Compulsory Prayer

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Why do we still have compulsory prayer in our schools?
It seems rather daft to me. I'm certainly no believer in any organised religion, so why should children have religious crap enforced on them?

for those who don't know, prayer in schools is compulsory by law . :/

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
I dont believe in religion either. But I am pleased we still have prayer, its part of our upbringing and society, if I were to start a thread on here asking why muslims still have their prayers I would have my head bitten off(top head).

So, we have it because its part of our culture.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
You're pleased kids have to sit on the floor in assembly halls and mumble along, whilst texting or playing on their phones?

I really don't see the point of it.

Trem

Oh god, I hated it, I hated assembly at school. But its there because it is part of our culture. I mean why shouldn't we have it? It at least teaches us how to be comfy on a hard floor which may become useful in later life if any of them become tramps.

I am quite sure you started this thread for a genuine reason ECA, but it does come across a little anti christian, like I said, if I started a thread saying that muslims shouldn't make their kids pray then I would get flamed to almighty hell. I am going to be speaking out for my race and culture from now on without holding back for fear of upsetting anyone.

Not having a go just making a point.

Lazarus

Part of the furniture
when you decide what race and culture you are babs, let us know first

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Its not anti-christian, I'm not sure what the law states, but I think it can be any religion?

I totally agree btw, I don't think anyone should be engaged in religion until 18+, if you're taught to accept something from an authority figure you usually do, Hi there santa claus, easter bunny, space cadets etc. I think its a pretty low form of manipulation to teach religion to under 18s.

Chilly

Balls of steel
ECA said:
You're pleased kids have to sit on the floor in assembly halls and mumble along, whilst texting or playing on their phones?

I really don't see the point of it.
Of course its a good thing. Kids dont get their as whooped by teachers any more so they have to learn some discipline somewhere. I think having to sit in silence for 5 minutes a morning is a good thing - who cares if they are praying? If they are sensible they will realise its all drivel anyway later in life and if they dont work it out then its not so bad - being relogious is hardly liek having leprosy.

Chilly

Balls of steel
ECA said:
Or dyslexic, it seems.
Ah, the old "you can't spell so you must be a retard and I can ignore your arguments" card. Good call.

Trem

ECA said:
Its not anti-christian, I'm not sure what the law states, but I think it can be any religion?

I totally agree btw, I don't think anyone should be engaged in religion until 18+, if you're taught to accept something from an authority figure you usually do, Hi there santa claus, easter bunny, space cadets etc. I think its a pretty low form of manipulation to teach religion to under 18s.

Well the other night I was in our local shop. I was waiting to buy some ciggies. Anyways this little girl, about 7 or 8 said to me "santa isn't real my mum told me, neither is easter bunny, neither is the tooth fairy" I replied with "jesus isn't real either" she bloody filled up, and then she said "yes he is, you almost got me there".

I would rather my son believe in santa than Jebus tbfh.

haarewin

Fledgling Freddie
Trem said:
Well the other night I was in our local shop. I was waiting to buy some ciggies. Anyways this little girl, about 7 or 8 said to me "santa isn't real my mum told me, neither is easter bunny, neither is the tooth fairy" I replied with "jesus isn't real either" she bloody filled up, and then she said "yes he is, you almost got me there".

lol. i'd love to have that happen.

Trem

It is the honest truth, she just started spouting this off to me. I have seen her in there before and she is a bit of a gobshite.

haarewin

Fledgling Freddie
i might provoke kids into saying that santa isnt real tomorow when i'm at work.
might as well entertain myself :D

Clown

Part of the furniture
We used to have mass, and assembley and house meetings on certain days, depending on what house we were in. People could be exempt from chapel if they had reasons to be.

It's hardly the state forcing religion on us. It's more the parent and the upbringing. My mum and dad already had ideas on what kind of school they wanted me to go. I had to chose between those few.

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
I don't see any harm in having a religious prayer every morning? This is a Christian country isn't it?

I had to say the lord's prayer every day even though i wasn't a believer in God, but I never looked at it as a religious way of "talking to God", I saw it as instilling good values, good behaivour and discipline that I either chose to adhere to or not.

Forgiveness, compassion, understanding, don't fuck your neighbours wife - all sounded like sound advice to me; they never said "BELIEVE IN GOD OR YOU'LL BURN IN HELL", so I see absolutely no harm.

What do you suggest should happen ECA? Just because you think religion is a crock of shit doesn't mean everyone else does, at least it should be presented as an education which the child -> adult decides for themselves if it's a crock of shit.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Nothing even remotely related to religion should be enforced in my opinion. Ultimately religion (for the most part) is about teaching people how to be decent individuals, however I don't think that's the only way and I don't think it should be compulsory. I'm a decent person and that sure as fuck didn't come from any religious teachings.

Chilly

Balls of steel
As long as the religion is replaced with something that teaches the same values then I completely support you nath. But in reality I suspect that the prayer and RE lessons would just get dropped and forgotten, leaving the kids without anything.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Big G said:
I had to say the lord's prayer every day even though i wasn't a believer in God, but I never looked at it as a religious way of "talking to God", I saw it as instilling good values, good behaivour and discipline that I either chose to adhere to or not.

Did you, did you really? Or, like the rest of us, did you think "this is a load of boring shite, why do they make us do this every day?" Wise beyond their years is the teenager who sees the lessons things like school assembly are supposed to instil. Fuck, most of the teachers couldn't understand why they were there, never mind the kids.

DaGaffer

nath said:
Nothing even remotely related to religion should be enforced in my opinion. Ultimately religion (for the most part) is about teaching people how to be decent individuals, however I don't think that's the only way and I don't think it should be compulsory. I'm a decent person and that sure as fuck didn't come from any religious teachings.

Religion is a means of social control; decency seems to be an unintended benefit.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
DaGaffer said:
Religion is a means of social control; decency seems to be an unintended benefit.
That's a very cynical view of religion - I'd imagine that it was actually the other way round.

Will

/bin/su
nath said:
That's a very cynical view of religion - I'd imagine that it was actually the other way round.
I'm (unusually) with DaGaffer on this one. I'm a cynic though.

DaGaffer

nath said:

Read up about Constantine the Great and how the Roman Empire 'Christianised'. Subsequent Christian history all flows from that. Going back before that, what are the ten commandments but a method of control? Jewish and Muslim dietry habits? (religion used to stop people poisoning themselves), the wrath of God? Do as priests say (or 'divinely appointed' kings, or Mullahs, or Heads of Churches), or God's fallen angel's gonna getcha. Maybe not every religion's like this, but it seems to me that the only reason to have priests or clerics between you and your God is to tell you what to do.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
DaGaffer said:
Did you, did you really? Or, like the rest of us, did you think "this is a load of boring shite, why do they make us do this every day?" Wise beyond their years is the teenager who sees the lessons things like school assembly are supposed to instil. Fuck, most of the teachers couldn't understand why they were there, never mind the kids.

spot on Gaffer.

Furr

Can't get enough of FH
I enjoyed it, But my school had a big old chapel with an organ, pulpit, murals the works etc, And being a boarding school it was also a place where news and announcements were made.

Plus its was a Christan School, and this is a Christian country. At least you don't live in lets say Pakistan where some of their school are little more than a days worth of reciting the Koran, and im sure if the kids there say they don't want to pray in the morning they get a little more than a slap on the wrist.

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
DaGaffer said:

Of course it was boring shite, all i seem to remember about school was boring shite; i fucking hate every living second of school.

But I don't take away from them that they did make decent attempt to teach some decent morals.

Sharma

Can't get enough of FH
Big G said:
Forgiveness, compassion, understanding, don't fuck your neighbours wife - all sounded like sound advice to me; they never said "BELIEVE IN GOD OR YOU'LL BURN IN HELL", so I see absolutely no harm.

I sorta had a different experience to that in my primary school.

The one I went to it was literally forced upon you every single waking day and because of that I disdain any religous preaching if it involves forcing someones ideals onto myself.

Every day would be assembly and prayer and we would have a serious grilling off the teachers if we said ANYTHING Blasphemic, it was fucking pathetic!

I can remember having to sit and be quiet in the "naughty corner" in class when I was in 4th year because I finally got up and said "I dont believe in any of this", wonderful way to run a school to be quite honest.

I just see it now as an attempt for the religous zealots to try and brainwash young kids, and I am very resentful because of it.

Turamber

Part of the furniture
You might be surprised but I agree with you. Prayer is something that should come from the heart, not something to force children to do or to recite from a book. I never went into assembly as a kid, even from a nipper, because of the same reasons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom