Coming from low/medium, going to Ultra - What 3 games?

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
The film/movies analogy is not a particularly good one on the face of it. Certainly distribution.

Whilst movies, like games, have a non-technology related thing that is prime when it comes to crafting the best (story as opposed to gameplay) movies still push their technical boundaries all the time. Continuous striving to be at the technical forefront is what the a shitload of movies attempt to do.

Games no longer do that. The ambition to do that has been lost through idiocy, greed and complacency.

The games market is bigger than movies/music put together. A "niche" technological segment, that's currently not catered for, still has the potential to be absolutely massive - as it once was.

In the same way that we no longer have supersonic flight, we no longer have games that push technological boundaries. However you weigh it up - that's fucking stupid, shortsighted and lame.

Edit: Add to that - gaming, unlike movies, doesn't have to be inclusive of all. Especially when inclusive of all means never pushing boundaries.

Tough shit if everyone can't play all the games and that there's a handful that they're excluded from. The games industry used to thrive on that, as did hardware manufacturers.

Nowadays we just get derivative chod for the masses.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Actually games have moved from pretty graphics to more innovative gaming and/or storytelling, which again is a good thing. It's not a demoscene, or a technical proving grounds, it's entertainment.

Tech improves all the time, just fine, without needing a new gfx card for one game.

Are you really going to sit there and claim that if you saw a game you REALLY wanted to play(whatever it is you play) and you couldn't play it without dropping 2k into your rig, you'd be glad? Microsoft loves people like you as customers :p

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Actually games have moved from pretty graphics to more innovative gaming and/or storytelling

I disagree with that. The regression has been on a number of fronts, but I've already covered it in other posts.

I'll say once more tho - the only place where innovation is happening on the gameplay front is in the indy scene.

Tech improves all the time, just fine, without needing a new gfx card for one game.

Are you really going to sit there and claim that if you saw a game you REALLY wanted to play(whatever it is you play) and you couldn't play it without dropping 2k into your rig, you'd be glad?

I'd be excited. Just like I used to be. I'd feel inspired - by the fact that there are people out there trying to take us new places in technological terms, rather than just playing to the mean and compromising.

I may not spunk 2 grand on a new PC. It may be the 3rd or 4th time it happens that I'd go so far as to upgrade - it always used to be. But enough people did. And that was great.

How many different ways do you want me to state the obvious? It's quite obvious that you don't miss that stuff - or give a shit about it in particular. That's fine. I'm not making an argument about how you feel. By obvious admission I'm saying that there's a niche that is no longer being catered for - and you're not part of it.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Then you disagree in your opinion, simple as that, but don't try to pose things as facts if they're not ;)

Yeah, there's no machinekilling games right now, don't need one either. Better if the tech is more advanced then games in progress, means more people can enjoy what a niche enjoyed earlier.

Yaka

Part of the furniture
you know if doom 3 had sold 1 million more copies, epic were still interested in making proper fps games that pushed their engine to the limits things woulda been different.

instead we got bulletstorm and rage things woulda been different if bullet storm was made by epic, rage was apc only game from the get go both arnt bad but coulda been much better ,

only thing thats saving the pc gaming scene is valves steam and indies ( tho most are shifting to android/ios)

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
only thing thats saving the pc gaming scene is valves steam and indies

The PC gaming scene is going strong, despite over a decade of people writing it off.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
That's my fucking argument ffs toht.

If you're arguing that, then you're a moron because i've never said otherwise :p

I've said it's a good thing that options aren't limited for people, that it's good that more people can enjoy games, that it simply doesn't make money to make to that niche and money makes games. I've never said that there -couldn't- be a rigkiller, or shouldn't, or that there are. Only thing even remotely -close- to that is that i said skyrim with enb mods can challenge a bigger machine.

Seriously scouse.

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
My setup:

IMG_4675.JPG

3 x 2" LG IPS Monitors
Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 Keyboard
Razer Naga Mouse
Razer Tiamat 7.1 Headset
Comp -
- Asus Sabretooth Z87
- Intel i7-4770K 3.5GHz
- 16Gb Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR3
- 2 x EVGA GeForce GTX780 SuperClocked w/EVGA ACX Cooler 3GB GDDR5 384bit
- HDD 3 x Samsung SSD 256Gb 840 Pro
1 x Caviar Green WD30EZRX
Router - Asus RTAC66U
Laptop - 17.3" MSi Dragon Edition GT70 ONE-609US

Screen shot on the desktop is my Neverwinter Control Wizard :)

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
You got a single game that pushes that rig?

Not even close :) It was a summer project. Something to do whilst the family is back in UK. Kept me away from mischief for a few days :) Got most of the parts from Amazon whilst in US on a biz trip. I quite like building up systems so was fun at least. Want to do a custom case next and maybe upgrade the monitor to a single curved one - like the Alienware one just waiting for 70" model with >6K res. Just need to look at any performance hit from 3 monitor setup to single with SLi.

Last edited:

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
En-route..

Gigabyte Z87X-OC
i7 4770k
R9 290 Tri-X (Going to OC and get the 290x performance..)
8Gb G-Skill 2133Mhz
128Gb Samsung (SSD)
2tb Barracuda
Corsair 540 Carbide
Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 2 (or something similar, last thing to order)

GPU / CPU blocks are being ordered in summer.
Going with a single loop, double radiator (push pull where I can get away with it) config
Getting a 2nd 290 when they're cheap.
Found out the card can be blocked without issue, are full body blocks out there.
Going to be doing some serious case modifications when the weather allows it, lots of paint and sanding

Not decided on screens yet.. (or desk.. Keyboard.. mouse)

Litmus

Resident Freddy
why not just buy stock gpu's if you going to watercool? save your self £100

Bahumat

FH is my second home
@Hawkwind I think you made a mistake with those monitors. 6" is pretty small!
Should have just bought a 17"

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Does teedles post about FC3 go some way to justifying my argument that consoles have fucked PC game development right in the ass?

I think it does:
it is horrid. In fact I'd go as far as to say it's a console backport to pc (it may well be, I didn't check). it's laggy and tbh it's older brother FC2 is -imo- prettier. even on my beast of a computer (I run all settings maxed out, and the game automagically went to DX11) there's noticable input delay. I wonder if they fixed it for Blood Dragon or I should perhaps drop down to DX10? anyone know?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n11VKLqphAc

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
No it doesn't. If there are good ports and bad ports then it's not an industry problem, but a developer problem.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Oh and before you go on one of your "well if you don't agree then you clearly work for consoles!" rants, i do think consoles have f*Cked pc gaing up ze arse on a few issues, but bad and lazy ports are just not one of them.

We've had bad port issues since the C64/amiga era for christs sake.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Watch Dogs won't hit 1080p on either PlayStation 4 or Xbox One

I'd say that's more of an industry problem than a developer problem. Ubisoft have tried to make the best game they can but it won't run on these two brand new "next-gen" consoles. We will be playing it at full res at pretty much however many fps we want (more than makes a difference) from day 1 and the consolers will have to wait until the next-gen before they can.

At least they're getting it right re: PC gamers this time around though. It looks like it's going to be a beautiful game.

Last edited:

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Yeah that was the thinking behind my new pc. Baring any hardware failures it should keep me going for 5 years. It destroys consoles for performance. 30fps, 900rez... no ta its 2014

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
No it doesn't. If there are good ports and bad ports then it's not an industry problem, but a developer problem.

FC3 isn't a port issue - it's come across very well and plays better on PC.

It's a doesn't-push-the-envelope-because-it-has-to-run-on-consoles issue...

#pcmasterrace

We're a poorly fucking served master race tho.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
I don't think we are, plenty of excellent ports and specific games about. It makes me nearly vomit saying it but Battlefield 4 is excellent on PC (recent example)

I think this generation it will be better than last simply because both consoles are basically 3 year old PCs

Cynical Brit answered the question really well in a recent postbag, can't link it while at work but will when I get home.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
excellent ports

Oh thank you master for the crumbs from your lower-class-platform table.

Where once I used to be able to play the innovative games that weighty investment and technical prowess made possible I can now play the games of yesteryear, happy in the knowledge that I'm so far ahead of the curve on my ancient hardware that the cutting edge will take another three years to catch up with me!

/grovelsforshit

leggy

Probably Scottish
FC3 isn't a port issue - it's come across very well and plays better on PC.

It's a doesn't-push-the-envelope-because-it-has-to-run-on-consoles issue...

We're a poorly fucking served master race tho.

Just because you spend 1000 clams on a games machine doesn't make you a fricking master race!!! :)

Christ, it's like listening to Audi drivers tell me how much better their car is. YOU ONLY PAID FOR IT!!!!

edit - I grew up playing PC games and I prefer PC gaming (esp MP) but I'm definitely not superior because of it.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I'm definitely not superior

No, but the games were.

Now they're just shitty ports of console games - and not just the graphics, but the design, from number of users, level size and layout, difficulty and everything else is clearly pitched towards low-spec hardware and a shitty control mechanism.

higher framerate, better textures

Not enough. Still doesn't push the graphical limits - and aside from graphics the very design of the games is hobbled because they're now playing lowest-common-denominator, not push-the-limits...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom