Film Connor MacLeod of Clan Macleod

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
If Queen isnt in it and they allow some shit american band to write a song for it they can fuck right off.

That said! its not the only remake incoming

Starship Troopers and Robocop are also getting remakes in some form or another

Also! inb4 these remakes

Flash Gordon
Labyrinth
Dark Crystal
Red Sonja
The Running Man (would be pretty fucking epic if they got the right actors/director)

Last edited:

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
I started watching Highlander 5 the other night. Contender for worst film ever made.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
I started watching Highlander 5 the other night. Contender for worst film ever made.

Lol, that the one with the Tv Series Duncan Macleod and Christopher Lambert? if so I watched it for 25 minutes at which point I got bored, opened it in windows movie maker and started doing voice overs for a laugh.. it kept me amused atleast.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Can anyone actually think of any remake that's turned out to be better than the original? I can think of exactly one, Ocean's Eleven. That's it.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
The Thing?

Was shite.

As for the non-violent, not anti-facist Starship Troopers remake (where the new producers are trying to say that Heinleins novel isn't anti-facist) - fucking SHITE.

I'm getting SO fucked off with Hollywood and their gay, soulless, content-less remakes.

The John Carpenter film was a remake.

Yeah, but it was a good 'un ;)

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Can anyone actually think of any remake that's turned out to be better than the original? I can think of exactly one, Ocean's Eleven. That's it.

Captain america, batman, spiderman, the hulk...well you get the point :D

VEry often, like with comics and games, people forget that their favorite era isn't THE original era.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Infernal Affairs was a decent HK film, The Departed was the remake and imo was a better film.

DaGaffer

VEry often, like with comics and games, people forget that their favorite era isn't THE original era.

I don't really regard them as remakes; they're character franchises. I'm talking about original screenplay or novel remakes really.

However, the more I think about it, there are other remakes that are at least as good as the original (The Magnificent Seven, A Fistful of Dollars, True Lies, Twelve Monkeys) so I withdraw my original statement. Still doesn't mean I think remaking Highlander is a good idea though; its a mythology that's been well tapped out over the last 20 years.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Magnificent Seven is not as good as Seven Samurai, not even close.

It's a good film but SS is wayyyyyyyyyy better.

Fistful of Dollars is on par with Yojimbo though, not sure I'd say better - the directing in Yojimbo is amazing - but Fistful has clint.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
True Grit
Heat - Though the first one was excellent too (LA Takedown)

err, that's about it.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber

Marvel's project is a new one. They're not making films per-se - they're attempting to make comics for the screen.

They've got the rights, they're funding, filming and publishing with control over their own content. It's why The Avengers movie was an amazing mix.

They're far from the traditional hollywood film company and that's why their vision's are working.

It's the same with DC when they took proper creative control over Batman rather than simply dishing out a licence.

Marvel can take risks with their work. Artistic risks. Marvel themselves stated that they took control of their own productions precicely because the big film studios can't or won't take those risks any more.

Starship Troopers, Total Recall - they're based on some amazing pieece of multi-layered science fiction by top authors but are being remade by "the system" - one which doesn't take risks any more as it's much more corporate - and corporate IS soulless - it's by-the-numbers film-making in a way that Marvel isn't.

The Soulless Corporate Money-Machine Producer Fucktard said:
[On Starship Troopers]The more expensive a film is, the harder it is now to make it that violent," explains Jaffe, also one of the team behind the Colin Farrell's Total Recall.....What's planned sounds like it will ditch the satire in favour of a straighter action play....
So:
A) It's been gutted of the satire that made the original
B) It's going to be more straightforward action
C) Despite that it's going to be LESS violent

Q.E.D: What a crock of SOUL-LESS, CORPORATE, SHIT. :eek:

:(

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
However, the more I think about it, there are other remakes that are at least as good as the original (The Magnificent Seven, A Fistful of Dollars, True Lies, Twelve Monkeys)

I'd argue that the Magnificent Seven & A Fistfull of Dollars aren't better. They've simply a cultural context that's more familiar to us.

Twelve Monkeys was a film made out of a short - so not really a remake, more Terry Gilliams inspiration taken from an idea.

True Lies was shit. The only reason it was better than La Totale was that that film wasn't very good either. But it was still a by-the-numbers Arnold-on-the-downhill-slope shite.

:)

Edit:
True Grit
Heat - Though the first one was excellent too (LA Takedown)

A) I like the John Wayne one better.
B) LA Takedown was a made-for-TV-movie by Michael Mann. He remade his own TV movie as Heat. - I'd not call that a remake - I'd call that a very expensive development process. ;)

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Meh, John Wayne couldn't act though. His horse had more charisma than he did. The same wooden, awkward acting in every single one of his films.

DaGaffer

As for the non-violent, not anti-facist Starship Troopers remake (where the new producers are trying to say that Heinleins novel isn't anti-facist) - fucking SHITE

Er, what? I'm not sure what you're trying to say there; the Book was anti-fascist? I'm not sure I'd agree with that. Heinlein was a (mostly) good author but his politics moved around the map (often contradicting himself) and I think at the time he really believed a lot of the stuff he was saying in Starship Troopers, certainly the stuff about restricting the vote to serving citizens as he was definitely in his authoritarian phase in the late fifties (Expanded Universe follows the same theme), before he got all libertarian-hippy-mystical in the sixties (and I still can't decide if he was racist or not, there's strong evidence in both directions, which is fairly typical of the man).

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Meh, John Wayne couldn't act though. His horse had more charisma than he did. The same wooden, awkward acting in every single one of his films.

Out of 180-odd films he made about 5 or 6 where he was great tbfh. ;)

the Book was anti-fascist? I'm not sure I'd agree with that.

I read it as a tongue-in-cheek style of anti-facism - show facism for what it is type-thing (like the film). Dredd was the same - celebrated facism - it wasn't until much much much later that 2000AD storylines appeared where he questioned his own actions/ideas of justice.

Having said that, I was in university when I read the book - so I'll give it another go. :)

DaGaffer

I'd argue that the Magnificent Seven & A Fistfull of Dollars aren't better. They've simply a cultural context that's more familiar to us.

Which is why I was really careful to say "as good" not "better". I personally think they're both excellent films in their own right (particularly Fistful of Dollars, but that's because I have a soft spot for Spaghetti Westerns, they were the first films I really watched with my Dad), but of course Kurosawa was a genius.

Twelve Monkeys was a film made out of a short - so not really a remake, more Terry Gilliams inspiration taken from an idea.

Still technically a remake though.

True Lies was shit. The only reason it was better than La Totale was that that film wasn't very good either. But it was still a by-the-numbers Arnold-on-the-downhill-slope shite.

We'll just have to disagree on this one; I not only think True Lies was one of Arnie's best films it was also James Cameron's last film before he disappeared up his own arsehole.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
I don't really regard them as remakes; they're character franchises. I'm talking about original screenplay or novel remakes really.

It's still a reboot/remake and they have more to go wrong in as they have not only the comics, but earlier films to think about.For example any future batman film will automatically be compared to the dark knight, even if the dark knight isn't even the comic version of the most famous/generally noted as best batman(ergo; the animated series).

I'd say that taking a well known, decades old(some soon century) character and remaking has much less sh*t to fan potential then a remake of highlander(which pops up like herpes), or evern the whole schwarzenegger franchise, which to be honest is just like any comic book character franschise. Or was.

Scouse; yes, marvel and DC have taken their control of things, but have to remember that these evil remake corporations also made most spidermans, most batmans(which were still good remakes) and not to forget xmen origins. Then DC on other hand also made green lantern, which is rather unforgivable :p

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Well if you are going down the route of remakes set in different times. Last man standing is a remake of Fist full of dollars. I know it's trash but I quite liked it as a shoot em up film.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
We'll just have to disagree on this one; I not only think True Lies was one of Arnie's best films it was also James Cameron's last film before he disappeared up his own arsehole.

It also has one of Jamie Lee Curtis's best scenes in it too!

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
She's a bit body from Baywatch, face from Crimewatch though.

DaGaffer

It's still a reboot/remake and they have more to go wrong in as they have not only the comics, but earlier films to think about.For example any future batman film will automatically be compared to the dark knight, even if the dark knight isn't even the comic version of the most famous/generally noted as best batman(ergo; the animated series).

I think Hollywood rarely worries about earlier versions of franchise films and even less about the comic source material; pretty much the only comic book in recent years that showed the slightest attempt was the Superman film of a few years back that tried to be part of the same continuity as the Christopher Reeve flims, which was actually a huge mistake.

The current Marvel setup is really the first time there's been an attempt to tie comics into a coherent film continuity, and even then Marvel isn't falling into the trap of shoehorning absolutely every character into the same universe even when they own the rights (Ghost Rider for example)

And lol that animated series is the "best" Batman. Kids these days... *tsk*.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
I didn't say it's the best, it's regarded as the best by popular and as the best animated series. Also from the 90s, so not really "kids these days", but more kids 20 years ago. Kind of a majority of us ;) Nto to mention it was towards a more adult audience, not kids.

I don't actually think one way or other about that flying rat, Joker on the other hand :p Lot easier to pinpoint best jokers.

Be it as it may, it was based on frank millers work on dark knight, whch is funny because it makes this new series of dark knights non-fanboy friendly remakes! It's so popular because it was made for the casual crowd :D

Roo Stercogburn

Resident Freddy
Not particularly looking forward to either the Starship Troopers or Highlander remakes. I'll keep a mildly interested eye out but have no expectations of either being anything above cheap TV Movies with a bit of CGI to shore up the dodgy sets.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Nothing can erase Highlander II from history. If I could end time at the point where it was released I would. Fuck all the good things that happened like my kids being born, highlander 2 must NEVER HAVE EXISTED.

*experiment*

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom