Religion Convinced Dynamo is Jesus

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
She's batshit mental, and if rumours I've heard are believed to be true she regularly cheats on him and is well into her scat.

Punishment

Resident Freddy
Some seriously depressing posters in here, he is an entertainer and slight of hand is a skill in itself, don't be pissed he isn't Gandalf seriously...

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
Half the time the so called public are props and when he walked on water...bitch please, there was something under the water for him to walk on

Did it not occur to you the only thing to go over said bridge was a kanoo or however it's spelt!
I remember watching the walking on water bit in the last series.
The way I saw it was that there was a glass walkway for him to walk on, which was then lowered so the Police speedboat could go over the path he'd just walked over.

I also agree with Punishment. Don't try to over-analyse it. He's an entertainer and he's entertaining.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
It's a funny thing magic, it was very popular in the 70's and 80's , then the public became very bored with the over stylised routines and it dissapeared off the screens until people like Penn and Teller resurrected it with a smug cleverness and that gave birth to the guys you see today.
I think people are just used to seeing the impossible in movies so the impact has lost it's edge and I think we just want to know how things work a lot more now and are much less likely to be prepared to suspend our curiosity than we were.
It can be fucking amazing when done right though, just to be in awe of a persons honed skill.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
its just a bit boring isn't it... being able to move your hands quickly.

I mean... jesus christ... i wonder how he managed that?

oh, wait.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Lot of stooges there and a camera crew all scripted for position with the usual backroom editing that people seem to let their brains ignore, but somewhere amongst all that is some clever illusion.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Some seriously depressing posters in here, he is an entertainer and slight of hand is a skill in itself, don't be pissed he isn't Gandalf seriously...

There is slight of hand and there is rummaging about in your sleeves.

This clown is the later.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Do I really need to post in this thread. Really?

Oh, no then. :)

Sepharial

Fledgling Freddie
You only think they are spectators because that is what you are lead to believe. For all you know they could be rent a crowd.
That would be true if Dynamo only performed in front of no-bodies. But he has performed and convinced many famous people - Wayne Rooney, Natalie Imbruglia, Samual L Jackson, to name only a few. Such a shame that his message has been lost on the cynical.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Wow necro thread... And generally famous people aren't the most intelligent ... Just cause show biz ppl support their own amazed dont mean dick

soze

I am a FH squatter
I was always skeptical about stuff like this. But i went to my first live show and have now been to a few more shows. And now I don't care if it is fake. It is fantastic and I feel sorry for people who can't just switch off their inner cynic and sit back to enjoy the ride.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
That would be true if Dynamo only performed in front of no-bodies. But he has performed and convinced many famous people - Wayne Rooney, Natalie Imbruglia, Samual L Jackson, to name only a few. Such a shame that his message has been lost on the cynical.

Oh well, if famous people think he can bend matter to his will then I'm convinced. I thought his message was "I like money" (which isn't a bad thing)

Chilly

Balls of steel
he performed at my work summer party a couple of years back just before he got mega famous. he stood around, outside in full sun and did his tricks in front of groups of 50 people at a time. standard sleight of hand shenanigans plus a bit of manipulation of attention a la derren brown.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Funny how only religious people like Sepharial are the only ones motivated (and deluded) enough to join forums to single-post about the second-coming of magical religious icons eh?

Aaanyway, soze:
I feel sorry for people who can't just switch off their inner cynic and sit back to enjoy the ride.
I enjoy magic tricks on the rare occasions they're performed in front of me, especially when I'm an active participant.

But go and see a show? Or bother watching it on telly? No thanks.

It's not an "inner cynic". It's simple knowledge that it's just flaff, subterfuge and trickery. I may not be able to explain it - but that doesn't make it any more "amazing" - since I know, ultimately, that I'm being fooled.

Whether it's a card trick or something more involved at the end of the day they all make me feel pretty much the same way: "That's cool" and "meh" at the same time. Not "OMGZ!!1!!1!! lol!!!1!!!! I *must* repeat this experience!!111!"

I get much more excited about real stuff that can be explained and isn't shrouded in faux-mystery, like this:

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfCCUd8mFtg

That tells us something about how we work, and isn't just some trickster trying to make a buck regurgitating sleight-of-hand stuff after reading a book published by the magic circle 100 years ago...

soze

I am a FH squatter
Aaanyway, soze:

I enjoy magic tricks on the rare occasions they're performed in front of me, especially when I'm an active participant.

But go and see a show? Or bother watching it on telly? No thanks.

It's not an "inner cynic". It's simple knowledge that it's just flaff, subterfuge and trickery. I may not be able to explain it - but that doesn't make it any more "amazing" - since I know, ultimately, that I'm being fooled.
For me it is the inner cynic. I hated watching these shows on TV or anywhere else because i sat there and said "ohh she is a plant" "they used a laser" and everything else. But after seeing the Copperfield show and just turning off that part of my brain the show was fecking brilliant easily one of the best things I did in the states. Since coming back I have been another couple and while not on his level they have been fun when you just sit back and enjoy them without over thinking. Of course some people can't turn it off or just don't want to so have no fun. But it is so much more fun when you just say "wow" rather than "there are wires two of the people work for him" or any of that shit.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
It's like that bus trick where he is clearly using a prosthetic arm and attached to a frame. People saying omg he is magic and floating next to a bus!

Yeah it's entertaining but it is not real.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Some people are entertained by the film Ghostbusters 2.

True story.

soze

I am a FH squatter
It's like that bus trick where he is clearly using a prosthetic arm and attached to a frame. People saying omg he is magic and floating next to a bus!

Yeah it's entertaining but it is not real.
That is the point. What do you achieve by looking at it that way? Rather than sitting there going what a load of shit just look at it and smile, you get much more out of it that way.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
What do you achieve by looking at it that way?

Time. You achieve time.

I've only got so much life to waste on shite, so I prefer to waste it on shite that's in some way worthwhile. Dismissing shite out-of-hand for what it is, like not ever watching x-factor or eastenders or emmerdale, because it's bullshit, frees me up to not waste my life on it.

I knew what was happening with magic tricks when I was about 12. Then I lost interest.

rynnor

Rockhound
Surely the fun bit is working out how it was done?

I see he's dug up the old 'turn the pages of a book by blowing' trick - pure misdirection - humans make such poor witnesses of events.

soze

I am a FH squatter
Time. You achieve time.
You achieve that if you just don't watch it and ignore it, if you do watch it and sit there picking holes in it you are not achieving time you are wasting it.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
You achieve that if you just don't watch it and ignore it, if you do watch it and sit there picking holes in it you are not achieving time you are wasting it.

I, as a rule, don't watch it. But if I'm forced to, say because I'm in a family situation and one of 'em has to have a show on, then this:
Surely the fun bit is working out how it was done?

...because the fun I had from watching magic tricks in wide-eyed wonder petered out years ago.

But each to their own eh? :)

rynnor

Rockhound
...because the fun I had from watching magic tricks in wide-eyed wonder petered out years ago.

But each to their own eh? :)

Sure - I don't watch it but I was really responding to the point earlier that you need to suspend cynicism to watch it - I think the reverse can be equally fun.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber

I see that and I think of:

photo.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom