Games Cities: Skylines

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
There does appear to be a lack of bridge options when it comes to rail/road crossings.
You need to push page up or page down while you have the road brush selected to raise and lower your road. It can be a little fiddly but it works.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
It also seems impossible to continue to edit a raised road/railroad.

Unless you build into it.

You have to make sure your brush is the same height as the road you are working on and it's fine...again fiddly though.

SilverHood

FH is my second home
This is a cool game, lost a large chunk of my weekend to it!

It's not really about skylines.... it's about traffic management! Just spent last 5 in game years rebuilding and redesigning my traffic flow. It still clogs occasionally, but not the year long gridlocks of before.

leggy

Probably Scottish
This is
This is a cool game, lost a large chunk of my weekend to it!

It's not really about skylines.... it's about traffic management! Just spent last 5 in game years rebuilding and redesigning my traffic flow. It still clogs occasionally, but not the year long gridlocks of before.

This is my biggest issue with the game actually. I feel it detracts from the other 'fun' aspects of building and managing a city.

SilverHood

FH is my second home
This is my biggest issue with the game actually. I feel it detracts from the other 'fun' aspects of building and managing a city.

It's my first city, so I made a lot of mistakes, for example, having my industry start as soon as you got off the highway, when in reality, I should have built several roundabouts, and not managing the traffic flow of large roads > medium roads > small roads.
I got by with a few one way systems and having only one highway connection in and out. Once I added that second highway connection in an expanded area though, traffic became murderous, and I had to demolish and dezone half my original city.

When I added a harbor Cargo Terminal, it got beyond silly, I had to build 6 lane one way roads to and from the harbor just to keep it respectable, and a separate 6 lane to and from my 4 industrial areas. I'm already planning my 2nd city in my head, going to keep learning on this go and see where I end up. Have several million in the bank, so plenty of opportunity of getting creative.

Need to figure out how trains work, as I'm only getting a handful of passengers each week.
Need to figure out how to get dam's to generate more than 96 MW's.
Public transport.... lol, not in my town! Maybe I'll do this properly too. Hard when you can't see coverage heat maps.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
I found that hydro energy was a waste of time. Its expensive to run and set up and the power output isn't that great. I would wait until you get solar plants which are really good with really high output, they don't bother anyone if you place them in your industrial zones.

Regarding public transport, I set up a pretty decent metro that seemed to keep people happy, everything else I linked with bus routes and didn't get all that much over demand for labour, except when there wasn't enough housing, sticking up plots of high density housing solved that pretty quickly..

I have also hit the traffic wall though, I just can't shift rubbish and bodies out quick enough and I think for my next city I really need to think about future roads from the start. I am thinking about doing super hubs, wide lanes into areas and then branching out into smaller and smaller roads, kind of like trees I guess.

You certainly have to think about where you put stuff though, its pretty complex under the surface

Last edited:

SilverHood

FH is my second home
I found that hydro energy was a waste of time. Its expensive to run and set up and the power output isn't that great. I would wait until you get solar plants which are really good with really high output, they don't bother anyone if you place them in your industrial zones.

Regarding public transport, I set up a pretty decent metro that seemed to keep people happy, everything else I linked with bus routes and didn't get all that much over demand for labour, except when there wasn't enough housing, sticking up plots of high density housing solved that pretty quickly..

I have also hit the traffic wall though, I just can't shift rubbish and bodies out quick enough and I think for my next city I really need to think about future roads from the start. I am thinking about doing super hubs, wide lanes into areas and then branching out into smaller and smaller roads, kind of like trees I guess.

You certainly have to think about where you put stuff though, its pretty complex under the surface

Yeah, I found that my latest district, which was an area surrounded by 6 lane roads, worked really well. Inside the area, I had normal roads. Only 3 entrances and exists. Office blocks on the zones next to the busy road the absorb the noise. My best district by far.

Indeed, solar is the boss. I don't like their progression matrix. Would rather have everything limited by cost.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
Just built a huge city.

then pressed F4 by accident.

Loads your last save.

4 hours worth of building kaput.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Just built a huge city.

Loads your last save.

Wish I was a student so I had time to game four hours in the day again.

~Latency~

Can't get enough of FH
dude, 4 hours isn't a long time =p

i played this a little, it's fun but borderline work imo making sure all your dick citizens are happy, not sure i can be bothered yet :|

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
dude, 4 hours isn't a long time =p

i played this a little, it's fun but borderline work imo making sure all your dick citizens are happy, not sure i can be bothered yet :|
Moriath likes to point out i'm a student every now and again.

I think he wants my d.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Moriath likes to point out i'm a student every now and again.

I think he wants my d.
No just reminiscing. Was a long time ago for me and didn't even have the interweb at home. It was just starting with uni connections.

Jealous is more likely than wanting your dick.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Just built a huge city.

Loads your last save.

There is a mod that auto saves every 10 minutes.

I bet you wish I told you about it a few days ago.

Athan

Resident Freddy
It does sound like Skylines needs to do what KSP does with that, and have you HOLD the key for several seconds in order to load the last quicksave.

Zarjazz

Identifies as a horologist.
It's my first city, so I made a lot of mistakes....

I've had may of those troubles too. Teaching you the UI is fine, but I find the lack of a tutorial for a lot of these game mechanics that you only learn through lots of mistakes and restarts the only negative I'd had with the game so far.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
I dunno, I quite like figuring stuff out and seeing what works and what doesn't.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
...or at least popup a confirmation dialogue.

Heh yeah it's fnny, a lot of people complaina bout confirmation dialogues in games(like don't hold my hand, annoying extra steps etc), but when you're left without them then you start to notice just how important they are.

Load confirmations are a must in games in my opinion, even in quickload situations.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Ok I've been able to properly throw some hours at this and I really love it. The traffic is a bit of a chore but it's good fun seeing what works and what doesn't. I've got together a decent sized successful city (~35k population) and I spent so long faffing around rejigging traffic that I had well over €1m in the bank. In that respect I guess it's a bit easy to make money (this is still my first city after all). I have had a couple of mass exoduses (garbage piling up and bad traffic management leading to no fuel for my power stations). I also spent the better part of half an hour putting a swanky 6 lane one way system but it actually made things so much worse. I've not really done anything with taxes or ordinances (or whatever this game calls them), that side of it has pretty much taken care of itself.

For traffic management, this guy (who is actually a traffic engineer), has put together a very thorough (and beautiful) guide: If you're having traffic problems I feel bad for you son / I'm a traffic engineer and I made you a guide.

Last edited:

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
He has expanded the guide a lot because of how well received it was. There's some seriously helpful stuff in there (particularly to do with cargo and public transport).

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Spent well over an hour on access roads and intersections, getting them just so.

The thing is, once you have that sorted out, along with decent roads around the city it gets to the point of just spending money. Sat at around 120k population now and decided to start a new town on new land sections, getting the roads all set up before I start placing building types.

Can't see it having massive long term play but if I get 100 hours out of it I will be happy.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
If only my mind was ordered enough to do something like that

Exioce

Part of the furniture
Had another bash at this last night. Nice little 15k town, all running smoothly. Just using a couple of roundabouts for traffic.
Unlocked high density zoning, so planned another town right next to it. The insane immigration backed up the interstate highway to the horizon, and my ghetto roundabout tactic is not up to the task. Will need to start learning about highways and offramps...

Also trying to figure out imports/exports, attempting to keep things balanced so that my industrial zones complement each other and I don't rely too much on imports.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Feeling a little inadequate now, thanks.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Pretty sure I'm about to launch myself back into this game. I sort of stopped when GTA came along and haven't really picked it up since but I just saw this...

...and I feel the urge to build stuff once more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom