Civ V

Talyn

Can't get enough of FH
Alright, it's not RTS, it's TBS, but without a TBS forum, I thought i'd stick it here...

I've put in my preorder on Steam, Play has it for a fiver cheaper, but I doubt it'll be throught eh letterbox until Tuesday. This way, Friday morning, it's MINE I tell you!!

But, once again, the rest of the world get shafted as the US gets it's release tomorrow.

I'm quite surprised that I've not seen anything about Civ on here, do we have any players? And do we have anyone who'd be up for some multiplayer (I guess via Steam?)?

Anyway, I'm well looking forward to it, and if you have 2 hours to spare, check out Walk Like An Egyptian: Civ V Walkthrough | Rock, Paper, Shotgun

Mabs

J Peasemould Gruntfuttock
yep
me and a couple of my regular lurkers are all getting it and planning on a cavort :)

Lethul

FH is my second home
I totally missed this, i thought Civ V was that crap Xbox port. Weeee :)

Altho just saw this comment, I agree with it!

Jimbo says:
September 17, 2010 at 7:01 pm

I wish we lived in a world where we could have an article about Sid Meier’s Pirates! V! instead :’(

:p

Agell

One of Freddy's beloved
Pre ordered and Pre loaded darn those damned americans!

Exioce

Part of the furniture
Yeah just need to hold out for a few more days.

Then again I'm travelling on Friday, and have a Red Dead Redemption LAN party on Saturday (NERD WARNING), so will get stuck into Civ V next week :)

Mabs

demo is out on steam for those who want a look at the new interface etc

its a nice update, but is Civ-y enough that you can get straight in

Rulke

Can't get enough of FH
Went to buy it on Steam, wouldnt let me - said I already had it. Sure enough, checked my transaction history and it turns out I pre-ordered it in may :p

Wonder when it'll show up in my library

Talyn

Can't get enough of FH
Went to buy it on Steam, wouldnt let me - said I already had it. Sure enough, checked my transaction history and it turns out I pre-ordered it in may :p

Wonder when it'll show up in my library

Should already be there under 'Sid Meiers Civilisation'. Mine is - although I've done pre-download too.. dunno if that makes a diffrence.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Can it *really* be that different that it's worth playing the same again all over again?

Don't get me wrong. I love CIV. But every incarnation has effectively been the same experience. And it takes hewuge bites out of my life to boot...

:)

Talyn

Can't get enough of FH

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Can it *really* be that different that it's worth playing the same again all over again?

Don't get me wrong. I love CIV. But every incarnation has effectively been the same experience. And it takes hewuge bites out of my life to boot...

Agreed. Not had the time to play a Civ-game since Alpha Centauri (SMAC).

If you need a Civ-fix though there's free clones.

Mabs

why do people buy Fifa games year in year out ?
championship manager?
call of duty ?

cos its more of the same, that they enjoy,with some nice new bits

is it that different ? no, otherwise it wouldnt be a civ game

do you like Civ ? then you will most likely enjoy Civ 5.. end of :)

is it worth 30 quid ? well thats your decision

go try the demo :p
http://store.steampowered.com/app/8930/

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
why do people buy Fifa games year in year out ?
championship manager?

For me it was Pro Evo. Thought it was about having fun.

But then I realised something: It's 'cause I was dumb.

As long as people shell out for a minor graphical update with a few gameplay tweaks then publishers will have no reason to fix the big problems. In CIV that's the single player AI and all the diplomacy stuff IMO.

I'll stick with CIV 4 for the time being, until V becomes really really cheap or summat :)

Mabs

fair enough

its the new combat system that got my interest tbh :)

Roo Stercogburn

Resident Freddy
I saw some posts by people who have (legit) advance copies. Its meant to be very good.

I haven't played Civ since the first game. I bought Alpha Centauri and used to play that a fair bit. Great fun.

Not sure I'll get this one. I'll wait and see what the Freddies collective think :)

Helme

Resident Freddy

It's the same, but still different. I'm very much looking forward to the new combat for example. The death-stacks in the previous games always pissed me off.

Agell

One of Freddy's beloved
using a vpn I activated mine last night, at midnight I thought I better eat!!!!

The combat is great and the AI is much better than previously, City States are very good, my only bugbear is the AI diplomacy which is ok but still has superfluous options that really dont seem to do much (disclaimer I may change my mind once I play it some more)

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
getting loads of dxgmms1.sys BSODs on my 64b windoze 7 :(:(:(

Agell

One of Freddy's beloved
not had any bsod and me is on W7 x64 too, so far no memory leaks either!

Shagrat

I am a FH squatter
seems fine on single player here. mp seems a bit flakey.

much improved on civ4 imo. the combat changes alone are v nice.

Talyn

Can't get enough of FH
I'm loving it at the moment, although I am getting sparodic crashes.

No bsods, just 'stopped responding'. It'll go twice in an hour, then it'll be fine 4/5 hours.

Due to that, i've changed the autosave to every 5 turns, so I don't have to replay a whole bunch of stuff.

That's probably my biggest complaint.

I think one of the best things is that there's no 'distance' maintenence for your cities anymore, just the building maintenence. I have cities all over the earth map at the moment, the only problem with that is lack of gold due to lack of trade routes with my capital. (except for the ones on the coast)

The resources are also spread few and far between, unlike Civ IV where there was a resource every other tile. Makes placing cities a little more strategic. (Do I go there, where the food is, or here where those gems and ivory are...?)

Mabs

ive had 3 games now where ive spread about normal, 6-7 cities by 1500 AD, and had ZERO iron anywhere

dont know if its rarer now or what, but it can really bugger you up and its too late to move once you realise :\

Mabs

for those having crashing probs, this was posted on Steam forums, not tried it, its a straight CnP, but might be worth checking out :)

~~~

I was going through some of the .ini files to set a number of things that are not exposed in the interface options screen and noticed this entry in both the GraphicsSettingsDX11.ini and GraphicsSettingsDX9.ini files:

; Use more advanced GPU features which can cause some drivers to crash
TerrainUseAdvancedGPU = 1

That comment line suggests that this may be worth setting to 0 for those currently trying to troubleshoot crash problems.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
oooh I deffo shall give that a go!

Talyn

Can't get enough of FH
That comment line suggests that this may be worth setting to 0 for those currently trying to troubleshoot crash problems.

Just checked mine, both set to 0 already, but still getting crashes...

Ah well, just have to wait for the next idea!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom