Advice Considering moving from GiffGaff to Three, opinions?

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
Gents,

I've just bought an iPad 3 which is WiFi only. I have the iPhone 4 with a GiffGaff SIM in it which has been great, but I cannot tether with it. This may be useful for connecting the iPad to a personal hotspot, so I've been looking at my options:

- get a MiFi device (a fair chunk of cash)
- get another SIM purely for data
- simply switch to a SIM only deal akin to GiffGaff that does let me tether

I'm paying £10 a month with GiffGaff for 250 minutes, unlimited texts and unlimited data. With Three, I would be £15 a month for 300 minutes, 3000 texts and unlimited data (plus tethering for my iPad).

I probably go through 150 minutes a month and don't care for texts as I have WhatsApp and iMessage (I maybe use 200 to 300 a month maximum). I do care about the unlimited data.

Thoughts? Any other recommendations? What are Three like? Can I definitely tether with Three on the iPhone 4?

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Three's network is fantastic (in London where I am anyway), especially for data. However their customer service is shocking.

Also neither 3 nor giffgaff can stop you tethering, just jailbreak your iphone fool!

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
I'd rather not, do you know if three are ok with it? I suppose I could pickup a free sim and try it...

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
What? Why would you rather not jailbreak? You have nothing what so ever to lose from doing it. You cannot brick your phone by jailbreaking. The worst that can happen is you get it wrong and have to do a restore from itunes.

You can then use the personal hotspot option despite any network locks on it.

Three allow tethering on their one plan, but frankly, they can't really check.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
I still think you are insane to not simply jailbreak and tether on giff gaff.

soze

I am a FH squatter
I have a MiFi and they are great I buy the Three 3gb for 3 months for £10ish from Amazon. I use it on my phone when i have crap Signal my laptop at home if the web drops and my iPad all the time it was a great £80 purchase.

GReaper

Part of the furniture
The £15 plan on Three doesn't allow you to tether anyway, so you'd be switching provider to tether against their terms and conditions.

If this is just for very occasional tethering, do whatever it takes to get it working on your existing phone and remember not to take the piss with the amount of data used. If this is something you want to use on a regular basis - switch to the appropriate plan.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
What are Three like? Can I definitely tether with Three on the iPhone 4?
The only genuine advantage with Three has always been in my experience that at the end of every year threaten to leave and they'll increase the discount. As Chet says though, if you call them expect to always have to speak to somebody in Asia who can only read from a script.

Three are also a lot more anal about tethering now, previously I've had sims where you could stick the phone in anything and just use it, now they'll actively monitor it and if you switch devices you may get a "what the fuck are you using this in" webpage, so if you're going to use your phone for tethering like you say ensure it's allowed on your plan or you'll be super fucked off from the get go.

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Oh and always get a minutes tariff on Three that's more than double your regular usage because there actual charges for calls outside that are like 50p a minute or more iirc.

rynnor

Rockhound
Is this an I-phone block then since you can tether on GiffGaff no problem?

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
I have used tethering with my Three account with no problems in the past. It was pretty bloody fast as well. From last night I am now on the deal you speak of G-lar, £15 a month rolling contract, can cancel giving them 30 days notice at any time. I did ring up to try and get a new phone but they didn't try hard enough to tie me into a new contract :D

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Is this an I-phone block then since you can tether on GiffGaff no problem?
No, it's more that they check that your sim is in what it's supposed to be in.

Strangely however after a recent sync my iPhone now has the option to enable the Personal Hotspot (which was blocked before on O2) so when I get 10 minutes I'll give it a go and report back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom