Commit Charge

Shovel

Can't get enough of FH
Ello all,

I'm back at uni and my computer feels horribly sluggish. I've been poking around in Task Manager and it says that the "Commit Charge" is 679MB - (this is with Outlook 2003 and Firebird running). Back home this was only 160MB!

Can anyone suggest what on earth may be going on?

I'm going to google my way down the running processes list, but I'm rather confused at the sheer size of the memory usage. The system does have 768MB, but I can't believe there's so much going on.

Any advice much appreciated.

Thanks

Edit~ The most memory used by an individual program at time of last measurement was 15MB by the way, and though Outlook can jump up to 50MB sometimes (iTunes is no slouch either) the commit charge stays gigantic even when they're closed.

Services running on my system include: mySQL, Apache and MailEnable SMTP server. The POP/Mailing list server of Mail Enable is disabled though, as is the iPodHelper of iTunes. I do run Yz'Dock/Shadow/Toolbar too but again, how any of this can add up to the 500MB extra usage over my families machine at home is unfathomable.

Shovel

Can't get enough of FH
Killed mySQL and commit charge went down by 400 MB!

Started it again and it went back up to 700. The memory usage for the process was only 8MB, so does anyone know why this happened? With this removed from automatic startup my startup commit charge was a more reasonable 190MB, so thank you :)

Danya

Fledgling Freddie
Memory usage is the processes working set - i.e. the pages windows has mapped to physical ram for it. Commit charge is how much memory it has commited (commited memory has to be backed by the page file or ram). I'd guess mysql is just a hoggy fucker in terms of memory usage. As most of it was not actually being used windows swapped it all out for you.

phlash

Fledgling Freddie
MySQL can be tuned to allocate various amounts of memory for caches/indexes etc. The default installer I think sets it up to use ~50% of your physical RAM size in total.

As a matter of interest is the PC any quicker without it?

Phil.

Shovel

Can't get enough of FH
I don't know. It does feel quicker. I've left it switched off. It's only used for testing, so I might look into tweaking the config and getting a more reasonable amount of RAM cached instead.

sibanac

Fledgling Freddie
If you are running apache just to test stuff, you can lower mem usage by changing
Code:
MinSpareServers 5
MaxSpareServers 10
StartServers 5

to samething like

Code:
MinSpareServers 3
MaxSpareServers 6
StartServers 3

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom