Cheats and bans

Aybabtu

Fledgling Freddie
Although i haven't been much active in this discussion i am glad to be albe to read this in the news at www.daoc-europe.com...

"Anti-radar
As you already know, fighting cheaters has always been a priority on DAoC servers. This week, almost a hundred players have been banned because they had used a "radar" type of third-party software, in clear violation of the rules accepted by all in the EULA.

The accounts concerned have been banned from the Dark Age of Camelot European servers once and for all. As a matter of fact, we continue our investigations. The fight against cheaters does not stop here.
Have a good game."

That'll teach them....

Eeben

Fledgling Freddie
cant wait for all the i quit because of irl treads :D

Nalistah

Fledgling Freddie
Only retards run around with radar nowadays. They will get caught sooner or later.

Eeben

Fledgling Freddie
goa should name an shame those fuckers that cheat imo

censi

Can't get enough of FH
if they say they banned 100 accounts they banned 100 accounts etc.

-. -.-- -.-.

Fledgling Freddie
If they say they landed on the moon they landed on the moon. Same thing. You can't say you've done something unless you've actually seen the proof. Also, 100 people, such a nice round number.

-. -.-- -.-.

Fledgling Freddie
Before you post some random site with a load of picture's of Neil and buzz playing twister or connect4 on the moon, they could have easily just been a set made by someone to give the illusion that they were on the moon, and the relevance to this ban news is that although you might say there is no relevance, the media used to prove they landed on the moon was thru televion, and goa's going thru a website, its no difference really. Call my bluff or your bluff, ace daytime t.v program. Has a woman called Sally.

400call_my_bluff.jpg

^ See!

liloe

It's my birthday today!
Eeben said:
goa should name an shame those fuckers that cheat imo

privacy etc.

But yer, it seems that there is one program where you have to pay for, which can't be detected with simple methods.

I think the problem lies in the way the code is transmitted to the user. We all know the well known "lag-inc" when the comp loads textures for incoming players and I think in the same way other players are sent to you before they reach clipping range. So if you get a program to analyze that code, you get a pretty simple radar proggy which should show the locs of everything around you in that maximum sending range. Having such a thing run on your harddrive might be easy to check but actually you could do many things to trick the whole thing, like run the parser on a unix machine besides you and send the information via SSH to a 3rd party onscreen program on your own machine. So the DAoC code could check incoming stuff for radar stuff, but it can't decode the SSH tunnel. In the same way the same code couldn't detect the onscreen 3rd party proggy, cause a lot of other programs do the same thing ( Fraps and TeamSpeak Overlay both create an overlay for DAoC and I wouldn't consider them cheats =)) ).

Well long story short. I'm not much into network programming, but I think it's not too hard to outtrick the general safety features when you know how to hide your code well.

That said I still think that radar users are sad people, if they have to rely on such methods to win and "I want to hide from fg's cause I solo" is the crappiest excuse I've ever heared, really.

Overall I must say that despite of some radar accusations I still enjoy the game "cheat-wise" as I think the EU servers are a lot cleaner than the US ones and I hope it stays like this and GOA does everything to remove these people from the game =)

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
I am quite confident that its a very small minority who do actually cheat, its also good to see (or so we are told) that a good proportion of them are getting banned. I very much doubt GOA/Mythics system catches 100% but lets hope its enough to scare people into stopping, if they made it public who they banned it would be even better. Actually they could just list it like.

1) RR10 Sorc
2) RR6 Bard
3) RR3 Ranger
4) RR8 Healer

etc etc

That would probably be enough for people to know who has been banned without actually giving out names etc.

liloe

It's my birthday today!
yer, it would be nice to know it, but the problem is the privacy rule. It works the same way that the police won't hang out who they caught today. Sounds strange as comparision, but I'm glad we handle it like this in Europe =)) ( that doesn't imply that I would've ever been on such a list, hihi =)) )

Aloca

Fledgling Freddie
The accounts always been a property of GOA, you only renting it. posting the names of the lvl 60s on the accounts should be possible. not that its going to happen but still.

Mey

Part of the furniture
liloe said:
yer, it would be nice to know it, but the problem is the privacy rule. It works the same way that the police won't hang out who they caught today. Sounds strange as comparision, but I'm glad we handle it like this in Europe =)) ( that doesn't imply that I would've ever been on such a list, hihi =)) )

Actually in our local paper there is a list of people who have appeared in court.

Messiah

Fledgling Freddie
thx god Goa have taken a finger out of there Ass and doing something about this radar using Nobs its pathetic hopefully wont see some names on alb/exal for a while who use it same goes for mid and hib :)

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
small reminder of the "no radar/cheating accusations" sticky thread.

Anyone else posting accusations gets a whack from my moderation stick (ooer matron).

Feel free to admit yer a radaring cheating scumbag (and don't think about creating a fake account to do so - not funny, k?)

Bracken

Fledgling Freddie
Anyone else find it annoying they say "cheaters" instead of "cheats"? It sounds so... American :(

Olgaline

FH is my second home
Aloca said:
The accounts always been a property of GOA, you only renting it. posting the names of the lvl 60s on the accounts should be possible. not that its going to happen but still.

someones been playing to much wow ? ;)

and yes nice to see cheaters getting the stick.! and better yet perma banend instead of the 3-7day slaps..altho server numbers are low, we'r all better off without them, :clap:

Deadnala

Fledgling Freddie
Nice of goa to actualy do something about radar users, i hope they start to ban windowdragers soon aswell coz they start to anoi me tbh.

Kaun_IA

Fledgling Freddie
Deadnala said:
Nice of goa to actualy do something about radar users, i hope they start to ban windowdragers soon aswell coz they start to anoi me tbh.

windowdragging was fixed a few patches back, if im not correct

Leathas

Fledgling Freddie
you can still window drag.even on a geforce 7800x2(SLI) and AMD FX-55 system.

wow,what the fuck did you write in window movement code :eek:

Kaun_IA

Fledgling Freddie
ok, i was worng then :twak:

never tryd to windowdrag or even dont know how to. dont even care

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
1 or 2 casters are getting quite good at the new window dragging.

Konah

Fledgling Freddie
well i've seen definate radar abuse in the last couple weeks. sadly from albions aswell as "enemies" so it'll be interesting to see if those ppl disappear... obviously they found a radar the makers believed couldnt be detected, lets hope the makers were wrong:kissit:

rampant

Can't get enough of FH
Raven said:
1 or 2 casters are getting quite good at the new window dragging.

they were exhibiting their l33t skillz at glenlock last night.....

liloe

It's my birthday today!
Flimgoblin said:
small reminder of the "no radar/cheating accusations" sticky thread.

Anyone else posting accusations gets a whack from my moderation stick (ooer matron).

Feel free to admit yer a radaring cheating scumbag (and don't think about creating a fake account to do so - not funny, k?)

What is the criterium for getting my posts edited Flim? =) or wasn't that you?

Gear

Can't get enough of FH
liloe said:
What is the criterium for getting my posts edited Flim? =) or wasn't that you?

My post was deleted too, all i said was that someone mentioned is not a radar user judging by our encounters :(

Hence I'd say that the criteria used are name+radar in a post.

liloe

It's my birthday today!
Gear said:
My post was deleted too, all i said was that someone mentioned is not a radar user judging by our encounters :(

Hence I'd say that the criteria used are name+radar in a post.

I said no name at all =)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom