Computer bit-list!

Gray

It's my birthday today!
Right, as i say i have been looking around for a computer but i didnt wish to start the search until around November. While im not going to rush into the purchases [Going to contemplate the options for this month, and then order onwards].

Anyway, i have been paying close attention at this time to Tom's original PC thread which personally gave me a few ideas on the route i wanted to work on. I have pretty much always been an AMD user after the days of the Pentium III's and what not and i have kind of stuck with them, using a combination of AMD Athlons/BFG NVidia Graphics Cards.

However im going to take a small swerve since i have been hearing that Intel have been having much better hardware developed for the pricing, which is fine by me. Anyway, my search has not been concluded today, i will most likely chop and change anything that needs chopping and changing.

I havent built a computer myself, nor being inside one for nigh on 2-3 years now, and to say the least im scared of all this new technology. The bane of my computing life has always been the Motherboard/CPU/CPU-Fan because i completely hated fitting the bastards, but i have never tried my hand at Intel CPUs, which i hear are easier to fit [Please, tell me, do you still need a steady hand and a screwdriver? Nooo!]

Anyway...

Asus P5K Intel P35 (Socket 775) PCI-Express DDR2 Motherboard

Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 "LGA775 Conroe" 2.66GHz (1333FSB) - Retail

Corsair 2GB DDR2 XMS2-6400C4 TwinX (2x1GB)

BFG GeForce 8800 GT OC 512MB GDDR3 HDTV/Dual DVI (PCI-Express) - Retail

Enermax Infiniti 650W EIN650AWT ATX2.2 Modular SLI Compliant PSU

NZXT Hush Classic Series Silent Computer Chassis - Black

I still need to have a look at options for Hard Drive, CD Rom/DVDRW and other bits, but the main bits where the ones listed above. Everything seen there i have done quick reviews on and felt satisfied from them. The only things i did not check was the actual ATX-Case, and the Power Supply.

All the prices have [As you can see] come from the OverclockersUK website, and i am almost certain that i wont buy every single part from them [Probably spread it out between them and Aria etc].

I have for years always used the BFG-line of GeForce graphics cards, because i found their customer support absolutely amazing, i had a GeForce 6800 blow on me one day and they just went "fine, here, have a 6800GT". Wooo. Still using that to this day, but my PC most of the time struggles now so i was waiting it out.

The other thing i missed out was the actual CPU Fan [Urgh! How could that slip my mind!] what would be recommended as per an easy install [IE, no screwdrivers or steadyhands!]. Im not the biggest fan of motherboards and their fans, they always seem far too compact for my needs, meaning it is such a struggle trying to connect up leads and what not.

But in the end, if i dont feel ideally comfortable in doing it, i can always give someone else the work - But Im going to have a lot of free time over the next few months as im quitting work soon, so id rather just spend my time doing something i once enjoyed hoping it might bring me back into it!

Kryten

Old Cow.
You've made some good/wise choices there, I don't see the need in chopping or changing anything.
Specifically the e6750 is a cracking processor for the money and not many people have been able to miss the hype about the 8800GT and deservedly so, a lot of bang for your buck.

The stock fan is easy to fit so no worries there. Power supply is a quality make so I'd be happy with it's reliability, and naturally the case is very high quality too.

Gray

It's my birthday today!
For a CPU fan, again after looking at reviews, i think im going to go down the Thermaltake BigTy route, since it seemed to have scored high on some websites, bit worried about the design of it though, i hope gravity doesnt seemingly pull it down to Earth!

Im trying to make choices on what hard drive to get, i think im going to use "a" hard drive, i have never used a SATA one before, so i hope theyre setup the same - But the ones i have looked at [Seagate Barricuda, Deskstar] i remember some very very poor reviews about how they used to get fucked - This is going back to the IDE versions though, so dont know if they have changed. If not, what would be suggestive ones -£60-70 range

Kryten

Old Cow.
Not a *huge* fan of Seagate, but thats mostly down to them buying up Maxtor, who are frankly "a little bit shit".
Western Digital are probably the people to look at for HDD's and Hitachi (what were IBM and indeed Deskstars) are also very good - the "DeathStars" are a thing of the past, and they're well priced and perform nicely.

No major difference with SATA kit - you might find some drives have both the old fashioned molex power connector as well as the SATA power connector - just make sure you only connect one!
Easier than IDE really - one drive, one channel, no jumpers, masters or slaves.

The BigTy isn't a bad cooler at all - personally if you're not overclocking I don't see it's worth forking out for such a 3rd party product. The stock coolers are very good indeed (which is probably surpising for some people to hear).
I've also heard very good things about the Tuniq Tower which looks just like many other coolers - heatpipes up to a large tower of fins, but with the exception of this one having the fan in the middle of all the fins, which works very well indeed, and for the same sort of price bracket.

I do share your worries about the mounting of it - looking at the Big Typhoon it "clips" into the holes provided into your motherboard, whereas most of the other similarly heavy products have a backplate which you fit to the underside of your motherboard, which the 'sink screws into, certainly a lot more secure.

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
I think you should buy the cheapest PSU you can find, they make no difference to anything at all, they don't matter.

*runs from Kryten*

Gray

It's my birthday today!
I'll probably leave the purchasing of the CPU-Fan until the last, to assess whether the fan which comes with the CPU itself is going to cause me a headache!

Upon browsing tonight, since i have pretty much everything needed for the system i did notice something. This is more of a memory issue i guess, when i checked Overclockers yesterday it had the memory i listed in my original post [Corsair 2GB DDR2 XMS2-6400C4 TwinX (2x1GB).

Well, upon checking Aria i noticed that there was what looked like the exact same memory which was shown as being Corsair 2GB PC2-6400 XMS2 (2x1GB). Didnt take much notice at first, but upon checking Ebuyer - Thats where i become confused since it listed both memory-sticks at the same time!

As shown here on the top page - They both have exactly the same name, yet the speeds are quoted differently, one is £10 more expensive than the other one. Is speed the only difference [ala, it wouldnt even matter if i chose the cheaper option for this?]

God, so tired :p But all the parks from OcUK come to £600 ex-VAT, Aria didnt have the PSU/Graphics Card i wanted so there is a £300 difference there in price, but Ebuyer even with virtually all the same gear as OcUK [Apart from choosing a 620w PSU from Enermax still everything come in at £530 [Again, ex-VAT].

Tomorrow i'll probably chop and change the actual places i buy from to see if i can actually make it that little bit cheaper, although i can probably see myself getting stung on delivery charges which may not help matters, guess i'll have to see tomorrow!

inactionman

Can't get enough of FH
I'd suggest sticking with the corsair stuff, as last I heard Geil's RMA procedure is shocking (has to go all the way to taiwan and back), can take a month or more for you to get replacement ram if something goes wrong. Either that or get crucial, their RMA procedure is fantastic and basically just goes to scotland.

Sometimes it's worth paying slightly more for peace of mind.

Gray

It's my birthday today!
You have ordered the following items:
Item: NZXT Hush Black Silent Case - No PSU
Qty: 1Cost: 51.99

Item: Lite-On LTR-52246S 52x24x52 CD-RW IDE Internal (Beige) - OEM
Qty: 1Cost: 4.99

Item: LiteOn LH-20A1S 20X SATA DVD±RW/DL Black Bare Drive - OEM
Qty: 1Cost: 15.86

Item: ASUS P5K AiLifestyle Series iP35 Socket 775 eSATA 8channel Audio ATX Motherboard
Qty: 1Cost: 59.08

Item: Enermax Liberty 620W Modular ATX2.2 PSU
Qty: 1Cost: 79.98

Item: Corsair 2GB Kit (2x1GB) DDR2 800MHz/PC2-6400 XMS2 Memory Non-ECC Unbuffered CL4(4-4-4-12) E.P.P. Heat Spreader Lifetime Warranty
Qty: 1Cost: 50.20

Item: Western Digital 320GB 7200RPM 16MB Cache SATAII/300 - OEM
Qty: 1Cost: 44.59

Item: Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 2.66GHz 1333FSB Socket 775 4MB Cache Retail Boxed Processor
Qty: 1Cost: 96.97

-----------------------------------------------------------

Shipping method: 3 Working Days at:£6.19

Subtotal: 409.85
VAT total: 71.76
------------
Total: 481.61
------------

The only thing missing is the damn Graphics Card. I was going to buy it, again, from Ebuyer - But they was out of stock. Cue me reverting back to OverclockersUK to actually go and buy it.

After i filled out my card details etc - It took me to a page, which looks like it was from Halifax [my bank] which said i had to fill in this form to complete the purchase - I did so. I got confirmation from Halifax that that was okay - But not from OcUK to say that the order had been processed!

I dont want to put the order through again to be on the safe side, so i'll wait a few days for it to give me the confirmation i need, if i dont get it [Even on my bank statements] guess i'll just have to get it from somewhere else...

Gray

It's my birthday today!
/cry

Looks like there is loads of stock issues with all the manufacturers for the Geforce 8800GT, i have checked all the sites [Ebuyer, OcUK, Scan etc] yet every single one of them is out of stock.

I believe there has been issues with the Inno3D version of the 8800GT, but i have my mind set on getting the BFG one. Been checking each of their respective forums for information, but it seems the card is in such high demand.

Doh.

I hear a lot of good things about the EVGA one also, but i feel compelled to stick with my original BFG one! -If anyone knows any other sites which offer this under the £200 range, im listening! I did find one site, but they was vastly overpriced [Almost £40 more expensive than the rest]

Draylor

Part of the furniture
The cards are all the same Gray: and are all made by the same manufacturer. The differences between the 'brands' are a little minor clockspeed bump on some, the software they throw in, the sticker they put on the heatsink and the warranty offered.

One brand may be 'better' than the other for Ebay (or epenis, ahem) purposes, but thats all. Guess my point is buy whichever you can get at a sane price and dont worry about looking for the "right" one.

Clown

Part of the furniture
That's not [[[[strictly]]]] true. You might get manufacturers that use different heatsinks {or cooling capabilities,} and then they might use a custom firmware to bump the CPU/RAM speed.

Usually I would agree to just buy whatever you want as they would all be more ({[or less]}) the same, but for nVidia cards I would definitely recommend BFG Tech as they come overclocked <[<[with a very good warranty]>]>.

Draylor

Part of the furniture
On those 8800GTs its 100% true clown: all so far are from 1 manufacturer and are identical.

BTW: Even by your standards those [{<>}]s look like shit :D

Clown

Part of the furniture
I don't know why Gray has started to do that faggy shit. And you're probably right. I didn't see the bit about 8800GT. BFG support is fantastic just in case your card ever breaks, ever. So my vote still goes to them :)

Gray

It's my birthday today!
How in the hell are you actually meant to install the CPU Fan? Firstly im thankful that its not a screwdriver job, but dammit!

I have placed the CPU Fan ontop of the CPU, upon trying to push down on the notches to fit them into place they just wont budge, its like there is an incredible force stopping it from being done.

I managed to do 2 of them,but the other 2 just arent playing ball. It got to a point where i unhinged one of the ones which was already secure but now that one wont go back in -.-

The motherboard currently isnt installed into the case i have, but i have placed it down on a solid surface under the anti-static bag it came in. I got the Online Intel Video of installation, which has helped in actually installing the CPU, but now im against a brickwall with this.

It was strange. I had never had a problem on the other CPUs ive installed before, yet this one did feel complicated. I did sort it, but then i said to myself "well, thats fine, but the CPU Fan looks like its a doddle compared to what it used to be!"

... How wrong i was! Im a bit too worried to apply too much force incase i hear a sudden "crack".

Going to try and get this done anyway.. *brace*

/edit

Ah that was it! On the notches there is an arrow pointing in a bending motion, and under that is a sort of key allignment [Which apparently is for screw drivers?] But uhm, should they be in any sort of directional pattern during installation?

Gray

It's my birthday today!
The bastids removed that Video from Google. Dammit.

But anyway, this is what im talking about...

ImageShack - Hosting :: confusedcd0.jpg [No direct linking as its quite a big picture]. Now the quality is quite cack on the bits i wanted to show, but that just seems to be because of the distance i took the picture from.

Anyway, encircled is the notches on the underside of the motherboard. One notch looks like it has come through cleanly, one looks like it has come through, but isnt as secure - While the bottom 2 are just non-existant.

With the video that Intel provided [But since removed] There was very little pressure added by the technician installing the actual CPU Fan. It got me wondering then "Does it REALLY matter if the notches underneath arent showing?"

I did a kind of self-test where i moved the CPU Fan about, to see if it was secure - And it did infact feel secure, yet the underside of the motherboard seems to suggest otherwise. In this state i wont be installing the motherboard into the case until i feel satisfied that it is actually secured

Also! In other news i managed to finally get an order in for a BFG 8800GT. Hurray! Should be arriving tomorrow :D

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
ERm, it's been a while since I did mine, but the plastic thingies went through the mobo and where very secure. AS with anything that plugs into the mobo I was scared of applying to much pressure, but it really did need a lot.

Herbal

Loyal Freddie
Aye the push pins need a huge amount of force, when i installed mine i had to push so hard the mobo started flexing. It's a very "oh shit please don't lets this go wrong" moment.

Gray

It's my birthday today!
Everything worked out in the end. When i had my mobo on the desk, even though i was giving the fan great pushdown force they wasnt reakky budging.

I thought "To hell with it". I fitted it to the case and decided to get on with fitting everything else up. As i was near done a thought of "hm, maybe one more go..." -i pressed down with *no* force what so ever and the fricken thing just clicked in place!

That worked for the rest of them ones as well. I was pissed so much at that. But the PC is fine and dandy now - Problem is *all* my stuff is on my other computer, which i have in my other room, sadly im all out of PS/2 mice, and to back everything up i need to use the mouse as keyboard wont cut it -.-

Kryten

Old Cow.
learn uber keyboard skills :D a bit of "forced learning" to use the keyboard shortcuts and you'll be using them forever saving a lot of time and hassle in the long run. Oddly enough, during normal windows usage its quite rare that I even use my mouse any more :)

But why not just use your new usb mouse in the old one?

Mabs

J Peasemould Gruntfuttock
if you want to move it, i seriously suggest an external USB hard drive caddy jobby.
plugs into USB, whip out HDD, plug it into the , er ,plug (odd that). sees it as a removable drive, copy off what u want, then do whatever with the HDD

can get em for about 15 quid aswell.

and best bit is , it doesnt even need its own power supply , so kryten doesnt need to worry :)

Gray

It's my birthday today!
Hm, ive never thought of External-Hardrives as a way of backing up before, but yeah it seems completely logical that they would be far better at backing up something - As is always the case you know you will forget to back something up...

Im having one "major" problem at present, which i used to have years ago when my old computer was still a baby - Bluetooth drivers. I remember having huge problems getting the drivers to be installed, but then i got myself a Logitech MX900 [Bluetooth] which made the bluetooth problems go-away.

Sadly since im not using my MX900 anymore, the drivers im using WIDCOMM Bluetooth 5.1 just arent working! Ive unplugged my Belkin dongle, installed the drivers, plugged in the dongle - The system KNOWS what it is, because its being listed AS a Belkin in Device Manager, but it just wont install!

Its a damn nightmare

Kryten

Old Cow.
Unfortunately I can't provide links or what not as I'm not at the normal computer, however bluetooth does provide a few issues, mostly relating to the standard Microsoft driver and bluetooth stack - or the WIDCOMM device as you put it.
The trick is to find the Toshiba (i think) drivers or more to the point drivers that will work that use Toshiba's bluetooth stack. It'll solve all issues relating to Bluetooth, and will undoubtably be why the logitech ones you had worked well.

As and when I get to the computer I have at work riddled with various bluetooth bits I'll pass more information on :) Might be enough there to get googling with though.

Gray

It's my birthday today!
Well a site which was picked up easy enough from Google regarding the Toshiba Bluetooth is found on here, theres 2 things that might be the right one [the latest 5.1 drivers, or the SD host Controller]

Dont want to go instaling drivers thought willynilly, incase theyre seemingly the wrong ones!

Kryten

Old Cow.
Don't worry too much, they won't cause damage and are removed easily enough.
Trouble is it's going to be difficult to pin down the exact drivers are most bluetooth dongles are very generic - 90% of the market ones don't actually have any name on and the ones that do (i.e. belkin and other brands) can have any number of chipsets inside.

I'm buggered if I can find the link I used last time, I had it bookmarked for my own generic dongle - involved a bit of work replacing DLL files and the likes though :|

Gray

It's my birthday today!
Managed to sort it by looks of things, Belkin's site seemed really hard to navigate through, but i emailed one of them not long ago and got a response today.

Installed drivers then everything was flying. Wonderful

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom