Chernobyl Aftermath (source: Slashdot)

Covenant

Can't get enough of FH
Christ, was it really that long ago? :(

I remeber being scared when I heard that the reactor had blown up - I thought the radiation would spread and cover the UK, too.

Some of those photos are quite disturbing, if you put your mind to it - the pictures of the ghost town especially. To think that people just upped and left - through no choice of their own - and had to leave their entire lives behind them *shiver*

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Great find, really interesting read.

EvilMonkeh

Fledgling Freddie
very interesting.
radiation poisoning is quite scary, as there is relatively nothing you can do against the invisible menace....
makes you think....

Skyler

Fledgling Freddie
Great page.. I hope that person writes more of it.. I think I'll save it all to my PC incase it gets taken down as it's hosted at some crappy Angelfire webspace... It's something I want to show a few people as there are some powerful images there.

This is part of why I said I liked 28days later in an odd way... it kind of made you see what it would be like if something that bad happened in the UK and everyone was evacuated or tried to get away...

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Breni said:
I remeber being scared when I heard that the reactor had blown up - I thought the radiation would spread and cover the UK, too.

It did. Don't you remember all the sheep in wales having radiation poisoning because some of the grass types there accumulate radiation really quickly - and when the sheep eat it they accumulate the sum of the radiation from the grass even faster - resulting in sheep that were 2.5 times more radioactive than the safety limits???....

/ban sheep ON. :(

Rubber Bullets

FH is my second home
Very Moving

And the saddest thing is that children are still dying in abject poverty because of the disaster.

There is a charity in this country that brings the children with leukemia over to this country for a month or two and homes them with families here. I attended a lecture by one of the women who looks after them, herself an radiotherapy radiographer. By the time she finished I was virtually in tears, the story is so tragic, and continues to be so.

RB

granny

Fledgling Freddie
This is incredible, people lived, had homes, country houses, garages, motorcyles, cars, money, friends and relatives, people had their life, each in own niche and then in a matter of hours this world fall in pieces and everything goes to dogs and after few hours trip with some army vehicle one stands under some shower, washing away radiation and then step in a new life, naked with no home, no friends, no money, no past and with very doubtful future.

Sobering stuff.

Gray

FH is my second home
yeah that was a very interesting read.

Isnt somewhere like Hiroshima like that? Because of the bomb?

Athan

Resident Freddy
Skyler said:
Great page.. I hope that person writes more of it.. I think I'll save it all to my PC incase it gets taken down as it's hosted at some crappy Angelfire webspace... It's something I want to show a few people as there are some powerful images there.

If you check the slashdot comments a whole bunch of people have already mirrored it. One more doesn't hurt though :). Did you remember to grab page 16 too ?

This is part of why I said I liked 28days later in an odd way... it kind of made you see what it would be like if something that bad happened in the UK and everyone was evacuated or tried to get away...

I've not seen that yet, but shall do soon.

-Ath

Paradroid

Fledgling Freddie
Yeah, I'm sure we stopped eating dairy products for a while (why, I'm not too sure - the contaminated milk probably). Didn't the wind blow north, straight after the disaster, and across the UK?

Do you remember (those old enough that is) the weather reports with (almost comical) radiation symbols?

:mad:

*cough*

Mofo8

Fledgling Freddie
Paradroid said:
Yeah, I'm sure we stopped eating dairy products for a while (why, I'm not too sure - the contaminated milk probably). Didn't the wind blow north, straight after the disaster, and across the UK?

Do you remember (those old enough that is) the weather reports with (almost comical) radiation symbols?

:mad:

*cough*

Oi! Gerry! You not been getting any e-mail recently?

Summo

Loyal Freddie
That's fascinating! Great link. A professional photographer needs to get in there and explore. TdC? You're closest out of all of us...

/digress...

I was doing some work today in a Council office which used to be an old Victorian hospital, then an old people's home, then a refugee centre in Colchester. The building is fascinating and divided into six meandering wings, complete with external Victorian chapel, mortuary and laundry room.

Anyway, the top floor of the wings hasn't been used for decades. The stairways were boarded up long ago and everything up there just left as it was. I managed to find a small area where I could pull the wood back enough to climb in and spent twenty minutes just wandering around. Its amazing how an empty building just seems to crumble over time - sections of the ceiling had caved in scattering rubble over old beds and in dry toilets, cupboards were open with old clothes and books inside, dolls face-down on the floor, paint and plaster peeling off and left where they fell. I've never seen so many dead flies...

The point is, this was an eerie and fascinating exploration for me (except when I couldn't find my way out again) and I can't imagine a whole town like that, especially given the element of danger.

Amazing. I'd go.

xane

Fledgling Freddie
Rubber Bullets said:
And the saddest thing is that children are still dying in abject poverty because of the disaster.

There is a charity in this country that brings the children with leukemia over to this country for a month or two and homes them with families here. I attended a lecture by one of the women who looks after them, herself an radiotherapy radiographer. By the time she finished I was virtually in tears, the story is so tragic, and continues to be so.

I think you'll find the predominant illness in victims of Chernobyl is Thyroid Cancer, not Leukemia. There was a definite association between a rapid rise in Thyroid Cancer in and around the Chernobyl area after the accident, whereas leukemia cases were hardly noted.

Leukemia is normally associated with a direct massive exposure to radiation, such happened in the Hiroshima atomic bomb blast, however the "natural" causes of leukemia are largely unknown and even with extensive studies no link has been made between leukemia and areas of high radition such as Chernobyl.

The true cause of leukemia is suspected to be a viral or bacterial infection, there is growing support for this theory. Examinations of "leukemia clusters" throughout the world can find no common explaination for them. Poverty is associated with bad heath and illness, so this can often explain higher numbers of leukemia cases, but that is largely unrelated to the actual radiation damage from places like Chernobyl.

Rubber Bullets

FH is my second home
Thanks for the support Throddy...

but xane is absolutely right.

There are certainly cases of leakemia amongst the children effected by Chernobyl, but there is not an increase in the expected numbers. It is thyroid cancer that has seen the largest increase.

Sadly too I am not a radiologist, but a radiographer, and not a radiotherapist either so it was not my area of expertise.

None of this detracts from the great work the host families are doing in this country, or the continuing tragedy.

RB

Skyler

Fledgling Freddie
Athan when you do see it, remember I wasn't reffering to the entire film giving that feeling as it gets a little crazy in the second half, but the first 30minutes is great.

Sharma

Can't get enough of FH
shining

This is highest building in town and in April 26-27, 1986 after reactor exploaded, people gathered on the roof of this building to watch a beautiful shining that rised above APP. They didn't know this was shining of radiation. they learned it on next day when evacuation began.

Heh, reminds me of that movie, threads.

Very scary, if the people who saw that explosion knew what it was....Hysteria.
Although we use Nuclear power and that in the UK, Chernobyl will be a constant reminded of how bigger disaster it would be if there was a terrorist attack or an accident at ANY of these stations.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Hmm, very incredible read and like many others remember when Chernobyl blew. At the time I really didn't give it much thought when "our protectors" said that we had nothing to worry about.

Having just read that I certainly wouldn't want to live near a reactor tho in this country I suspect that is a bit hard?

Does anyone have details of the size affected in comparision to the size of the UK?

Thanks for the link.

//
on a side note if people want it mirrored here we can do it
//

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Deebs said:
//
on a side note if people want it mirrored here we can do it
//

Sounds like a good idea!

About a year back I thought about chernoble and what it would be like now and how safe it would be with the radiation.

This has been a very interesting read and I would like to visit that place.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Deebs said:
Having just read that I certainly wouldn't want to live near a reactor tho in this country I suspect that is a bit hard?

Its pretty much impossible for such a thing to happen in this country, the safety controls are very stringent. I've only been in a Nuclear power station once (2 reactors somewhere near Preston, I can't remember the name), and it was bloody hard work I can tell you. The safety precautions are very strict, and security is very very tight. Saying that, we did enter a room that was previously flooded to a depth of about 0.5 metres, basically because somebody had replaced an old water pipe, and not replaced the section that was buried in the concrete floor. It eventually split at the junction. The water was in no way radioactive btw.

The Soviet nuclear industry was massively underfunded. Also, Chernobyl was a very different design to what we use, I think I remember correctly if I said that it was a routine test that caused the disaster? A combination of poor training and poor communication were to blame, as well as poor design and lack of proper maintainance.

Sissyfoo

Fledgling Freddie
I always wondered what the world would look like if humanity was suddenly wiped off the face of the planet. Those photos gave me a pretty good idea. :/

Very...unsettling.

Sharma

Can't get enough of FH
Aye it does give a fairly good idea, Just building on some Sci-fi ideas but say if we were driven to underground because of some gigantic nuclear/environmental disaster, i imagine that is how most of the world would look, very very unsettling idea.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Yeah but if it really happened, there would be zombies stumbling around, looking for live human flesh to eat. It happens in the movies, so it must be true!

Stazbumpa

Fledgling Freddie
Very, very freaky. I was reading it and looking at the pictures and all I could hear in my head was that tune from 28 Days Later.

Except this is the real thing.

gmloki

Part of the furniture
Very scary indeed. Imagine your car breaking down near there whilst you are alone at 3.00 in the morning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom