Computer wont go past boot: mystery!

Dukat

Resident Freddy
Hi all

Got a bit of a mystery here.

My brother got a PC for christmas, I looked over the specs for it and they seemed ok. I got it and checked it over for my parents before my brother got it and it seemed fine. I put a few games on there etc and got it ready for him.

All was well (apparently) and I never saw the pc again, untill now. Apparently it blue screened whilst playing red alert and now it wont load windows.

I've got it here now, I turn it on and bios is accessible, you go past the first two diagnostic screens, to where it would say "press any key to boot from CD", but straight after that the screen goes blank and the computer seems to freeze.

At first I thought it might be loading but not outputting any display to the monitor. I've tried two monitors, no difference at all. Two different gfx cards (radeon 9550 was the original, tried it with onboard and with an old radeon 9200SE which works fine in another computer) and get the same result.

I looked inside, all the IDE and power cables seem to be in order. I'm more of a software speciailist though so hardware isnt something I know a huge amount about. It could be that there is something wrong that I cant see.

I've tried putting a legit windows CD in to try to boot from that. I press any key to boot from CD at the prompt, then it says "checking computer configuration" as if it was going to load the windows CD installer menu, but instead the screen goes blank and I get the same as if I'd not booted from CD.

I've cleaned out the heatsync - plus there isnt any beeping when I start the computer, so I dont think it is an overheat issue.

When I asked my brother what he'd done with it, he said that the only things that had changed recently was that he'd started using a USB wireless stub to connect to a router(and the internet) downstairs, This being installed one/two days before this problem occured. Red alert had been installed for ages apparently, so it shouldnt be that causing a problem should it?

The specs for the computer are as follows:

3.2ghz Pentium
512 DDR ram
ATI radeon 9550 (256MB)
It was running windows XP.

Can anyone suggest what might be causing this? I've tried twiddling a few bios settings and come up blank. Really cant think what could be causing this at all.

Any help much appreciated.

Dukat

Resident Freddy
throdgrain said:
I think Id probably re-install windows tbh mate .

Yea, I thought the same thing as soon as I looked at it, only problem is it "black screens" as soon as I try to boot - either from CD, floppy or hard drive. As it is atm I cant even format the thing :(

throdgrain

FH is my second home
Aha, maybe the bios is corrupted? Theres normally a save bios thing on most mobos, have a look in the manual you might be able to re-load it from the back, or boot from a floppy disc.

Kryten

Old Cow.
"Was bought a PC for christmas"

Is this a PC World (advent, packard bell, compaq) pc by any chance?

nath

Fledgling Freddie
You could try removing the bios battery, leave it for a minute or so, slot it back in and boot. This'll do what throd is suggesting only manually and probably a bit easier.

Dukat

Resident Freddy
Kryten said:
"Was bought a PC for christmas"

Is this a PC World (advent, packard bell, compaq) pc by any chance?

Its an advent case, but its been rebuilt I believe, I had an advent a few years ago and had nothing but trouble untill I pulled it apart and put it back together, so I wouldnt have bought another one :) may be that this one still has its original motherboard though.

nath said:
You could try removing the bios battery, leave it for a minute or so, slot it back in and boot. This'll do what throd is suggesting only manually and probably a bit easier.

Ah, ok, thanks, will give this a go and let you know what happens :)

Cheers for the help!

inactionman

Can't get enough of FH
I'd suggest that there may be a problem with the power supply, it's always shocking bad on those PC World jobbies, and if someone inexperienced is upgrading on the cheap it's always the thing that gets missed out.

Have a look at it, check fans are spinning etc. any smell of burnt components coming from it? If in doubt try the computer with another one.

Dukat

Resident Freddy

Just did that, and then powered it back up with a floppy boot disk, I've actually managed to get to the a: prompt, which is the first time I've managed to have input to the machine since I've looked at it.

I'm not an msdos master :) so I'm not sure if what I'm seeing means what I think it means.

I'm doing cd c: and getting invalid drive. I'm doing dir c: and gettng invalid drive, "dir" works fine on a:, but I cant get access to c: at all.

To me this points to the harddrive being screwed, does this sound about right? I'm tempted to try slotting in another HD to see what happens, but I'm a little bit anxious about this as I'm worried it will mess up the new hard drive, leaving me with one less hard drive and being no closer to the solution.

EDIT: One thing points toward it not being the HD - I've put a CD in but it doesnt seem to want to change to the cd drive either. totally confused by this now :(

Any suggestions?

I'd suggest that there may be a problem with the power supply, it's always shocking bad on those PC World jobbies, and if someone inexperienced is upgrading on the cheap it's always the thing that gets missed out.

Have a look at it, check fans are spinning etc. any smell of burnt components coming from it? If in doubt try the computer with another one.

Powersupply seems fine. Its not from PC world as such, its been almost completely rebuilt - I know the people who did the rebuilding so I dont think they'd dump me with a duff machine intentionally, and I think they know thier stuff enough that giving me a bad psu unintentionally is unlikely. possible, but unlikely.

Anyway, fans turning, no smells of burning or anything, been rather careful about that so far :)

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
Imo its a knackered hard drive/install, try another HD if poss luv.

It won't mess up the alternate HD, trust me. If it does yoda will buy you a new one.

Dukat

Resident Freddy
Imo its a knackered hard drive/install, try another HD if poss luv.

It won't mess up the alternate HD, trust me. If it does yoda will buy you a new one.

ok, cheers, will flop another HD in there and see what happens :D

inactionman

Can't get enough of FH
Bung a knoppix livecd in the DVD drive, does it boot ok? Does it see the hard drives?

If this doesn't work, chances are the mobo's knackered.

Dukat

Resident Freddy
Just put a HD in there that was working fine in another PC, didnt seem to make a difference.

truely stumped now :(

EDIT: ok, will give that knoppix thing a go now and see what happens, cheers

Kryten

Old Cow.
Still waging monies on the PSU.

It can be a £200 1kw block with all the rave reviews under the sun. It can still fail, as can a basic 300 watt block.

Trem

My money is now on mobo or ram or CPU.

Surely if it was the PSU it would be more intermittent than it booting up then stalling at the same point everytime, either that or it just wouldn't turn on.

Had a similar thing where the CPU was the wrong speed for the mobo to handle but that doesn't make sense here as the pc has been working, unless something has messed the bios settings up, but thats been reset.

Kryten ain't often wrong on these things though ;)

I wonder if the USB hub has blown something on the mobo.

Give us the full spec Pikey, mobo make and model number and same for CPU.

Kryten

Old Cow.
Only human :)
It could still be one of many things - normally just a matter of trying a spare and a process of elimination.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Make sure you try a different data cable, try plugging it in to a different ide channel (or sata if it's sata, natch). Is the hard drive spinning up? You should be able to hear/feel it when you boot up. Any sign of the hard drive in the bios?

Kryten

Old Cow.
OH! OH! OH!

is this on a Maxtor hard drive, perchance?

please let it be, please!

If so, easy fix - get a new HDD.

Trem

OH! OH! OH!

Is this a Western Digital HD? Even easier fix....erm......buy a.....erm.......HARD DRIVES SUCK!!

*runs off*

(never had trouble with Maxtor only WD :eek:)

Kryten

Old Cow.
Nah, only saying that because it's just hit me that the symptoms are identical so far to the electrical problems many of those drives are having.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom