Cluster Servers & Instanced RvR:

Vilje

Fledgling Freddie
Cluster Servers & Instanced RvR will be introduced on the US DAoC server somewhere early in 2005. What do you guys think about this issue? :)

More info about Cluster Servers & Instanced RvR here: http://www.camelotherald.com/more/1860.shtml

I think this could be interesting...and exciting...and a bit scary.

Eva

Can't get enough of FH
I think it will be fun.. but it's quite some time untill it reach eu. Like 8 months or so maybe?

Vilje

Fledgling Freddie
Eva said:
Like 8 months or so maybe?

Got no info on that one :(
Would be happy however, if anyone knew and could tell us :)

EDIT: Just some foul grammar

Sarnat

Fledgling Freddie
I'd think it reaches us about 3 months later than US... As usual.

Fana

Fledgling Freddie
Yep, they aim for first quarter 2005 for Arena in the US so if they hold to that we might see it at the end of summer here.

Tualatin

Fledgling Freddie
HAHAHHAHA, the homeinvasion gets closer! Hibernia belongs to Albion!

Indio

Fledgling Freddie
Clustering only makes sense where a common language is shared across many servers, so would this not be pretty pointless on English servers, as there are only two. It would be simpler to just merge them, surely?

OldNick

Fledgling Freddie
Merging two or more server is not possible, as has been stated on the boards before. Im not sharing my house with no casters for a start.

This sounds like the best way to go about sorting low pop servers imo.

Nick

Minau

Loyal Freddie
Tualatin said:
HAHAHHAHA, the homeinvasion gets closer! Hibernia belongs to Albion!
U my fellow mongoloid, representate everything exc/alb stands for. one lousy rr4 paladin in epic armor(?) and a couple of bg alts.. u dont know how to play so u join the zerg night after night... and when we pharm u, u`l join the bg zerg instead... when u quit daoc, no1 will remember u more then "that zerging twat" I hate ur guts and hope u die, u_will_never_take_Hibernia.

Ballard

Fledgling Freddie
Minau said:
when u quit daoc, no1 will remember u more then "that zerging twat" I hate ur guts and hope u die, u_will_never_take_Hibernia.

And you think people will remember you and your illustrious realm rank? Do you think he plays to be remembered even? If you would also take one moment you would notice it looks as though he spends alot of his time on camlann anyway.. However people might remember you for your poor spelling and grammar but probably not.

I would guess we will get instanced RvR but not server clustering as we do not have any servers that have populations comparable to the low population US servers.

Tsabo

Fledgling Freddie
Clustering servers sounds really bad. Letting people skip from one 'dimension' to an alternate 'dimension'.

Perhaps in 'Quantum Leap Online', but not in the Era of Camelot ¬.¬

Haldar

Fledgling Freddie
what will happen with relics?

on server A - relics are even accross realms
on server B - one realm holds all relics.

which situation will be on "common space"? relicless? what's the point in having them then?

Minau

Loyal Freddie
Ballard said:
And you think people will remember you and your illustrious realm rank? Do you think he plays to be remembered even? If you would also take one moment you would notice it looks as though he spends alot of his time on camlann anyway.. However people might remember you for your poor spelling and grammar but probably not.

My realm rank is nothing speciell, compared to the peeps i run with its kinda low. But atleast i dont zerg 24/7.... And yes i know its "just a game" but it has real people playing it.. people will remember the good times/bad times cuz it was spent with real people.

Oro

Fledgling Freddie
Cluster Pryd and Excal and my first reaction was I'll be closing my account but I think this is unlikely as Excal seems to have a good enough population.
This is nothing against Excal players, but Alb combined population would go through the roof.

Need more info on this, specifically how it affects your chars on another server that may be in the cluster or do we suddenly get the ability to play all 3 realms? Realm isolation / protection from cross realming seems to my mind to go straight out the window with clustering.

Interesting the comment on housing above, that is an issue, but only if *everything* gets shared, not just RvR zones and BGs and some PvE though it does lead onto something else:

Seems a bit kludgy in some ways... you're effectively merging the servers in most ways, in time what will happen is people on those clusters would just get annoyed they couldn't do things like check out each others' housing zones.

Or is the whole thing just a sneaky way to test the water regarding merging of servers anyway? ;)

Wirey

Fledgling Freddie
I actualy think this is a good idea, Hib/Pryd will finaly enjoy playing RvR :)... zz but more albs? doh, Incoming! *cough*Lag*cough* Albs!!

Jpeg[LOD]

Fledgling Freddie
instanced RVR will be a godsend for many rvr's.

and it may well keep a LOT of people in doac instead of them switching to WOW. IMO

Fana

Fledgling Freddie
As has been said we likely wont get clustered servers here, both because while exc and pry might feel like low pop servers atm they actually arent very low pop compared to some US servers (that barely get over 500 most evenings), and also because GOA's server arcitechture is (apparently) not very similar to Mytichs, so they would need very specific solutions which they might not find it to be worth investing in.

Oh and Instanced RvR will be a godsend for those that dont find "strategic" rvr to be their cup of tea :)

Ballard

Fledgling Freddie
Minau said:
My realm rank is nothing speciell, compared to the peeps i run with its kinda low. But atleast i dont zerg 24/7.... And yes i know its "just a game" but it has real people playing it.. people will remember the good times/bad times cuz it was spent with real people.

I though i was being facetious with the whole 'illustrious' thing :O

I do agree with your point though but not quite how you mean it. Other people may not remember him and the way he played but maybe he and his friends will remember and enjoy the way they play, just as you and your friends will recall the way you played. Maybe take a moment to think from someone elses perspective before trash talking them. By the way I think his original post was in jest anyway.

Vasconcelos

Part of the furniture
Minau said:
U my fellow mongoloid, representate everything exc/alb stands for. one lousy rr4 paladin in epic armor(?) and a couple of bg alts.. u dont know how to play so u join the zerg night after night... and when we pharm u, u`l join the bg zerg instead... when u quit daoc, no1 will remember u more then "that zerging twat" I hate ur guts and hope u die, u_will_never_take_Hibernia.

All hail the mighty player :worthy:

Fin

Fledgling Freddie
the quit rate on some usa servers getting higher so they need to combine servers.. when that patch gets here pryd and excali r 1 server, go go gadget

Fana

Fledgling Freddie
Aussie said:
what happens with same names :|

They will get an addition to their names when visiting other servers and in the frontiers "of <servername>". F.ex. "Aussie of Excalibur".

iziz

Loyal Freddie
Let's say you play hib on Excal and alb on Pryd. Excal and Pryd then get clustered. Albs then go for hibs relics. Do you attack? Do you defend? Does that person that prefers playing one realm but is currently playing another swap realm and blab?

It will never work. There are way too many problems with it that haven't been thought out.

(This will happen with any server combination, it's not just a reason not to merge excal and pryd)

Vilje

Fledgling Freddie
Haldar said:
what will happen with relics?

on server A - relics are even accross realms
on server B - one realm holds all relics.

which situation will be on "common space"? relicless? what's the point in having them then?

The realms will probably have relics as usual..Ex: Mid from excalibur and mid from prydwen captures the relics. Then they share it in their common frontier.
They will both then benefit from the relic bonuses. The realms of the clustered servers will be teammates to the other realm with the same name. And they can communicate with each other.

Thats how I heard it would be. Hope it helps :)

From a Prydwen ( Mid ) point of view: RvR is lame atm, and nothing is happening. You might be doing fine over at Excalibur, but we suffer from a great lack of people over here. We just cant find our enemies, or our friends for taht matter. Have been seeing the exact same people in RvR the last period of time, mostly going solo ( supp sm's is not to funny solo :p ) as are everyone else still left. Something has to be done over here, else the server will be totally empty soon.

IainC

English WAR Community Manager
From the limited amount of info thatMythic have released so far, the frontiers zones on very low population servers will be shared and bonuses for relic ownership, keep ownership etc will apply to all the servers in that cluster. When a character from server 1 enters the frontier they will be in the same zone as a player from server 2 and wil be able to fight alonside or against players from other servers (depending on realm of course).
As Mythic still haven't finalised the details for US servers it's a little premature to say how this will affect Euro servers. It's entirely possible that it won't happen on our servers at all as we don't have any with populations as low as the smaller US communities. Primarily it's a way to give people from very small servers the same opportunities in RvR as those from larger communities without having to do messy things like migrate characters or merge servers completely. After all if you only have 100 or so peak population in your realm, taking a high level keep will be nigh impossible and it makes RvR under such circumstances close to unworkable. This way, the RvR populations can be normalised without breaking up communities.

wittor

Can't get enough of FH
Requiel said:
It's entirely possible that it won't happen on our servers at all as we don't have any with populations as low as the smaller US communities.

pfff givf it :(

Quetz

Fledgling Freddie
Requiel said:
It's entirely possible that it won't happen on our servers at all as we don't have any with populations as low as the smaller US communities.

I don't know whats more worrying, the fact that the game is in such a state that Mythic have to consider a solution like clustering, or the fact that you (and GOA presumably) have no clue what is happening on your servers. Players are leaving and most of those that are still here will be leaving shortly. If you don't have a population problem now you will have in 2 months. By that time though it will be too late. Don't fool yourself into thinking that you won't need to cluster servers, you will, and the sooner the better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom