copy protected music cd

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I've just bought zero 7's new album, which I'd like to copy to my computer (the downloaded version is shite), and also copy to a cd for my car.

Its copy protected. Any way around this?

Shovel

Can't get enough of FH
Luck.

If you have a recent CD-RW drive (such as the 525232 Lite On) it will read the CD as if the copy protection wasn't there at all. You can play it in any media player you like, rip it or whatever takes your fancy.

DVD-ROM drives tend to have fits with them, though I've used a laptop with a DVD/CD-RW combo drive which, again, read through it as if nothing were there.

-- There are some who comment that different media players/rippers will do a better job at bypassing it on more tempermental drives. In my experience the oldest drives can't be saved even with this cocktail style software solutioning.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I've emailed the company, and told them it won't work on any of my hifi kit. Lets see what happens.

Scooba da Bass

Fledgling Freddie
Predict-o-tron says form letter and/or company calling you a liar, since you clearly are.

Shovel

Can't get enough of FH
I whinged to a record company once, got no reply. Haven't bothered since. I got my new CD-RW for the speed and when it read through CC I fogot all about it.

-- I feel a bit bad about that since I was so irate and keen to cause a fuss over CC when it was introduced. But then, since it doesn't actually work, does anyone care?

Scooba da Bass

Fledgling Freddie
I'm sure if we were in the States we could have filled a class action lawsuit and got $13.33 each!

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
I think the recent settlement you're referring to was over price fixing - thus far plenty of groups have tried to screw the RIAA for their attempts at implementing DCMA and so far the 'music mafia' have won every case.

Xav

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
Get CD EX Tom, when you put the cd in to extract the files, just don't choose the data file.

Shovel

Can't get enough of FH
Trem said:
Get CD EX Tom, when you put the cd in to extract the files, just don't choose the data file.
This is still dependent on your CD-RW drive though, since an older drive will report back a scrambled table of contents. When I got Hail To The Thief I ripped from CD-EX (minus the data track) and still got the pops and squeeks inserted on my rips.

I have a feeling that EAC has a button hidden away to override the Table of Contents read method (EDIT: Yes, Actions -> TOC Alerations -> *), but due to having the new drive I've never had need to try it.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Scooba da Bass said:
Predict-o-tron says form letter and/or company calling you a liar, since you clearly are.

I have a right to make a copy of my purchase for backup purposes. That huge chip on your shoulder might taste better with less vinegar.

By the way, when you're doing your DJ thing, do you inform the record companies that you're altering their copyright, and therefore infringing the terms of your agreement with them?

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Trem said:

I've tried a few pieces of software, and they tend to rip the tracks ok, but WMP won't then play them (as wav or mp3, doesn't matter which).

I have a Plextor px-40ts scsi
and a LG GCE-8240B ide

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
The Plextor scsi is the daddy Tom, you really shouldn't have any problems there fella.

Sell it me :D

Tom

I am a FH squatter
hehe I tried that cd ex, and updated the firmware in meh plextor.

HAHAH STFU RECORD COMPANY NOOBS!

Clown

Part of the furniture
Hahahaha, crap. I didn't know DJs had to phone record companies and tell them they are playing their music in a set!! Woooh!

Tom

I am a FH squatter
The venue they're working in needs an entertainment license of some sort. Still, remixing somebody elses copyrighted material, strictly speaking, isn't allowed.

Scooba just has some kind of issue with copyright. I don't give a fuck. Thats about the long and short of it.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
"Help help I'm being repressed!"

*links some images from other websites*

Shovel

Can't get enough of FH
Tom said:
I have a right to make a copy of my purchase for backup purposes.
Actually you don't. "Fair Use" is an American law and has no equivilent over here. Although home taping, videotaping television programmes and so forth is seen as the norm, it's actually just the industry tolerating it, rather than any legal right that you and I have.

... whether that tolerance stands against them if they wanted to start taking action over here I don't know.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Scooba da Bass said:
*enjoys Christmas with his family*

Ziing

Gosh, how astute. Feel better now? I could retaliate by calling you a fat **** with shit taste in shirts, but I'd never do that.

Whatever your problem is Scooba, take it somewhere else. Why are you here anyway? Didn't you 'leave' in a huff, stopping to slag lots of others off on the way?

Skyler

Fledgling Freddie
Ahhh thankfully they can't add wank protection to vinyl :D

Well I suppose they could put a steering wheel lock on them or something. :/

Doh_boy

Part of the furniture
Tom said:
Whatever your problem is Scooba, take it somewhere else. Why are you here anyway? Didn't you 'leave' in a huff, stopping to slag lots of others off on the way?
Wasn't that BW?

shovel, I thought there was some sort of law regarding that here? I remember being told that I was only allowed to keep programs taped off the television for 30 days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom