Cleric Guide to buffing

Stick

Fledgling Freddie
After spending 2 days lvling in Avalon with both my lvl 48 ice wiz and lvl 40 Mercenary i found a surprising fact:
Most clerics really are absolutely clueless about buffing, which is still a vital part for exping with succes.

What i tend to get on my Mercenary today is base con and base shield, which tbh dont really matter much in PvE. Today the groups i had only had 1 cleric and no friar, so the cleric had to buff the whole group. Ive seen clerics with acuity buffs to "enhance" their conc pool for instance. What i also see often is a cleric buffing himself to the max, or 1 tank gets everything and the others nothing.

Now what are the vitals buffs for a typical group in AC (or any xp group lvling 1-50 really)?

lets take a group i had today: merc, 2 pallys, cleric, necro, minstrel, ice wiz, armsman
vital buffs for these classes are:
all tanks: spec con/dex and base dex (armsman and merc base str instead off base dex when they are slash)
cleric: base and spec dex
necro: acuity
ice wiz: base and spec dex and acuity
minstrel: nothing :)

you now might have 2 buffs left, which should go to the pallies (spec shield)

Voila, you have a well buffed group

(tomorrow ill post some more info as i have to work nightshift now) :)

Arindra

Fledgling Freddie
Also, in particular stop wasting concentration on base AF please - it doesn't stack with armour (assuming everyone's armour is reasonable quality and level appropriate).

Yes I know that is stupid way to design a buff. Don't tell me, tell Mythic.

Pin

One of Freddy's beloved
Arindra said:
Also, in particular stop wasting concentration on base AF please - it doesn't stack with armour (assuming everyone's armour is reasonable quality and level appropriate).

Yes I know that is stupid way to design a buff. Don't tell me, tell Mythic.
When were you last in an exp group that had MP armour of their level covering them?

Hell, when was the last time you were in an exp group that had tanks who didn't have green/grey crap on them?

ReaLX

Fledgling Freddie
Stick said:
After spending 2 days lvling in Avalon with both my lvl 48 ice wiz and lvl 40 Mercenary i found a surprising fact:
Most clerics really are absolutely clueless about buffing, which is still a vital part for exping with succes.

What i tend to get on my Mercenary today is base con and base shield, which tbh dont really matter much in PvE. Today the groups i had only had 1 cleric and no friar, so the cleric had to buff the whole group. Ive seen clerics with acuity buffs to "enhance" their conc pool for instance. What i also see often is a cleric buffing himself to the max, or 1 tank gets everything and the others nothing.

Now what are the vitals buffs for a typical group in AC (or any xp group lvling 1-50 really)?

lets take a group i had today: merc, 2 pallys, cleric, necro, minstrel, ice wiz, armsman
all tanks: spec con/dex and base dex (armsman and merc base str instead off base dex when they are slash)

:cheers:
I think I did a good job with my cleric when I grouped with ya ? :p

maja, das wel logisch :p

Kagato

Fledgling Freddie
Stick said:

If you have 2 pallies in the group then you might as well have one running spec shield buff all the time and save yourself some con that way, no need to get spec shield to anyone then, give them some dex to block more instead.

Stick

Fledgling Freddie
the 2 pallies have both spec dex and base dex already

Stinkie

Fledgling Freddie
Stick said:

Personaly I dont quite do it like that. with any pbaoe grp i go...

me - base AF,base Con, base dex,spec con spec dex.
ice wizzie - base con, spec con, acuity,base dex,sec dex,spec AF
Main tank(eg highest pali in grp) - base con, spec con,base dex,spec dex
necro - acuity
other tanks - base con, base dex

Any left overs are given to tanks as spec con and spec dex.

The way i see it if the cleric or wizzie die the whole grp can get wiped out and we are also the hardest to heal (wiz dies quick and if Im the only cleric i can only insta myself when i got agro) so there for need the highest protection. As for the tanks they are there to hold agro not to do damage so dont need base str imo.

As a side note for tanks in pboe grps. please for the love of god use taunt and put prot on the cleric and wizzie. it sounds obviose(sp?) to most but only a few days ago i had what looked like an amazing XP grp all 48+ and died almost every pull at halbs only to find out i had no prot at all and the main pali thought it was better to use a high hit style as opposed to a taunt.

Lac Desariel

Fledgling Freddie
The pally as Agro control.. If hes doing his Job properly will control agro on 4 or 5 mobs at once, so he will want both dex for his shield also this helps a lot with guard, and maybe som con so he lives longer, if hes being an end bot then thats a diff story

Arindra

Fledgling Freddie
Pin said:
When were you last in an exp group that had MP armour of their level covering them?

Hell, when was the last time you were in an exp group that had tanks who didn't have green/grey crap on them?

green/grey crap is one thing - but in most cases in an AC group, armour is good enough that the base AF buff is reduced enough that even my spec AF buff (all my spec buffs are rather average) is going to be better than it.

And unfortunately I still find myself having to explain this to people both in rvr and pve groups. :(

Frostor

Fledgling Freddie
most ppl dont even buff the necro because they dont know what to give to what
and when u ask buffs they say : ooc m8 sorry

Stick

Fledgling Freddie
Quote:
-------------
"Personaly I dont quite do it like that. with any pbaoe grp i go...

me - base AF,base Con, base dex,spec con spec dex.
ice wizzie - base con, spec con, acuity,base dex,sec dex,spec AF
Main tank(eg highest pali in grp) - base con, spec con,base dex,spec dex
necro - acuity
other tanks - base con, base dex

Any left overs are given to tanks as spec con and spec dex.

The way i see it if the cleric or wizzie die the whole grp can get wiped out and we are also the hardest to heal (wiz dies quick and if Im the only cleric i can only insta myself when i got agro) so there for need the highest protection. As for the tanks they are there to hold agro not to do damage so dont need base str imo."
Quote out
---------------
With this way to buff you are forgetting 2 majors things:
1. what is the cause of a cleric to get aggro: simply put: healing.
- How do you minimize the chance you have to heal? Protection of tank on casters and cleric is one, tanks taking aggro is two, and tanks getting hit as few as possible is three, wiz killing stuff as fast as possible is three
2. How do tanks get aggro and keep it: keeping it by protection, heal chant off a paladin and nonpaladin tanks hit mobs with taunt style. What determines tanks hitting a mob?--->weaponskill.

What is now the difference in my way off buffing and yours:
My way (good ole blue eyes hehe):
-all tanks have max or near max (for thrusters) weaponskill making sure or at least optimizing the chance they can hit their mob. They have a decent amount off health thru the spec con buff. And their block/parry is optimal thru maxxed qui en dex.
-wizard and cleric have buffs which help the most neediest thing: wiz kill and kill fast, cleric heal as fast as possible (and block better with both dexes ;-))
-necro no difference

Your way:
-only the pally has good buffs. In my scheme i didnt focus on high weaponskill for the pally (he doesnt need that cuz off heal chant and taunt shout), just max dex and good con with spec con/dex and base dex. The other tanks are neglected on buffs and henceforth have difficulty even hitting and by so taunting high con purples cuz of lower weaponskill.
-you buff yourself and the icewiz because you go out from the worst: you think you will get hit. Dont think you will, know you will.... (mhz i like Matrix movie hehe) The thing spec and base con do for you 2 is give some shred off health and uhm...... It doesnt raise damage, nor prevents it, or makes the chance you will get hit or get aggro by any way less.

What might be well happening is the non pally tanks not being able to hold any aggro, pallys or worse a single paladin of lvl 44-45ish getting all aggro. Sometimes you have a lvl 47-48 pally in group with epic armour on, and sometimes you have a paladin with crap armour, with your buffing scheme he will have a much much bigger chance to die.

Btw especially not giving any tank spec dex is blasphemy imo :p Not only it raises their defense (and offense/hitting chance when thrust) also it makes them hit faster and land those taunts sooner!!!

Btw in the end i made this post somewhat fot the maybe newer clerics ive met in AC, they might read it, and they might get a relaxter job cuz people dont moan to em about getting another buff. Also i really think my scheme off buffing will prevent a lot off healing :D

Silenzio

Fledgling Freddie
think u should learn how to buff properly before making a such post on mmm on this forum ;)

xoboll

Fledgling Freddie
i say, bring all your buff botts with u and fully buff the whole grp :cheers:

1 or 2 clerics in the grp .. 2 out of grp bots and u r set.. then theres no moaning..

Konah

Fledgling Freddie
tanks: spec con/str, base str (+spec dex if conc left over)
dmg casters: spec dex, base dex, spec af, acuity
cleric: spec dex, base dex, spec con, base con, base af, spec af
mincer: spec con/str if spare
main aggro: usual buffs + base af/spec af, base dex, base con

reasoning? max tanks dmg output and speed, max casters dmg output, max clerics survivability and cast time, max main aggro survivability. then your all set.

if u got some dick who likes to get aggro but isnt built for it (lo der pally infil alts!) then u need to max his defence skillz and trim his dmg output.

Reno

One of Freddy's beloved
Stick said:
Quote:
. What determines tanks hitting a mob?--->weaponskill.

-all tanks have max or near max (for thrusters) weaponskill making sure or at least optimizing the chance they can hit their mob.

Weaponskill has nothing to do with your chances of hitting a mob, unless that mob has an active defense (evade/parry/block).
Higher weaponskill will allow you to do more damage however.

Danita

Z^^

Can't get enough of FH
fotm rulke, im a good buffer right :confused:
i buff myself all buffs then buff mincer so he can do some dmg and then we all can have fun!11111111

Asha

Fledgling Freddie
Z^^ said:
i buff myself all buffs then buff mincer so he can do some dmg and then we all can have fun!11111111
don't you hate it when bbots start talking back...
:p

Rulke

Can't get enough of FH
Z^^ said:
Yes you buff yourself so you can rezz all the unbuffed dead people really fast

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
dex + spec/dex on yourself _first_ clerics!

makes the ten years of buffing a lot shorter ;)

and give yourself con/spec con/af/spec AF if you don't trust yer tanks ;)

swords

Can't get enough of FH
Cleric guide to buffing...whatever next!

Cleric guide to strafing?
Cleric guide to Mana conseration?
Cleric guide to Pre Emptive healing?
and lets not forget the Cleric guide to being the last one alive and running all the way back to the PK with a zerg on your ass :m00:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom