Collision Detection?

rynnor

Rockhound
Is it in or out? It was originally in the plan but recent vids suggest it was dropped - anyone know the official word?

I'd so love it to be in but I also know it adds a fair bit of overhead and thus contributes to lag in mass battles.

svartalf

Can't get enough of FH
I thought they made it so you had semi-CD. i.e. Realmmates can run through you but enemies get blocked. Exploit-o-rama, perhaps, so they might have changed it.

rynnor

Rockhound
I thought they made it so you had semi-CD. i.e. Realmmates can run through you but enemies get blocked. Exploit-o-rama, perhaps, so they might have changed it.

Yep - that was my understanding but some RvR vids show people using the old run-thru trick so now I'm wondering.

Aqe

One of Freddy's beloved
Its still in. Its very easy to change apparently so it will change many times until release.
Latest convention had CD on both friendlies and enemies while PvP flagged.

rynnor

Rockhound
Its still in. Its very easy to change apparently so it will change many times until release.
Latest convention had CD on both friendlies and enemies while PvP flagged.

Cool! Its going to make so much difference when you can actually bodyguard people properly with tank classes rather than having light tanks just run thru them to attack the vulnerable classes - that in itself is a massive improvement over DAOC if you wanted to find one :)

Oskorei

Fledgling Freddie
Cool! Its going to make so much difference when you can actually bodyguard people properly with tank classes rather than having light tanks just run thru them to attack the vulnerable classes - that in itself is a massive improvement over DAOC if you wanted to find one :)

Yeah...if CD will get through, tanks will be able to actually tank. I love that idea :D

Ctuchik

FH is my second home

whats to exploit? seems like a kickass thing to me to use in bottlenecks when ur out RVR'ing.

enough meat shields to block the enemies from getting through to the squishies while the ranged/healers sit back doing their job.
or just box in whatever enemy to prevent him from running away.

would be great imo.

Lexa

Fledgling Freddie
I think the exploits where thought to lie with pve and not rvr, for example you could afk in the doorway to the auction house and not let anyone in or stop someone killing a certain mob so your mate could get there first. More a griefing issue than anything so I would expect any CD left in the game to be rvr only.

Old Nicodemus

Loyal Freddie
I see Lexa's point in the use of CD in a non rvr enviroment, it could possibly be tripped by conditions but be inherently turned off in something like a city until those conditions are met.

rynnor

Rockhound
I see Lexa's point in the use of CD in a non rvr enviroment, it could possibly be tripped by conditions but be inherently turned off in something like a city until those conditions are met.

Glad to see your still around Nicodemus - any chance of a Fedaykin re-union in WAR?

Yep their original idea is best - just turn it on in rvr.

Just think of all the new tactics - testudo anyone?

Discipline will be paramount to retaining a good formation whilst under fire - imagine battles where one person crumbling and breaking the formation could cause the whole thing to unravel as the enemy wedge drives through the breach and overwhelms the defenders...

It will be like Ancient greek or roman battles.

SilverHood

FH is my second home
I hope they have full collision detection for non friendlies. You could surround enemy mages and they wouldn't be able to run, block mobs from reaching healers, and none of this run through faff which blighted DAOC and WoW.

Coolest of all, you could have proper tactical stuff like flanking and breaching rather than a large group of lepers throwing punches left right and center.

Rynnor, try this site for ex-Fedaykins : linky

;)

Faeldawn

Fledgling Freddie
whats to exploit? seems like a kickass thing to me to use in bottlenecks when ur out RVR'ing.

enough meat shields to block the enemies from getting through to the squishies while the ranged/healers sit back doing their job.
or just box in whatever enemy to prevent him from running away.

would be great imo.

Problems can occur, as has been encountered in other games, where a group of enemies can effectively cage an opposition player, block them in against a wall or something so that player cannot move or get out and leave them there to rot.

Imagine in DAoC terms 4 shield cross guarding tanks boxing a melee enemy into a corner, hitting engage and all going to the pub leaving the poor bastard pinned to the wall unable to escape :)

Oskorei

Fledgling Freddie
What about the Chaos Mage? That guy is hovering on a Disk of Tzeentch. Does this mean he isn't bothered by the CD? Or doesn't he fly high enough? Or is this asking too much assumption from people who can't know and people who do know asking to break NDA? :D

Aqe

One of Freddy's beloved
What about the Chaos Mage? That guy is hovering on a Disk of Tzeentch. Does this mean he isn't bothered by the CD? Or doesn't he fly high enough? Or is this asking too much assumption from people who can't know and people who do know asking to break NDA? :D

No details can be said, the general stuff officially released can be discussed but there isn't enough official info to answer questions like this or similar more specific ones.

Remember though that as said by a Dev, the Collision detection rules can be changed with just changing a few 0 to 1 = very easy, so the final setting will probably be decided just before NDA is lifted.

Sparda

Fledgling Freddie
from the version i played at games day it was semi CD. If you walked into someone for 5 seconds or so you eventualy went through them. Thats iirc ;)

Bahumat

FH is my second home
I like the way you can box people in. But I wonder what happens if you have 2 Orcs standing inside each other, then one goes into combat. The other other Orc get pushed out-ward or will he Bug and then become stuck to the other?

Oskorei

Fledgling Freddie
I think -not sure-, you can make CD 1 way: a polygon only has 1 side (unless you say it is doublesided), so anyway, you can make the CD only on one side (the outside), therefor, if something stands inside a CD object, he can just walk out, but not back in.

So: you'll be able to walk out of the other Orc. But once you're out, you're out.

I think this, because often when I make an animation, and use cloth simulators, the cloth can fall right through the reflector of it's not positioned right. I think CD in games might work the same.

rynnor

Rockhound
I wonder if you'll be able to lag-walk through people - guess we wont find out till retail :)

Oskorei

Fledgling Freddie
There is no reason to not have collision detection and plenty for it, in both PvE and PvP.

Well, the reason not to have it, is that your realmmates can block the way for you, and you can't slash your way through your realmmates. But that's easily mended afaik.

Manisch Depressiv

Part of the furniture
Well, the reason not to have it, is that your realmmates can block the way for you, and you can't slash your way through your realmmates. But that's easily mended afaik.

Dynamic /stuck command that moves one a bit away if stuck for whatever reason (on a timer, so it doesn't get abused)

or

ability to jump over someone (world of magic and stuff).

Also friendly fire would be nice but that is wish that will prolly never come true in MMOs :).

DarkSnaker

Fledgling Freddie
Thank god it won't. Think about being a chanter running a pbaoe group, you would be killing your own team :p

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Imagine in DAoC terms 4 shield cross guarding tanks boxing a melee enemy into a corner, hitting engage and all going to the pub leaving the poor bastard pinned to the wall unable to escape :)

well i'm just gonna assume that neither engage nor guard will be as powerful (if even existant in WAR) as in DAoC.

and im also gonna assume that theres gonna be a recall function in the game.

so i still dont see a problem with it.
and why are you using DAoC mechanics as an example for WAR?

Lexa

Fledgling Freddie
If that happened to me I would just send a tell to some friends saying that there was a bunch of afk muppets here and would they like some free rp's

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom