Cleric question

chretien

Fledgling Freddie
I have a baby cleric (everyone wave at Chanticleer) who is mainly a rejuve cleric however cos I'm usually on at silly times, grouping isn't always an option so I've specced him with a healthy amount of Enhance (so he has at least a 50/50 chance against crippled one-armed goblins with sticks).
I get the idea of buffs generally, however I have a level 11 (fear my enhance spec!) acuity buff which adds 21 to the listed stat. Now I always figured acuity buffs added x to your casting stat which for a Cleric would be Piety. I cast the spell and nothing happens. I get told that I see more clearly but my Piety stays the same.
I figured I might have hit some kind of hard cap so I took off some +Piety items to test and nope, even on my base Piety it makes no difference. Chanticleer is level 27 and his Piety with items is 132.
Am I missing something really stupid, jumping to a false conclusion or did my trainers' qualification come from sending away tokens on cornflake packets?

Linnet

Fledgling Freddie
Nope, you are correct. Acuity buffs only help cloth casters, it's a +int buff in Albion (not sure about the other realms.)

(If you want to be able to solo as a cleric, smite might be a better option, honestly.)

ps. nerf you for picking the same name as a forename that I picked for my cleric's surname. If we got it from the same source, colour me amazed and impressed :)

chretien

Fledgling Freddie
Linnet said:
Nope, you are correct. Acuity buffs only help cloth casters, it's a +int buff in Albion (not sure about the other realms.)

(If you want to be able to solo as a cleric, smite might be a better option, honestly.)

ps. nerf you for picking the same name as a forename that I picked for my cleric's surname. If we got it from the same source, colour me amazed and impressed :)

Thanks for that. I thought I might be broken somehow.

As for the name, I got it from a French folksong about a chicken but I'm not likely to admit to it unless... damn!

Linnet

Fledgling Freddie
chretien said:
As for the name, I got it from a French folksong about a chicken but I'm not likely to admit to it unless... damn!

Surely not! Chickens rock!

Got mine from an obscure but pretty good fantasy novel, which is about equal (or maybe worse) in the sadness stakes.

Darzil

Fledgling Freddie
I've seen the piety increase on mine, but usually have to zone before I see it (or wait a fair while).

Darzil

Naetha

Fledgling Freddie
Yup, only works on pure (focus using) casters.

chretien

Fledgling Freddie
Thanks all. Guess you still can learn things about this game after 2 years.

Mathal

Fledgling Freddie
That makes two of us then Chret. I was under the impression it would add to my friars piety, but nooooh. :(

DrunkSkunk

Fledgling Freddie
read the patch notes guys

in 1.64:

- Acuity - This bonus will increase your casting stat, whatever your casting stat happens to be. If you're a druid, you should get an increase to empathy, while a bard should get an increase to charisma.

so your piety go up..

but didnt notice any increase of my clerics(dasboot) piety tho..

greetz

chretien

Fledgling Freddie
DrunkSkunk said:
read the patch notes guys

in 1.64:

- Acuity - This bonus will increase your casting stat, whatever your casting stat happens to be. If you're a druid, you should get an increase to empathy, while a bard should get an increase to charisma.

so your piety go up..

but didnt notice any increase of my clerics(dasboot) piety tho..

greetz

Ok so does that mean I'm bugged or is there something else that stops the buff working on clerics?

Isileth

Fledgling Freddie
chretien said:
Ok so does that mean I'm bugged or is there something else that stops the buff working on clerics?

That quote from the 1.64 notes refers to the upgraded/changed stats on the drops from the SI epic dungeons, the actual castable acuity buff doesn't effect non-focus casters (though I've read somewhere it affects valewalkers?).

Levin

Can't get enough of FH
by the way

As a side note, acuity won't help a cloth caster's power pool at all, since you must zone to have it updated according to your new acuity stat. Thus only self buffs, augmented acuity and equipment would work to help someone's power pool. Perhaps this is also one of the reasons they made it not to work for clerics, since a cleric can keep their buffs through zoning? Not that i can see ta bit of extra power points as terribly over-powered.

Balbor

Fledgling Freddie
from what i understand Pie only effects the ammount of power a cleric has and doesn't effect smite damage.

Archon

Fledgling Freddie
Someone should make a test so we can get hard fact's here :cheers:

Killerbee

Fledgling Freddie
Balbor said:
from what i understand Pie only effects the ammount of power a cleric has and doesn't effect smite damage.
It effects smite dmg.

Damon_D

Fledgling Freddie
The acuity buff in the Enhancement/Augmentation line works on cloth casters only..how hard can it be to understand.. Been playing my shaman since beta , and the buff sure as hell dont help him one bit if cast on himself. And plz stop posting silly " quotes " where you dont get the whole answer or the correct wording of the question , to try to prove otherwise

Svartmetall

Great Unclean One
Mathal said:
That makes two of us then Chret. I was under the impression it would add to my friars piety, but nooooh. :(

The fact that Acuity buffs don't affect Piety for Thanes has been a recurring theme in our TL reports for...well...ever.
I'm sure I read a few nights ago in the patch notes for one of the post-1.68 patches something about Acuity buffs being altered somehow but I can't remember what it was, exactly.

and no I'm not going to hunt through all those patch notes again right now!

Naetha

Fledgling Freddie
There's no reason why acuity buffs should effect thanes as they don't effect reavers/champions or any other non-focus caster.

Graknak

Fledgling Freddie
it is tres simple:

+Acuity buffs(or charges when on an item) are ment to add only to Pure/Cloth casters casting stats (Int/Pie depending on realm).

+Acuity as a stat on items adds to your main casting stat used when casting spells, this goes for all classes casting spells.

Example: i got the Uber 1337 Staff of d00m which gives +24Acuity and has 10 charges of a +75 Acuity BUFF

In this case if a pure Alb caster, like a Wizzy, would use it the +24Acuity would give +24 Int and the Charge would buff him with an extra +75 Int.
If a Friar or Cleric would use this staff tho they would get +24 Pie instead and the buff would be cast with no effect on them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom