Connection monitoring

jaba

Fledgling Freddie
Hi guys, Im still having trouble with my connection; lots of packet loss then sometimes its fine...loading up some sites is nigh on impossible whereas others load in the blink of an eye. I was hoping that you clever lot would know of a connection monitoring program that can see where I am losing the packets; im not sure whether they are getting lost over the wireless section of my network to the access point or whether its the adsl line from the access point to my isp... network goes:

My puter ------wirelesslink------accesspoint/firewall/adslmodem------t'internet

need to look at both sections really

Ta!

inactionman

Can't get enough of FH
You may be able to check your wireless link with ethereal (www.ethereal.com), depending on how technically able you are, although I've never done it myself.

As for testing your internet link dslreports (www.dslreports.com) has a pretty good testing tool that's easy to use.

Gurnox

One of Freddy's beloved
jaba said:
Hi guys, Im still having trouble with my connection; lots of packet loss then sometimes its fine...loading up some sites is nigh on impossible whereas others load in the blink of an eye. I was hoping that you clever lot would know of a connection monitoring program that can see where I am losing the packets; im not sure whether they are getting lost over the wireless section of my network to the access point or whether its the adsl line from the access point to my isp... network goes:

My puter ------wirelesslink------accesspoint/firewall/adslmodem------t'internet

need to look at both sections really

Ta!

Have you tried RJ45ing your machine directly to the router bypassing the wireless link? That'll tell you if the problem is in the wireless section straight away.

jaba

Fledgling Freddie
Yeah I cant plug a network cable straight to the router because its downstairs and I dont have a cable long enough to test this, and moving my computer around the house is a task i would like to avoid if possible, when I move the router upstairs however and use either wireless or the cable I can connect to it perfectly, I just cant access the internet because the phone socket is down stairs =( bugger, oh well, ill plod on and test it some more

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
Moving the PC in range of the router to make a cabled connection should be your first priority to debug your problems I'm afraid.

Xav

jaba

Fledgling Freddie
damn, i guess im going to have to not be lazy, unless anyone wants to lend me a laptop? haha ;)

inactionman

Can't get enough of FH
You could always try to find someone with a *really* long CAT5 cable. I've got a 10M one I use, they can go up to 100M!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom