Coming from low/medium, going to Ultra - What 3 games?

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Don't disagree or agree particularly strongly with much of that argument but I still see retrograde steps, especially in stuff like FPS's - which simply aren't the games they used to be, precicely because they're not as niche as they used to be.

meant that there are top graphics available for more people

If you define "top graphics" as "not pushing any particular envelopes but lots of people can run them well" then yep.

I think publishers are missing a trick. The market is so much bigger now, and there's still a hunger for a top-top show your kit off game. But nobody is producing them any more. So there's a sales base that's as big, potentially bigger, as it was in the 90's that's no longer being catered for.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Yeah, but as said before it's just because making that monolith gamekit killer(like crysis was i think?), takes a lot of money(not only in lisencing engines, not to mention making an engine) and with such a niche maarket it would not make a profit.

I agree that it would be cool, but at the same time it's no longer viable due to the market. Unless someone like zenimax did it just for the PR and threw money at it knowingly.

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
I'm running twin sli over cocked GTX780 with 3Gb of GDDR5, 3 x 24" monitors in surround mode. Play everything on max without any issues. Nothing pushes it that hard. Out of the MMO Tera, FF and GW2 looked great. FPS wise Arma2 looks amazing.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
with such a niche maarket it would not make a profit.

I agree that it would be cool, but at the same time it's no longer viable due to the market

Disagree 100%.

It's completely viable to make a profit from. Always has been. But publishers are greedy - they know there's a bigger pie to take their money out of.

But they're dicks. A couple of publishers catering to the very cutting-edge end of the market would gobble up the pie that nobody is ordering any more. And that pie is a fillet-steak pie, with a red wine gravy, served by a bird that sucks you under the table as you eat it.

It's just a more sensible-sized portion, is all.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Disagree 100%.

It's completely viable to make a profit from. Always has been. But publishers are greedy - they know there's a bigger pie to take their money out of.

Considering that your budget would be at least 20mil(if you have a small team working for a LONG time) to make a machine killing game, not that profitable.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Considering that your budget would be at least 20mil(if you have a small team working for a LONG time) to make a machine killing game, not that profitable.

In a market that's no longer catered for? People used to buy new rigs for a game that pushed the limits.

Star Citizen at full everything's gonna push it apparently. And it's success on kickstarter (way in excess of 20 mill) says that publishers don't know dick about what people really want.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Will have to see how much star citizen costs/makes and how far it pushes it, neither here nor there yet ;)

People buying new rigs to play a game isn't going to make one iota of difference to a developer.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
People buying new rigs to play a game isn't going to make one iota of difference to a developer.

Funny. History shows that the entire industry used to be geared up and very profitable on exactly that basis.

Games used to be made that you regularly had to buy new components just to run at an acceptable level - and the industry still grew to be the biggest entertainment industry on the planet.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Yeah because it needed to. History, used to, etc. Past tense in every single one. Doesn't mean old things are viable now.

Hell i'd go as far as to say that they're not needed now. Even so, game developers weren't concerned about people buying new gear to play their games before either, they wanted as much sales/people playing back then too.

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
Throw your monitors away and get yourself 3 x 50" 1080p tellies.

DO IT!

Won't fit on the one viable wall in my home office / games room. Can't see wifey allowing me to turn the TV room into my new expanded office. :(

Like the idea through would be quite emersive if you could get 3 x 48-55" with thin bezels.

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
Tri 27" 1440p monitors
GTX 780 TI TRI SLI.
64Gb RAM
5Ghz 6 core Haswell-E (Pre-Release to consumer)
2011 Socket mobo.
Windows 8.1 & Windows Server 2012 (Dual boot)
Tri-Loop watercooling
512Gb SSD x2 (RAID)
4Tb HDD x2 (RAID)

I wish..

EDIT: Though, that build does exist in other places =/

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Windows 8.1 & Windows Server 2012 (Dual boot)

I wish..

No point in the dual boot. Just run Server 2012 in a Virtual Machine. Then you don't have to turn off your games to do whatever server stuff you want.

Overdriven

No point in the dual boot. Just run Server 2012 in a Virtual Machine. Then you don't have to turn off your games to do whatever server stuff you want.

Noo. No VM in VMs.

Ono

Part of the furniture
Yeah - Metro 2033 is meant to need a beast to run.

BF4 certainly for all the fancy decals and high res.

Yaka

Part of the furniture
1. bf4
2. skyrim + mods http://www.reddit.com/r/skyrim/comments/1ikhrs/
3. asseto corsa
4. gta4 + mods (yes really) i.e http://www.gta4-mods.com/misc/l3evo-gp-best8-7-f9837 & http://icelaglace.com/
5. metro 2033
6. crysis 3
7. try wii emulator and give mario galaxy 1 and 2 a go :p max settings etc
8. project cars

a number of games can have visual improvements depends how much beef is in you set up check out injectors like sweetfx etc http://www.guru3d.com/files_details/sweetfx_shader_suite_download.html

Overdriven

I'm not actually sure what you're saying there, or why :)

Was me being a twat, you know when all technical knowledge leaves your head?

In my mind (Seriously) I was thinking "Use Windows 8 as the host, to create a 2012 VM, then use 2012 VM to host 2 other VMs" - My first 2014 technical stupidity moment. :( Comments like this is why I've yet to get my server infrastructure cert..

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Interesting how you see that article as such :p

"However, the good news here is: “it’ll work on an older machine.”"

Min specs are just that, min specs, doesn't mean that ultra settings -won't- tax your machine.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Interesting in that it's an article specifically about how system specs no longer need to be quoted because nothing pushes boundaries any more?

With a new Crysis no longer being a priority, and not a single big-budget game-changer appearing in 2013, it feels almost anachronistic to even make system specs an announcement these days

Not a single one. None.

Min specs are just that, min specs, doesn't mean that ultra settings -won't- tax your machine.

My old Phenom II X3 rig plays everything perfectly fine on Ultra.

Dunno why you seem to be so butthurt at the statement of the fact that developers are no longer pushing graphical boundaries.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
I'm not butthurt at all, i just prefer that more people can play more games. That's good for business and good for games.

EDIT: actually i'll leave it at that, since you'll twist and turn the post if i say anything else :p

Last edited:

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I'm not butthurt at all, i just prefer that more people can play more games. That's good for business and good for games.

I don't think that that conclusion is correct in all circumstances - as is quite obvious from the posts I've already made and is sort of what this thread is about.

Nothing that pushes a high-end PC. Nothing. That's a retrograde step and a gap in the market that isn't being filled.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Giving more people the choice to enjoy every game is, indefinetaly, better then gatering to the niche people who want validation for their multithousand machines.

You wouldn't limit who can see a movie now would you?

Fweddy

FH is my second home
Would you film/distribute a movie in standard definition because not everyone has HD/4k?

leggy

Probably Scottish
Would you film/distribute a movie in standard definition because not everyone has HD/4k?

That's a fairly big leap. I assume that the cost of fully developing a game with cutting edge graphics far outweighs (proportionally) the cost of merely distributing a movie in HD rather than SD (which was was already filmed in a resolution high enough).

Bearing in mind that HD TVs are the norm and the content is technically backward compatible with an SD TV (for want of a better expression). Whereas Uber Shooter 3: The Boredom Continues wouldn't be.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home

Are there movies that you can't watch without a HDTV? I don't mean that you can't watch movies -in- HD, but can't watch at all without a HD TV?

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
You could also compare it to exclusive titles. Wouldn't you prefer that games weren't, say xbox exclusive and you could buy all games no matter the platform?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom