Chernobyl Aftermath (source: Slashdot)

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
Summo said:
That's fascinating! Great link. A professional photographer needs to get in there and explore. TdC? You're closest out of all of us...

Amazing. I'd go.

I'd rather not, but still would. I can remember it being in the news :(

RandomBastard

Can't get enough of FH
Did you see the documentary that was on about it a few weeks/months ago?
It was on the bbc and detailed what happened. What i can remember of it is below for those who can be arsed to read a longwinded splurg. It might not all be accurate as it is just my memories of this documentary.

The reactor that blew up (chernoble no4 reactor iirc) had never been safty tested (and I mean never). The soviet union at the time was desperate for power and the staff were ordered to start it without the important safty test. A year later they were given the ok to shut the reactor down to the levels needed for a safty check (i think it was something like 1/4 power) but it was cancelled at the last minute due to a problem at a coal powered powerstation and the reactors power was needed. Later that day during the night shift the test was eventually started, but it was done by a undertrained nightshift technician who shut the reactor down to far (soviet nuclear reactors were very unstable at low power levels dont know if the same is true for ours) and rather than shut it down entirly ( the reactor was still needed later on and the technician didint want trouble from his soviet masters ) and opened the reactor back up to full power. Now i cant remember when it was done but either before, or during the attempt at the test important safty protocols had been overridden and it was that fact combined with the unstability of the reactor when it had gone full power that caused the accident as the reactor cascaded and went into an unstopable chainreaction that caused the reactor to blow its top smearing the inside of the station with burning radioactive slag.

Athan

Resident Freddy
It would seem now that the "lone chick motorcyling around Chernobyl" angle is false:

chernobyl motorcycling fake!

Of course we only have THIS person's say-so on this side of things....

-Ath

G

CAN I JUST SAY

GGGGGLLLLLLLLLLLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEENNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

KAN posted this on irc months ago

Will

/bin/su
What is a Glen? The original link, posted here in March?

And this isn't IRC. Some of us don't even use IRC...like me. :p

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Will said:
What is a Glen? The original link, posted here in March?

And this isn't IRC. Some of us don't even use IRC...like me. :p

I dont use IRC either. I'm not sure how you view web sites via IRC anyway???

Driwen

Fledgling Freddie
dysfunction said:
I dont use IRC either. I'm not sure how you view web sites via IRC anyway???

he means that a link to the story was posted on irc months ago.

Doh_boy

Part of the furniture
Glen only really works if it was posted on here previously.

Will

/bin/su
Driwen said:
he means that a link to the story was posted on irc months ago.
It was posted here months ago too. But some people can't read dates correctly. :p

Driwen

Fledgling Freddie
Will said:
It was posted here months ago too. But some people can't read dates correctly. :p

but that the story was fake wasnt posted months ago, was it? Because I think Brooky called glen on that link (which it sort of wasnt as it wasnt posted on here yet).

Athan

Resident Freddy
Aye, some people need to pay attention when reading, rather than hair-triggering off on a "Glen!".

-Ath, not Glen

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom