Help Connection woes

Fweddy

FH is my second home
Those of you that frequent the general forum may remember the thread where I explained I was moving and had to pick an ISP.

I moved a month ago now and signed up for Sky for some TV as well as broadband. For the first week after the broadband being activated all was well but since then things have gone downhill.

The internet goes really slowly (I'm talking ten minutes to load a page). Turning the router off and on again fixes the problem but seemingly only for an hour or two, and then it goes slow again. Is the router broken do you think?

Thanks in advance guys.

Kryten

Old Cow.
Quite possibly, have you been given the Netgear router?
Might be worth updating the firmware on it and seeing if that sorts the issues out, just make sure you backup all your settings beforehand. Firmware will be available on Netgears site.

Fweddy

FH is my second home
It's a Sagem router. There doesn't seem to be any sign of it on the Sagem site though. I'll have a proper look after I've been to bed.

bigfunkymonkey

Fledgling Freddie
From experience, Sagem are terrible.

What is the model / part number off the router?

Are you connected wirelessly or wired? If wireless, can you try a wired connection and see if it improves

Fweddy

FH is my second home
It does seem a bit rubbish :( Googling suggests it's a Sagem Fast 2504. I'm using a wired connection to the router already, and I had the same issue with my laptop, whether that's connected wirelessly or not, so it looks like it is the router.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
I'm on Max and I have the Netgear and it works very well (though upgrading the firmware is a no-no, it's specially coded by Sky). Which package did you get from Sky? If you're on Max I'd suggest you ring Sky, complain and request the Netgear.

Fweddy

FH is my second home
Whew, been a busy few days, hence me not replying. I'm on the Mid package. One of the guys at work suggested setting my PC to use different DNS servers, instead of letting it use the sky ones set by the router.

So last night I told my PC to use the OpenDNS servers and now it seems fine. I'll have to give it a few days to be sure, but it may be fixed :)

If not I'll call Sky and complain. Thanks for all your help guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom