Check out this signature....

Turamber

Part of the furniture
--- snip ---

Most Anti-Americanism is basic scapegoating, a way to claim intellectual and moral superiority over the lone superpower, to identify yourself as part of a resistance and provide some psychological linkage to the glory days of the old European empires. It's the rhetorical equivalent of asserting your masculinity. Anti-Americanism is how France, which has the GNP of Georgia, is able to still occupy a place on the world stage.

If Terrorists want sympathy, they'll find it between Sh** and Syphillus in the dictionary

Except for Gaining Independance, Ending Slavery, Defeating the Nazis and Liberating the Iraqis.... war has never solved anything.

--- snip ---

Unfortunately the last part of the signature, a little picture entitled Bush 04, didn't copy across. This taken from a poster on the official Planetside forum.

Thoughts or comments on this? Personally I found it offensive, but the Planetside moderators had mo problem with it... And no, I'm not French, I'm Georgian ;)

mank!

Part of the furniture
It didn't offend me, but it amused me.

Ono

Part of the furniture
Didn't offend me.

Mainly because I couldn't be arsed to read it.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Retarded obviously. The usual right-wing US "you don't do what we want so you're gay" logic.

NB. France has the 6th largest GNP in the world, California is the richest US state with the equivalent of the world's 12th largest GNP, so where that Georgia crap comes from. God knows.

I particularly liked the 'war is good for ending slavery bit'. Funny how the morally bankrupt Europeans managed to achieve it through public opinion decades before the Americans managed to achieve it through four years of bloody slaughter. Kind of sums it up really.

Cyfr

Banned
Dosnt offend me, makes me feel better, I'm English. :)

tRoG

Fledgling Freddie
How is that offensive? :p

Seems a bit silly to me.

Turamber

Part of the furniture
Maybe offensive is the wrong word. Offensive in an irritating, 'oh my god you stupid rednecks' sort of way. Also a little worrying if there are more Americans that think like that.

wyrd_fish

Fledgling Freddie
Turamber said:
Except for Gaining Independance, Ending Slavery, Defeating the Nazis and Liberating the Iraqis.... war has never solved anything.
:/

that's some slightly skrewey logic there... didn't the nazis start the war, and it didn't solve anything for them

it takes 2 to have a war

EDIT: i can't articulate what i'm trying to say properly... i'm still pissed... but at least i know what i mean :/

Danya

Fledgling Freddie
The level of ignorance some people display can be quite shocking.

GDW

Fledgling Freddie
He left out the bit about exploitation and massacration of the native american population and the financing of the IRA tbh

Tom

I am a FH squatter
wyrd_fish said:
That's some slightly skrewey logic there... didn't the nazis start the war, and it didn't solve anything for them

We were the ones to declare war, not the Nazis.

Turamber

Part of the furniture
Tom said:
We were the ones to declare war, not the Nazis.

Semantics, surely? Bit late in the day to debate the history of the second World War but Britain was obliged to come to the defence of France. The Nazi's knew this when their armies invaded France. The UK had taken an extremely passive approach to the Nazi threat prior to World War Two, one could argue that a stronger approach would have 'nipped it in the bud'.

Neville Chamberlain was a man of principal and a man of peace, however, and did all that he could to avoid war.

Custodian

Loyal Freddie
Not offensive. Just prattle. Already been torn to shreds by previous posters, so I'll just confirm it looks like stupid prattle.

Only shame is that there will always be some that read this kind of thing, go "oh, really... I didn't know that", and perhaps in some way be influenced by.

Can't stop people from having wrong opinions though. And if only fact was written on the internet what would we argue about ;)

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Turamber said:
Neville Chamberlain was a man of principal and a man of peace, however, and did all that he could to avoid war.

Its more likely he knew what a poor state this country was in, and did everything he could to appease Hitler, because he realised that the odds were against us. Many people at that time had memories of WW1, and didn't want another war.

Turamber

Part of the furniture
Correct me if I am wrong, but the UK had a defense pact with France and not Poland. I maybe confusing my wars however ;)

fatbusinessman

Fledgling Freddie
Turamber said:
Correct me if I am wrong

Ok ;)

Wikipedia said:
In 1939, Hitler laid claim to parts of Poland and concluded the Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact with the Soviet Union in response to Britain's and France's supportive defense alliance with Poland, of March 1939. The German Wehrmacht then invaded Poland on September 1, and on 3rd September, 1939, Britain and France declared war on Germany

(source)

Turamber

Part of the furniture
Ahh, those semantics are getting around again ;) So if somebody invades your ally (Poland) and you are legally (and possibly morally) obligated to go to war in their defence who is the aggressor? You for declaring war or the initial invader?

I would say the invader...

wyrd_fish

Fledgling Freddie
Custodian said:
Can't stop people from having wrong opinions
by definition an opinion can't be wrong :p

(sorry;))

Turamber said:
Ahh, those semantics are getting around again ;) So if somebody invades your ally (Poland) and you are legally (and possibly morally) obligated to go to war in their defence who is the aggressor? You for declaring war or the initial invader?

I would say the invader...
i would too

you can't go round invading people and not expect repercussions...

Driwen

Fledgling Freddie
Turamber said:
Correct me if I am wrong, but the UK had a defense pact with France and not Poland. I maybe confusing my wars however ;)

Britain declared war on germany in WW1 when they invaded Belgium iirc (so i think you were confusing wars;)).

And as it is an american saying it, germany declared war on the USA.
and war doesnt solve anything really, atm Iraq is just as free as it was under Saddam. I am not saying that it wont improve, just that the war itself only gave an opportunity to help the Iraqis.

Garaen

One of Freddy's beloved
The reason Britain tried as hard as they could to avoid conflict with Germany was because of the Policy of Appeasement, WW1 being so fresh in everyones mind they didn't want to attack Germany incase of WW2. (When Germany invaded Poland they didn't count on Britain coming to aid their ally)

Danya

Fledgling Freddie
Turamber said:
Semantics, surely? Bit late in the day to debate the history of the second World War but Britain was obliged to come to the defence of France. The Nazi's knew this when their armies invaded France. The UK had taken an extremely passive approach to the Nazi threat prior to World War Two, one could argue that a stronger approach would have 'nipped it in the bud'.
You could also argue that if the terms of the Treaty of Versailles weren't so harsh the Nazi party wouldn't have found such a large degree of support in Germany and the whole issue might never have come to pass. We'll never know for sure though.

Garaen

One of Freddy's beloved
I don't think it was just the ToV that created so much support for Hitler, there were so many factors contributing to the Nazi partys road to power (ToV/Post WW1 feeling/Economic Crisis/Weimar Republic etc etc) that i would argue Hitler was an oportunist and used the massive problems faced by Germany to gain support (The German people seeked an extreme party to solve their problems, and Hitler offerd simple solutions to difficult problems, on the surface that is, which appealed to most Germans)

mank!

Part of the furniture
Driwen said:
And as it is an american saying it, germany declared war on the USA.

Which is bizarre in it's own right because the main reason the US fully entered the war was because the Japanese attacked them at Pearl Harbour, so even by twisted American logic it was Japan who declared war on the USA.

I suspect this person also believes the USA saved Europe from the evil Nazi's and that without them we'd have lost the war.

Driwen

Fledgling Freddie
mank said:
Which is bizarre in it's own right because the main reason the US fully entered the war was because the Japanese attacked them at Pearl Harbour, so even by twisted American logic it was Japan who declared war on the USA.

I suspect this person also believes the USA saved Europe from the evil Nazi's and that without them we'd have lost the war.

I think you are misunderstanding (sp??) me
What I meant was as people were talking who declared who the war in WW2. I just stated that after Japs declared war on US (i think they did it just similar with pearl harbour and otherwise the attack was the declaration), the germans ALSO declared war on the US. Which indeed was kinda weird, as if germany hadnt done that maybe the US wouldnt have attacked them (yet) and that would have probably be in Germany's favour.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
mank said:

Then I think he would very likely be right, but we'll never know now.

mank!

Part of the furniture
Driwen said:
I think you are misunderstanding (sp??) me
What I meant was as people were talking who declared who the war in WW2. I just stated that after Japs declared war on US (i think they did it just similar with pearl harbour and otherwise the attack was the declaration), the germans ALSO declared war on the US. Which indeed was kinda weird, as if germany hadnt done that maybe the US wouldnt have attacked them (yet) and that would have probably be in Germany's favour.

I think I did misunderstand, sorry.

Paradroid

Fledgling Freddie
Turamber said:
--- snip ---

--- snip ---

heh

Comedy Gold.

Driwen

Fledgling Freddie
mank said:
I think I did misunderstand, sorry.

did some research to be sure my statement of germany declaring war on US was correct and found this it probably is true as it is the second site i found about it and I couldnt be arsed to actually look.
So in a way the US did declare war on both (by pushing japs into a spot were they "had to" and by making Hitler think the USA was weak). Off course the funny part is how this suddenly is done to help the sovjets and the fact that the Americans had to be tricked into both wars (vs japs and germany) so they were hardly willing to help us at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom