Comp keeps resseting - help :(

M

makgsnake

out of nowere my comp just resets itself without warning whilst playing games, doing work etc, its a pain in the arse, any ideas how to fix it ? :(

C

Clowneh!

Just suddenly started resetting itself? And you aint changed nothing?

W

wyrd_fish

mine too does this, i think its either the heat or NIC that does it...

C

Clowneh!

I woulda thought heat, dodgy cables, memory or summat

K

kameleon

seriously
are you getting a bsod or is it just restarting?

if its restarting its a heat issue
if bsod then memory or driver issue

C

Clowneh!

DODGY CABLES!

And I'm not playing Q2 with no sound, lets play GunBound :)

G

GDW

Clowneh keep your crap and thoughtless posts in the General Forum please.Thank you:)

B

Big G

Is your PC overclocked at all?

I was getting the occasional freeze during games, but thats because my PC is overclocked from 2400+ to 2700+. The core voltage was set to 1.7v, so i changed this to 1.75 and i've never had a crash since.

G

C

Clowneh!

Originally posted by GDW
Clowneh keep your crap and thoughtless posts in the General Forum please.Thank you:)

Edited: Offending texts removed - not in here plz. ~Xav

T

Trem

Either overheating or(and my money is on this) dodgy ram. What make/model is your mobo? Not an Abit by any chance?

G

GDW

Clowneh, of course my post isnt helping him. His problem could be caused by one of a larger number of things, and unless he gives us more information, people posting random ideas is unlikely to solve his problem quickly.

I think youve made yourself enough enemies in the General Forum recently without having to come in here and post more unhelpful comments.

Thats all im saying on the subject so you can rant and rave with your childish flames as long as you want tbh

C

Clowneh!

Firstly, my ideas are still things to look at.

Secondly, does it look as if I really care who likes me or not?

C) I haven't come here because of the situation of the general forums. I've been posting here for a while. I don't see you here often. This brings me to the conclusion you came to heckle me. This is all good, but don't expect me to keep quiet about it...

W

Wilier

Makgsnake. I would suggest that you may have an overheating problem, paticularly since you say that you have done nothing different lately.

It may be worth taking the side off your case and checking the condition of your HS&F blades, perhaps get hold of a can of compressed air and try to blow the dust away. If your Northbridge has a heat-sink or even a fan fitted, give that a dust down too.

Try running your machine for a bit with the case off, this will give a bit of extra cooling too.

Let us know how you get on.

Clowneh. Please keep the language reasonable mate, its nice in here, lets try and keep it that way.

:)

R

Rubric

Have you virused checked? If you have not patched XP to latest updates you may have that Virus that was kicking about last month. Blaster32 or something like that was the name.

S

sad_mung

Originally posted by Rubric
Have you virused checked? If you have not patched XP to latest updates you may have that Virus that was kicking about last month. Blaster32 or something like that was the name.
Yeah but that one bought up a dialogue telling you it was shutting down.
I must agree shutting down for no reason sounds like a heat issue. Processors do it in self defense if they get too hot.

M

makgsnake

cheers for help guys, il get the old hoover out and try sucking up the dust.

hope it dont suck up any of my comp parts :p

S

(Shovel)

Firstly, please post your OS and basic specs when posting problems, it's a great help.

Making the assumption that you are using XP, do the following:

Go to: Control Panel -> System.
Click the "Advanced" tab and click the "Settings" button under "Startup & Recovery Options".
There you will find a checkbox labelled "Automatically Restart", remove the tick from this box.

From now on, this will cause the computer to freeze up and provide a BSOD when critical errors occur. When it comes up, write it down. Post the details here, and also search Google with the error code.

There is also a registry setting that can be set to provide details of which hardware driver is responsible for the crash, but I can't remember that at 2am.

It does sound like heat, and maybe a case fan will help sort it out, however I'd recommend checking what the BSOD is and whether there is something else to take into consideration.

M

makgsnake

i did that turn off auto shut down, and it didnt say much , only crap ideas how to solve it, aload of codes and said something about webSTAR.sys :mad:

i got 3 fans inside my tower, one main one, a little one over my processor (that big silver box thingy) and a tiny one on my GFX card, were else do i need one ?

just stuck my hand in the tower when on, and the GFX card seems hotter than the processor

cheers.

ps. my comp is:

AMD Athlon XP1700+
1.47 ghz
512 MB RAM
Gforce4

K

kameleon

Are the case fans the right way round? for instance you dont want them all sucking air in or you wont get any airflow over the motherboard.

M

makgsnake

Yep,
i have a feeling it might be the graphics card , because it only resets when im playing games :mad: it also feels hot , but its got a fan attatched to it ... soo ..... hmmm ....

M

makgsnake

Hmm no more idea's guys ?
Guess il have to take it to the pc shop and waste lots of hard earned cash :(

im running windows XP btw.

T

Tom

Mount a fan on the front drawing air in low down (put paper over it to find out which way its blowing), and one on the back taking air out high up.

Your kit will be much cooler for it.

S

(Shovel)

Webstar.sys + Google...

Cable Modem in USB Port perchance?

Seems to be suggesting that your Webstar Cable Modem isn't compatible in USB on XP. If this is the case then you need to buy an additional network card and plug it in there instead (you can run more than one NIC in a system), it'll cost you about £5.

M

~Mobius~

Same thing sort of happened me to, some motherboards have a thing that makes them reset if it gets to a certain temperature, I play with the case off and a fan blowing into it and now its fine.

M

makgsnake

anybody know a fre programme i can get to show the temperature of my pc ?

M

~Mobius~

When you turn your pc on press DEL or something and then look in your BIOS - it should tell you temperature there.

Users who are viewing this thread