Computer monitor not responding; red flashing led on gfx card

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
Shut down my computer earlier today. Went to load it up 1-2 hours later and the following happens:

everything turns on fine; the monitor LED goes from green to yellow but inside the comp everything else is running, fans etc. Then suddenly the computer reboots itself and continuously reboots ove and over.

Obviously the monitor doesn't work so I have no idea why.

So I opened up the comp and spotted a red flashing led on the gfx card when i switch the comp on. I'm guessing the gfx card is playing up, which is causing the monitor to not respond.

I don't overclock, the comp is well ventilated and indeed I rarely push it far apart from some gaming or uni work.

I checked my gfx cards website (sapphire hd 4850) but the manual wasn't very helpful.

I did have problems with my monitor not loading up previously because the gfx card was slightly 'unhinged' but never before has it caused continuous reboots. It still is a bit unhinged so I'm moving it and trying to make sure its sat in the right place but stil no luck.

I'm either thinking a dodgy psu or something is wrong with the gfx card or maybe even the monitor. The red led that flashes on the gfx card says next to it '(60) Over-temp protection'

Any ideas?

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
Remove gfx card then put back in, reseating them sometimes cures this.

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
I forgot to mention the led that flashes is labeled: 'd1601: over-temp protect'

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
No luck trem

I'm trying to remove the cmos to reset settings but its not coming out :/

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Before I fully read your post I was ready to ask "Sapphire ATI?". I'm fairly certain that's a faulty card - contact Sapphire and get them to sort it if it's in warranty.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
you haven't bumped it or anything? seems almost as if the heat sink has been dislodged and the cpu or gpu is protecting itself?

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
I haven't bumped anything. It worked fine earler in the day, wouldn't work this evening =/

I have heard of faulty 4850's due to bad overheating but I've ran games on the system for a year now without previous problems including oblivion etc.

Any ideas how to get the cmos battery out the fuckin thing? Its surrounded by a wall of plastic ownage.

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
Resetting CMOS didn't help.

Going to try to take out gfx card & reattach.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Actually, my friend's 4870 (or 50, can't remember) just had a similar problem. It was overheating without any massive load or overclocking. He's just sent it back to ebuyer (Sapphire make you contact the retailer).

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
My comp is resetting 4-5 seconds after powering up even without a monitor/graphics card attached at all.

Should that be the case?

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Urmmmmm, probably. Not entirely sure - don't suppose you've got a spare graphics card to try? Something you can nick from another machine temporarily?

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
No :/

I did try the other pci slot but I got the same result.

I can't help but feel its a psu problem.

is my coolermaster 550 xtreme psu not good enough for a d2c 4gb 512mb gfx card machine? i dont even frickin oc :/

nath

Fledgling Freddie
I bet you WAN MILLIAN DARRAS that it's your graphics card. 550Watts is plenty.

Kryten

Old Cow.
Odd one. First and foremost, going with Nath's suggestion, see if you can get hold of another PSU somewhere to at least rule that out first. If that's fine, RMA time.

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
How would I check the mobo shy of taking it out and testing it in someone elses comp?

As even if I checked the psu and found it wasn't faulty, surely I have only narrowed it down to the mobo & gfx card?

I'm going to ask at uni for a spare psu or to test my psu in theirs.

Ebuyer no longer supply the 4850 so should I still raise an rma with them or go straight to the supplier?

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Not sure, my mate contacted Sapphire who told him to contact Ebuyer. Subsequently ebuyer say they have no stock of that card and he found out that it's no longer in production. Hopefully that means he'll get a nice upgrade :).

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
Pulled gfx card out; fan was slightly lose; re-screwed it together, connected everything together and eureka, it worked!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom