Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
I think he was an actor.

Edit.

Although they describe him as 'a rising British actor...'

Wij

I am a FH squatter
I think he had a breakdown after Billie Piper left him tbh and now he’s just a professional nobhead.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
So apparently there's a campaign about to get going to encourage younger people to get the jab as they're likely to be more reluctant (in the UK).

Personally, I think this is a huge fail on the part of our educational system. Yes, you can say increased social media use might be driving it but all of us benefit from a minimum level of science and maths education.

It must be failing monumentally. It should be only the most irrational being reluctant to get vaccinated. But it's not working out like that.

A basic understanding of statistics and risk coupled with GCSE immunology should - coupled with the very strong ubiqitous messaging we're putting out - be enough for almost everyone.

To be fair - STEM education might also be a failure in older people too but their reluctance to get vaccinated is overridden by higher perceived risk. Talking to both young and old people it staggers me just how little people understand basic concepts - I guess it's just not necessary to understand these things to run your day-to-day lives.

However, young people should at least have residual vestiges of science and maths drummed into them that they can call on to help rational decision making and help protect them from social idiocy.

But it turns out that "young and dumb" is definitely a thing. :(

Am I way out @Gwadien ?

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
So apparently there's a campaign about to get going to encourage younger people to get the jab as they're likely to be more reluctant (in the UK).

Personally, I think this is a huge fail on the part of our educational system. Yes, you can say increased social media use might be driving it but all of us benefit from a minimum level of science and maths education.

It must be failing monumentally. It should be only the most irrational being reluctant to get vaccinated. But it's not working out like that.

A basic understanding of statistics and risk coupled with GCSE immunology should - coupled with the very strong ubiqitous messaging we're putting out - be enough for almost everyone.

To be fair - STEM education might also be a failure in older people too but their reluctance to get vaccinated is overridden by higher perceived risk. Talking to both young and old people it staggers me just how little people understand basic concepts - I guess it's just not necessary to understand these things to run your day-to-day lives.

However, young people should at least have residual vestiges of science and maths drummed into them that they can call on to help rational decision making and help protect them from social idiocy.

Am I way out @Gwadien ?

Yes.

Parents.

I don't know of any kid that would object to a vaccine (bar 'i don't like needles') without their parent/s objecting to it first.

Would be interesting to see an alternate reality where we had people in power who didn't previously bleat on and on about 'dont trust the experts' tbh.

Education probably plays a role due to there simply not being enough time to learn anything that's outside of exams, but that's always been a complaint of mine.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Nah. It's not a parent issue @Gwadien. The parents are getting vaccinated.

This is special to young people. Young and fucking dumb.

Gwadien

How many young people do you know saying no to the vaccine?

Yeah.

Something about kids too @Scouse when it comes to shit like this and you talk to a kid about it, 9/10 they're just repeating what they've been told by their parents, which is fairly normal.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber

Am I way out @Gwadien ?
Dumb doesn't discriminate

Talivar

Part of the furniture
It is learned behaviour for sure, the vast majority of youths i have worked with that have racist, sexist, dumb views can be tied directly back to their parents. Same goes for other things like aggresion and violence. There are exeptions ofc but they are in the minority

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber

Plus @Scouse this article talks about people under 50 as 'young people' so that means the kids and the majority of their parents.
Nah. The average age you have your first child in the UK is 29. So "young people" from 25-39 (which is what I was pretty clear I was talking about, as prompted by the incoming government campaign) - have parents aged (on average) 54 to 68 years old - and they've already had their vaccinations.

So it doesn't mean "kids and the majority of their parents" at all - because it physically can't. It actually means exactly what I explicitly stated in my post.

How many young people do you know saying no to the vaccine?
Did your granny live to 90 smoking 50 a day, therefore smoking is safe or something?

Who cares how many people I know haven't had the vaccine. The government is starting up a programme because "young people" are reluctant to take the vaccine.

- that's not me saying that, that's the people administering the vaccine. So don't get antsy with me for asking why that seems to be the case.

Dumb doesn't discriminate
Absolutely. IQ's are IQ's and (outside of the lift we must have had when we banned leaded petrol) we're all on that spectrum, young and old.

But education changes over time - in terms of both content and how it's delivered.

We all know that Universities are struggling because even the "bright" kids coming out of school can't handle the first year - so they've had to adapt by dumbing down their courses and making entire first years (of three year courses) into "foundation" years - just so all the incoming students are at the same level for years 2 and 3.

Noawadays if you want to hire a clever person you're looking for a masters as a minimum. Because our school system has become more americanised - confident happy but poorly-educated kids who are willing to try, rather than very well educated kids who suffer with confidence.

All I'm doing is asking "is the fact that we're knocking out retards for call centres the central (not only) causal reason for the government saying 'young people' are less willing to take the vaccines"?

Reasonable question to me I think :)

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
It is learned behaviour for sure, the vast majority of youths i have worked with that have racist, sexist, dumb views can be tied directly back to their parents. Same goes for other things like aggresion and violence. There are exeptions ofc but they are in the minority
I don't disagree with this. If your parents wear tin foil hats or drink and smack you up, you're much more likely to anti-vaxx and do the same.

However, a higher proportion of "young people" aren't willing to take the vaccine. So that's not learned behaviour from their parents is it - because by and large the older generations are getting the vaccine when asked.

You can't learn to not take a vaccine from people who've already had a vaccine. So why are young people (and westerners more generally) so reticent?

Gwadien

Nah. The average age you have your first child in the UK is 29.

I suspect the average age of somebody that is likely to take uneducated and uninformed views on vaccines is much lower.

I work at a majority white working/under class school, I hear pretty far fetched views all the time on a range of subjects, because or adults are being informed by social media; whatever pops up in their feed often enough rather than the experts.

I'd put more blame in politics than education tbh.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
From your article @Gwadien:
Although 94% of all adults in the most recent survey by the Office for National Statistics felt positively about the vaccines, about one in eight 16 to 29-year-olds said they were hesitant, the highest such finding among all age groups.
So the youngest polled age group - closest to the educational system so they should have immunology, risk and stats freshest in their minds (unless we're not teaching those things any more?) - are the most reluctant.

A higher proportion of their parents are getting happily vaccinated than those kids - so you can't blame their parents.

If education is improving they should be better educated about this stuff than their parents generations. But to unfairly cast them all in exactly the same light (even though 1 in 8 is only 12.5%) they're a bunch of needy emos. :)

Why is that?

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
Did your granny live to 90 smoking 50 a day, therefore smoking is safe or something?

Who cares how many people I know haven't had the vaccine. The government is starting up a programme because "young people" are reluctant to take the vaccine.

- that's not me saying that, that's the people administering the vaccine. So don't get antsy with me for asking why that seems to be the case.

Yes but you said young people are dumb. I don't know a single young person who won't be taking the vaccine. Most of them can't wait because they want to go on holidays etc. They only person I know who doesn't want it is some retarded covid denier at work who is in her late 40s. Does that mean all people that age are dumb now?

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Yes but you said young people are dumb. I don't know a single young person who won't be taking the vaccine. Most of them can't wait because they want to go on holidays etc. They only person I know who doesn't want it is some retarded covid denier at work who is in her late 40s. Does that mean all people that age are dumb now?
You're once again talking about *your* experience - which is as meaningless on a population level as mine.

The government says young people are more reluctant than any other demographic to take the vaccine.

I'm happy to take that at face value rather than count up people I know personally and fantasize that my ready-reckon is representative of the UK population.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
You really like to pick and choose what you take at face value to fit your agenda don't you lol

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
Terrible what's going on in India, it's looking pretty desperate over there

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Terrible what's going on in India, it's looking pretty desperate over there
This we agree on. Narendra Modi's a twat. Always has been.

He's like the Indian Boris Johnson.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Counterpoint; "young people" have a much higher threshold for acceptable risk by default, and getting Covid is much lower risk for them anyway. Add those two things together and its not surprising that they're less interested in getting vaccinated, from a pure "can't be arsed" perspective. (NB. Irish people are better educated than Brits and the same reluctance to get vaccinated is present here, at the moment).

Now this is certainly selfish, but as soon as they twig that being vaccinated will allow them to fly to the Med in a few months, the vaccination rates will shoot up.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
I don't deal with a lot of kids but the ones I do know are quite keen to get vaccinated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom