CoC Breaching?

O

old.Atrox

Originally posted by cougar-

Do you even play daoc or does playing retarded on forums take up all your time?

Uncle Shit(TM)
3947 (17.71 posts per day)

Does that answer your question ?

B

bone_idle

Ive seen the guy running around. I'm english and the name doesnt offend me, dont see a problem here. One of my alts is called Psion after the company that made the organisers before it went bust. I hope that doesnt break the CoC using a name like that that might be copyrighted :( .

J

Jupitus

Originally posted by bone_idle
Ive seen the guy running around. I'm english and the name doesnt offend me, dont see a problem here. One of my alts is called Psion after the company that made the organisers before it went bust. I hope that doesnt break the CoC using a name like that that might be copyrighted :( .

Tricky one... is Psion still a copyright if the company has gone bust?

Copyrighted names are against the CoC so as a precaution you might petition RightNow yourself and ask them to change it for you, giving them your preferred choice of new name at the same time.... that will avoid a GOA CSR picking a name for you at random :)

Jup.

U

Uncle Sick(tm)

Originally posted by cougar-

Do you even play daoc or does playing retarded on forums take up all your time?

I wonder just how many times I have to repeat it for you shit-headed kids.

I do play.

And no, I won't give you my in-game name.

Now gently fuck off and pwn someone who cares.

On a sidenote, Atrox... I think it's hilarious that you always wait until one of the other no brains tries to flame me.
Go with the flow, eh?

O

old.Atrox

Originally posted by Uncle Sick(tm)

I wonder just how many times I have to repeat it for you shit-headed kids.

I do play.

And no, I won't give you my in-game name.

Now gently fuck off and pwn someone who cares.

On a sidenote, Atrox... I think it's hilarious that you always wait until one of the other no brains tries to flame me.
Go with the flow, eh?

pfft Uncle Shit(TM) that wasnt a flame... I was just trying to bring some light to his question.

U

Uncle Sick(tm)

Ahh... the usual luke warm Atrox-blah...

Thanks.

Now get a cookie and go na-nights.

A

Aurelius LH

Originally posted by Jupitus

Tricky one... is Psion still a copyright if the company has gone bust?

Jup.

Actually, Psion have NOT gone bust (yet - although they are not in a very good state at the moment) - but even if they had the copyrighted name would be part of the assets of the company, and so be somebody's property (perhaps the bank who foreclose on the copyright owners, perhaps passed on as 'part payment' to their creditors, etc).

Mind you, as Psion is also a character class in several RPGs I can think of, and used in a lot of SF and fantasy stories, (and doubtless has other uses as well) as usual with 'copyrighted' words and names there is a nice minefield out there for corporate lawyers to make money from ;)

J

Jupitus

Originally posted by Aurelius LH
there is a nice minefield out there for corporate lawyers to make money from ;)

.... thanks for the update :) And I reckon it is this very minefield that GOA are being wary of when they have a strict policy on copyrighted names being used....:eek:

U

Uncle Sick(tm)

Originally posted by Jupitus

.... thanks for the update :) And I reckon it is this very minefield that GOA are being wary of when they have a strict policy on copyrighted names being used....:eek:

Isn't it you who has a "Legolas" in your guild, Jupitus?:p
*goes to write a mail to Tolkien Enterprises*

B

bongos

Originally posted by Shike
In swedish diaree means nothing hence it aint breaking the CoC, Just as some poster above said. BAJSbomb on the other hand is rather.... silly. Imo, its kinda good that GoA is lazy regarding the names, or that people are lazy to report silly names since it clearly states (if you understand the language which the silly name is written in) what level of maturity the player is on. If someone named Skitskalle (swedish for shithead) comes and want to group I would just say, No thx, grow up some first, since it obviosly is a complete tosser playing that char which the name points out.
A mature player with some sense would simply not name a char something like that. If its a good PLAYER or not, is another question, but does that really matter?
But, what if they did a random name and it came up as that?
Or (s)he just typed in a random name?

T

tOkfRanZ

And that's exactly why you shouldn't bother trying to use my forum nicks as examples.

As stated a couple of times before: I am a roleplayer - therefore I choose (hopefully;)) fitting names in-game.
And I roleplay.

Not grouping with 'funny' named players is my rule.
I don't try to make it yours.

then roleplay the funny named characters are called something else? easy solution imo.

U

Uncle Sick(tm)

Good idea.. uhm.. it lacks one major ingredient, tho - rping is a mutual act...

But worry not... I reply in character even when someone d()()d divebombs me.

Always.
Pwomise.

S

Shike

Bongos, I am pretty sure that someone would tell that poor fella that named his char something really stupid and not even knowing it about it that he have a silly name that means XXX. Hence he have the option to use rightnow and file a complaint against his name and maybe even if he asks nicely get another name he wants instead of GoA giving him one he doesnt want. I tend to use online dictionaries and try to find out what the name I have on my chars actually means. Interesting subject though, someone have probably already made that "mistake" :D

And if happens so that the random namegenerator actually gives a name that is totally out in the blue, what stops that person from asking for a new one from GoA? If that ever happened to me I would probably laugh my a** off for a while and get over it.

K

katt!

The question is: who cares about you?

Who the fuck are you anyway?

commie failed to own in cs and compensates for it out on irc/forums.

repeat for other games.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom