College ?

Laddey

FH is my second home
Hi, i'm here. Again.

I need to do something with my life. Being a removal man is bollox. 45 quid a day. bluh....

I want to go to college, but i can't afford to do it. I can't pay 40 quid a week board to my mum when college only give me 30.

Night college is out of the window, due to me working and never knowing what time i finish, it can be 9 o'clock some nights.

I've phoned them up to see any alternatives and they say 'we'll ring you back' yeah yeah, not heard nothing since.

There has got to be alternatives for people in my situation ?

I really want to do something with computers. A friend managed to get an apprenticeship in web design. This isn't the main thing i'd like to do, i'd love to be an I.T Technician or something.

You guy's have any idea? Anybody had any experience in this? Thanks.

dub

One of Freddy's beloved
got open exams in the UK ?

like where you read up on pensum yourself and show up on examination day (and pay small fee) , get grade and do /vic :)

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
do you have any a levels and have you got A-C in maths and english?

dub

One of Freddy's beloved
not exactly , if i were to try it here i would go to a councelor at the college or university , tell them i wanted to take the grade i desired , they would then direct me to where i can find the full pensum , from then on i would kinda be on my own till examination wich is when exams are held.

can prolong till your ready for the testing , but ofc need to get revised the pensum each year in case any changes been made.

no clue if it even remotely translates to the UK system ofc :)

tris-

not sure it will apply actually, but one of these courses maybe able to get you onto an IT degree at my uni

University of Teesside :: Undergraduate Study :: Engineering & Technology

University of Teesside :: Undergraduate Study :: Forensic & Crime Scene Investigation

no A levels needed and is the route i took as i dont have a levels. to know for sure if it can get you onto an IT degree youd need to phone em.
if they like the cut of your jib they might take you on regardless of the GCSE grades.

Laddey

FH is my second home
not sure it will apply actually, but one of these courses maybe able to get you onto an IT degree at my uni

University of Teesside :: Undergraduate Study :: Engineering & Technology

University of Teesside :: Undergraduate Study :: Forensic & Crime Scene Investigation

no A levels needed and is the route i took as i dont have a levels. to know for sure if it can get you onto an IT degree youd need to phone em.
if they like the cut of your jib they might take you on regardless of the GCSE grades.

You're a diamond mate, thanks alot ;)

Teeside, i'm in Preston. I guess they have a campus and housing for the right price? :)

GReaper

Part of the furniture
I want to go to college, but i can't afford to do it. I can't pay 40 quid a week board to my mum when college only give me 30.

Night college is out of the window, due to me working and never knowing what time i finish, it can be 9 o'clock some nights.

I've phoned them up to see any alternatives and they say 'we'll ring you back' yeah yeah, not heard nothing since.

Erm. You could actually do a normal daytime course like most other students. If you can't get enough in benefits to live on whilst studying then you could find an alternative job working part time during evenings or weekends? I don't see why you'd want to continue a shit job and study in the evening - the education is more important at your age.

Find a good course, give up the job, find an alternative part time job.

Thadius

Part of the furniture
College will give you 30 quid a week. Your mum can still claim child support allowence etc if your under 19 and in full time education.

Ask your mum to knock your board down, I dont pay anything when Im in college

Laddey

FH is my second home
Erm. You could actually do a normal daytime course like most other students. If you can't get enough in benefits to live on whilst studying then you could find an alternative job working part time during evenings or weekends? I don't see why you'd want to continue a shit job and study in the evening - the education is more important at your age.

Find a good course, give up the job, find an alternative part time job.

I know, seems like the more convenient and easiest way.

I've struggled getting jobs in the past. I'd have to chat with my mum. It mustn't be that expensive to keep a roof over my head though.

College will give you 30 quid a week. Your mum can still claim child support allowence etc if your under 19 and in full time education.

Ask your mum to knock your board down, I dont pay anything when Im in college

You sure mate? Some reason my mum reckons she won't get any benefits because i'm 18.

Marc

FH is my second home
be a scaffolder. You would start on more than you earning now and after a year or two you will be on more than most professionals around your age. Plus you get to drink loads of ale as thats all scafolders do, company van etc and there is that much work going, you will get to work away as much as you want, even abroad, with digs paid for :D

My mates take home about £45k a year, with friday afternoons off.

Laddey

FH is my second home
be a scaffolder. You would start on more than you earning now and after a year or two you will be on more than most professionals around your age. Plus you get to drink loads of ale as thats all scafolders do, company van etc and there is that much work going, you will get to work away as much as you want, even abroad, with digs paid for :D

My mates take home about £45k a year, with friday afternoons off.

I'd love to. I've seen some scaffolders work. God damn they can work hard. Isn't it like #3 on the dangerous jobs list? No thanks! I'd sooner be a pen pusher!

Marc

FH is my second home
I'd love to. I've seen some scaffolders work. God damn they can work hard. Isn't it like #3 on the dangerous jobs list? No thanks! I'd sooner be a pen pusher!

Its not just about the work, the life of a scaffolder is great. If I had my time again, I would defo of been one.

Laddey

FH is my second home
Its not just about the work, the life of a scaffolder is great. If I had my time again, I would defo of been one.

It's getting a job becoming a scaffolder though. They want time-served people afaik :(

Thadius

Part of the furniture
I know, seems like the more convenient and easiest way.

I've struggled getting jobs in the past. I'd have to chat with my mum. It mustn't be that expensive to keep a roof over my head though.

You sure mate? Some reason my mum reckons she won't get any benefits because i'm 18.

Tax Credits Help

My mum used to get 20 quid or so from me being at college from 16-19 so it might work.

tris-

You're a diamond mate, thanks alot ;)

Teeside, i'm in Preston. I guess they have a campus and housing for the right price? :)

yes and bear in mind you get grants and bursarys coming from every angle when you goto uni. we have 3-4 halls of residence on campus its self and the student houses rent out about £30 a week. i know my uni gives £500 to every new student, completley free, though it could be upto £1000.

Thadius

Part of the furniture
Thanks mate, I'll show her when she comes home :)

Failing that, contact your local Coucil type personor the Citizens Beurerea.

And like Gamah says, get your GCSE English to level c or above, jobs will ask for it. Maths at c is always good too. Im on a web design course atm, I get ALG but not young enough for tax credits. Anyway, lots of courses that are Nat Diploma will allow you retake GCSES at same time, usually odd times lime 9-11 on a Monday morning

Laddey

FH is my second home
Went to Preston College today.

I've been accepted in a course 'BTEC Diploma' whoop.

1 Year course, then another advanced course then a couple of choices.

Pitty is i'm in a course with 16 year olds. My teacher said they're all childish and due to me being in the 'industry of work' that i'll find them quite annoying and so on. Who cares! go me.

Thadius

Part of the furniture
Went to Preston College today.

I've been accepted in a course 'BTEC Diploma' whoop.

1 Year course, then another advanced course then a couple of choices.

Pitty is i'm in a course with 16 year olds. My teacher said they're all childish and due to me being in the 'industry of work' that i'll find them quite annoying and so on. Who cares! go me.

BTEC Diploma in what mate?

Thadius

Part of the furniture
'What qualification will i get?'

BTEC First Diploma IT Practitioners (ICT Systems Support)

M not sure, think its worth 5 GCSES. Im on BTEC National Diploma in E-media, thats worth 3 a levels but it is a 2 year course. I shouldnt have got onto the course and done a first year, but I proved I could hack it, I didnt have the qualifications due to kicked out of school for bullshit reasons.

Good luck with it mate

Edit: Just remembered my friend did the same course, except for 2 years. He said it was boring ;)

Laddey

FH is my second home
M not sure, think its worth 5 GCSES. Im on BTEC National Diploma in E-media, thats worth 3 a levels but it is a 2 year course. I shouldnt have got onto the course and done a first year, but I proved I could hack it, I didnt have the qualifications due to kicked out of school for bullshit reasons.

Good luck with mate

Thanks mate ;) Yeah it's the same as 5 GCSE's at grade A-C... There's advanced courses and all that stuff after the first year :)

Thanks for your help y'all.

Thadius

Part of the furniture
Thanks mate ;) Yeah it's the same as 5 GCSE's at grade A-C... There's advanced courses and all that stuff after the first year :)

Thanks for your help y'all.

If you know how to turn a pc and work a network, youll walk through it :p

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
Haha, BTEC National Diploma (Year 3, last year of 2) in System Support and Networking :D

Such BTECs :(

@Ladd: Learn binary for that year, learn laws (Health and Safety, Comp misuse act and Copyright and Patents act), Topologies, Network design (Client/Server & Peer to Peer) - For the year after, learn OSI models, TCP/IP models annndddd I can't remember.

Laddey

FH is my second home
Haha, BTEC National Diploma (Year 3, last year of 2) in System Support and Networking :D

Such BTECs :(

@Ladd: Learn binary for that year, learn laws (Health and Safety, Comp misuse act and Copyright and Patents act), Topologies, Network design (Client/Server & Peer to Peer) - For the year after, learn OSI models, TCP/IP models annndddd I can't remember.

i'll learn something along those lines...............i think......

The course sounds interesting. Can't wait to start. The fanny at college is unbelievable as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom