Comp keeps resseting - help :(

D

dr_jo

Hello? Is anyone listening to (Shovel)? He's gone to the trouble of looking up the details of the bsod that you got, and you seem to have missed it.

M

makgsnake

Originally posted by (Shovel)
If this is the case then you need to buy an additional network card and plug it in there instead (you can run more than one NIC in a system), it'll cost you about £5.

But im not on a network ....

S

(Shovel)

OK, "Network Card", "Network Adapter", whatever you fancy calling it.

Cable Modems have two methods of connection to a PC: One is via a USB connection, the other is to connect using a network card and network cable.

Using a network card/cable has always been the preference - though I can't provide technical evidence for that.

As I said in the pevious post, the problem is that the USB connection is incompatible with XP, so you need to plug your cable modem, via a network cable, into a network socket on the back of your computer - either there will be an NIC already built into your motherboard, or - as I say - you'll need to buy a standalone NIC for £5.

Ignore the word "network" in the sense of a LAN, simply consider it in terms of "The socket that a cable modem should be plugged into".

D

Deadmanwalking

Originally posted by (Shovel)
Cable Modems have two methods of connection to a PC: One is via a USB connection, the other is to connect using a network card and network cable.

Using a network card/cable has always been the preference - though I can't provide technical evidence for that.

Correct me if im wrong (I know you lot will even if im not :p) but USB is to be avoided if possible as it uses CPU cycles in order to process the connection as such. Then there are compatbility issues with older hardware/software. And the fact you lose a USB port which to some people means alot :D

S

(Shovel)

That's seems pretty good justification if you ask me :)

B

Big G

That's true.

Not a problem if that USB device is on a PC dedicated as a server/gateway (although i did hear that USB ones have a slightly higher ping, talking 5ms difference, dunno how much truth there is in that)

G

M

makgsnake

Left the side of the case off and it hasnt reset as of yet ;)

X

Xavier

I'd still follow Shovels advice and use the LAN connection over USB if I were you :rolleyes:

M

makgsnake

wouldnt it be a better idea to format and install win2k ?
ive had nothing but problems with shitty XP. (or even buy a new cable modem)

Also i was using the Webstar cable modem on XP for like 4 months , why didnt it reset then ?

K

kameleon

Originally posted by makgsnake
Left the side of the case off and it hasnt reset as of yet ;)

That speaks volumes then.

Not enough cooling. Look at new cooling solutions for GFX/CPU

And in answer to your question about monitoring programs MBM 5 Is free and almost an industry standard.

M

makgsnake

Nah, its not a heat problem, it to do with my cable modem.
Would it fix if i installed Win2k or bought a new modem ??
I dont really wanna go and pay for network stuff :mad:

D

djpringle

I think you'll find that a network adapter would be cheaper than a new modem...

M

makgsnake

New to this stuff so dont know what to buy,were from and were to put it :rolleyes:
Any idea's ?
Thinking about installing 2000 though, i never got any errors with that. :mad:

D

djpringle

Here's a cheap and cheerful network adapter from Dabs.

Installation should be very simple, just a case of sticking it into a free slot and booting up. As for setting up the cable modem that's beyond me since I don't have one...

Whoops almost forgot, better get a cable as well.

S

(Shovel)

Originally posted by djpringle

Installation should be very simple, just a case of sticking it into a free slot and booting up. As for setting up the cable modem that's beyond me since I don't have one...

You wont need to do anything more than that. The default connection created by XP is broadband friendly.

Also, you may even have got a cable with your cable modem, they usually come with both connectors for choice.

T

tris-

same thing happens to me. its not heat as my cpu is 40C constantly and the sides of the case have been for 6 months nearly, only happend when i installed Win2k. everything updated etc etc. all hardware is compatible with 2k. sometimes it just locks up rather than reset and i have had 2 BSOD too.

S

(Shovel)

As above, if you take note of of the details that come out of the BSOD, then you can usually find some info about it on Google.

T

tris-

i know one was about an IRQ error, well there is no IRQ conflicts so dunno what that was all about really, the other flashed on and then the comp reset. been looking around and people say these custom built drivers (for geforce cards) seem to sort out the probs for win2k/xp -

http://www.geeknewz.dk/modules.php?modid=13&action=show&id=29

will try them and report results.

T

tris-

the drivers are top class for me, all my graphics look 10x better and run at the same speed to, no crashes yet. i would recommend them simply for the graphical improvements.

X

Xavier

Originally posted by makgsnake
wouldnt it be a better idea to format and install win2k ?
ive had nothing but problems with shitty XP. (or even buy a new cable modem)

Also i was using the Webstar cable modem on XP for like 4 months , why didnt it reset then ?

hmm, reinstall an OS or swap to a more reliable interface? :rolleyes:

M

makgsnake

Originally posted by djpringle

is that the going price for them both, or can i get them cheaper elsewere ? plus are u sure it will fit in my mother board and the cable will fit in my modem ?
cheers.

what about this ....
http://www.pcproducts.uk.com/Shop/Product_Details.asp?DP=3206&RP=0&BSP=0
alot cheaper

S

(Shovel)

If you regard a handful of pounds as being "a lot cheaper" then yes, it's fine.

NIC's are much of a muchness these days, there's not much (at least in the 10/100 field) to make you want one over another - more so when this is just for hooking up broadband.

M

makgsnake

the stuff cost me £16 in total, cus i wanted next day delivery, or it would come on monday :p
Just hope it works :mad:

Also .... would doing all this change my IP ? :D

M

makgsnake

that cable is out of stock, can u find a me a same cable on the same site plz (dabs)

W

wyrd_fish

a new NIC will change your MAC address but not your IP, if your on broard band.

on dial up it changes every time you connect.

X

Xavier

I'd leave it unplugged for 48 hours and see if that helps, on Monday just log off for a couple of days, see your mates, drink beer.

Come wednesday/thursday you can log back onto those forums...

beer = win :)

M

makgsnake

only took 3 hours :D

anyway i weant down to my local computer shop and bought a network adapter from there.
No porblems so far :D

*crosses his fingers

Users who are viewing this thread