Computer problem

kivik

Part of the furniture
1 week ago when I turned on my computer all the shortcuts and the "start/action-bar" or whatever it's called didn't show up when logging in to my windows account. There is just the wallpaper there. Tried the ctrl+alt+del and restarting but nothing changes, I just don't understand what's wrong. Any idea what it could be so I could solve it? Appreciate any help, thanks in advance!

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
try repair from the windows dvd maybe

sounds like theres some explorer problem

can you get icons in safe mode ?

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
Press the restore desktop button.

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
To help how to do this you need to tell us which OS you are using my friend. But a Google search for 'restore active desktop on *******' Where the stars are put your OS ;)

Syri

FH is my second home
Sounds like something's loading on startup, that's locking it before explorer kicks in.
Try starting in safe mode first, see if it loads up ok. You can get to safe mode by pressing F5 or F8 just after the bios screen disapears, before the windows logo appears. Then just select Safe Mode from the list.
If safe mode loads up ok, you can load up msconfig by going to start -> run, and typing in "msconfig". go to the startup tab on msconfig once it's up, and un-tick all the boxes. Click ok and select to restart, don't go into safe mode this time, let it start normally, and if it loads ok, just go to msconfig again and re-tick boxes one at a time, and restart after each one, until it starts up ok with everything you need loaded up.
If you tick one box, restart and it freezes again, then you know that is the bad one, and you can go to safe mode again, and clear off that one, and re-tick the rest.

kivik

Part of the furniture
thanks alot for the replies. in school atm, will try things out when I get home. will get back to you :)

I'm using Windows XP.

kivik

Part of the furniture
woooo. just got to the menu after pressing f8 and choose 'last working settings'-something. and it all started up normally :) thanks alot for the help peeps, love ya all!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom