What can one do about friends and relatives that have gone down this rabbit hole? Is there any way back?
I've seen friends succumb to various conspiracy theories over the years, but things seem to be coming to a head recently.

1596538201161.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom