Cheap class for total Newb

Nine

Fledgling Freddie
Hi,
Finally decided to try daoc after years of other MMO's and I wish I'd tried it before because I'm now hooked.
I know the game is very mature now and I have no delusions of ever getting up there with the big boys (especially after what I've read about artifacts and extended camping and all that) so i just want to PVE a bit for fun and see how it goes.

What class would you recommend as being cheap to run and able to solo fairly well ?
Usually seems the case that casters are cheap in most games so I assumed same in here.

I made an Alb account on the 14 day trial and tried a couple of classes - necro bored me but cabalist seemed like it could be fun.

Any recommendations ?
I don't mind which realm but would probably prefer an underdog one ;)

remi

Fledgling Freddie
for pve, make a necro if you want a "caster-type", or a paladin if you want a tank thing.

Or a cabalist!

edit: alb is NOT a underdog, on any english servers, hib realm is consdered underdog on pryd, and mid on excal ( dunno how..)

Lakashnik

Fledgling Freddie
mid BD are by far the easiest... not played much pve. but basically get to lvl 18 suppresion when u get ur healer pet... along with ur 3seconds insta lifetaps u dont die. altho dunno if they are strictly casters tbh
cabby are fun for alb. i prefer theurg etc.
not played many casters asi prefer good ole fun fun with melee classes (paladin ftw!)
but hibbie is the underdof realm cos of lack of people altho enchanters as i have seen can farm like biches and kick some arse.
but this is jsut me. imo wait fora user who has played a caster properly as i have only tinkerd around.
either that or make a good ole paladin... i wub mine to bits even if he suxor RvR pretty much.

Ilum

Can't get enough of FH
If you just want an easy PvE char necro is twice as good as any other top choice - does well without good gear, can solo excellent - and is a great pve char at all levels.

Midgard/Hibernia dont have the same obvious PvE choices really. Maybe a spiritmaster on Midgard, and Enchanter on hib...or warrior/hero if you want a tank.

Sycho

Can't get enough of FH
Alb: friar/necro.
Mid: warrior/cave shaman.
Hib: mentalist.

remi

Fledgling Freddie
mid: bd for sure..
hib: animist for sure
alb : necro.

dont listen to above posters, specially sycho and ilum, they dont know jack shit xD

Lakashnik

Fledgling Freddie
remi said:

dont listen to above posters, specially sycho and ilum, they dont know jack shit xD

he he either he 4got my name or i know sum1 called jack shit... i know a guy called jack... dunno wht his last name is tho.... hmmm i shall investigate!

Ilum

Can't get enough of FH
jack shit...must be related to remish anyway :p

animist is a sucky pve class remi if you start at low lvl's ... even at lvl 50, it's been hammered with nerfs and is only half decent...enchanter with focus shield or mentalist for charming pets is a lot more useful for most people

remi

Fledgling Freddie
Old.Ilum said:
jack shit...must be related to remish anyway :p

animist is a sucky pve class remi if you start at low lvl's ... even at lvl 50, it's been hammered with nerfs and is only half decent...enchanter with focus shield or mentalist for charming pets is a lot more useful for most people

you mean 15 limit thing? just make higher lvl pets instead....still easy..

Sycho

Can't get enough of FH
remi said:

Played all 3 realms and rvred in all 3 for 3 years nearly, so no.

Animist with mass downtime, necro is good, bd will have downtime too.

I rather "know jackshit" than be full of shit though xD

Ilum

Can't get enough of FH
remi said:
you mean 15 limit thing? just make higher lvl pets instead....still easy..

nope, that was ages ago...talking about the fop nerf and the hitpoint nerf on shrooms...

cheap and easy class for noobs...well, dunno about pve, cause im guessing remish is getting pl'ed, but infiltrator, savage, and runemaster has worked nicely for him so you can consider those as well! (mind you he did roll these chars while they were a bit more overpowered than they are atm)

Xeanor

Fledgling Freddie
hmm... this is the newbies forum and remi was the first to post... didn't expect different from him really.

Funkybunny

Banned
any defensive tank-class is a good class to start with.

alb: paladin
mid: warrior
hib: hero

tbh i would reccomend hero, because every 15 mins or so (dont remember the right amount of minutes) you can change into a MOOSE! and they are so cute! especially the little ones! :D

Danya

Fledgling Freddie
remi said:
edit: alb is NOT a underdog, on any english servers, hib realm is consdered underdog on pryd, and mid on excal ( dunno how..)
Hib is underdog on both actually.

Herjulf

Banned
Nine said:
What class would you recommend as being cheap to run and able to solo fairly well ?

You picked the right realm if ure a noob, youll feel right at home.
Sorc.. is pretty easymode i heard.
But Reaver and Merc is pretty nice tankwise.

Jaem-

Can't get enough of FH
VW are pretty cheap to equip also and perform pretty ok, as well as handle the FOTM archer problem alil if you do choose to RvR later :)

Clipz

Fledgling Freddie
Hi,

I'm a noob aswell and I went for Cabalist. Its been fun so far to lvl 10...put your points in body till lvl 5 then everything into spirit till about lvl 20 then respec if you want. My buffed pet can take down no agro red mobs solo without to much hassle. If you get adds leave him and run :)

Look me up in game for a group anytime. My toon name is Grimill

The only downside to this game so far has been finding groups so I'm always up for forming one :)

Cheers

Nine

Fledgling Freddie
Thanks for all your advice. :)
I''ve decided to go try Cabalist and Bonedancer.

Clipz what server you on ?

"You picked the right realm if ure a noob, youll feel right at home. "
Hehe - well I hadn't decided on a realm until now. I picked Alb at random on a 14 day trial (on US server).
Now I got the full Euro version of game.

raid

Can't get enough of FH
just looking at the topic only one class comes to mind: bd ;)

Clipz

Fledgling Freddie
Nine said:
Thanks for all your advice. :)
I''ve decided to go try Cabalist and Bonedancer.

Clipz what server you on ?

"You picked the right realm if ure a noob, youll feel right at home. "
Hehe - well I hadn't decided on a realm until now. I picked Alb at random on a 14 day trial (on US server).
Now I got the full Euro version of game.

I'm on Excal m8 should be on later if your around :)

Skrad

Fledgling Freddie
Well, if you're looking for a character that is great fun to play and has decent solo potential, I suggest you try a thane. You've got self buffs on strength/con and a self damage add, great fighting ability against mobs, instant and castable single target and AoE spells and Slam when you get to 42 shield. The lightning spells give you the advantage over pure melee classes when it comes to pulling aggressive mobs into combat as you're not getting so up close and personal risking a mass body pull.

Give it a go, you've nothing to lose :)
Feel free to contact me if you want any more help with the art of thanology.

Cirandi

One of Freddy's beloved
I killed a 50 thane in DF with my rejuv cleric a while ago Oo

Lakashnik

Fledgling Freddie
lol i really think people need to stop bitching @ people and jsut giv their opinions.
cos really this is the newb forum not the whine/flame forum.
and makea paladin. they roxor pve tanks :) always wanted in grps to hold agro to :p
but anyway thats just cos i wub my ickle pally wally ever so much

Tizu

Fledgling Freddie
Thane best PvE (tank) for mid, Darkness Spec Spiritmaster (mage) best PvE mid.

Dont know much about the other two realms but I know that Necros are good fast levelers (hardly any time resting for power due power tap spell.)

Paladins good PvE tank class , has many "Chants" i.e Heal,End,Dmg Add,AF Shield. Also has some pulsing resists. Not forgetting Rezz.

For Hib Id say Champions would be the best PvE tank, The best PvE Mage I could think of would be a Animist, (The Animist is able to summon "Mushroom" looking creatures which stay where they are summoned).

Hope this help.

Cozak

Part of the furniture
Cirandi said:
I killed a 50 thane in DF with my rejuv cleric a while ago Oo

Not hard to kill afk ppl :p

edit: uber avatar Jaem- :D

Smilewhenyousaythat

Fledgling Freddie
if you want low cost then necro is the cheapest you'll find. Good PvE, not so hot endgame. and once you've played one in PvE you'll be disgusted at how slow and costly the other chars are.

Paladin is good - but plate costs, and as a tank you have to have decent equipment.

Ilum

Can't get enough of FH
necro is the fastest leveller and is also one of the classes thats absolutely top notch to bring you through ToA as fast as possible when that times comes :p

Morchaoron

Fledgling Freddie
the necro is one of the classes that gets the most out of a buffbot ;o
(the class which gets most out of it is a minstrel with a level 60 pet ofc :p )

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom