cdrom/scsi/backup drive problem

Tom

I am a FH squatter
error.jpg

For some stupid reason, this has happened. I can't get Windows XP to recognize the bottom devices properly, even though they all worked perfectly until recently.

I cannot perform a backup etc, until this is resolved, and the usual uninstall/reinstall bollox doesn't work either :(

Any ideas?

Insane

Wait... whatwhat?
uuhm, uninstall the virtual cdrom software :confused:
(need a better confused smilie ffs)

i stuck alcohol 52% onto my box with an adaptec 29160 scsi card and it threw a wobbler at me for it because it kept intercepting the scsi communications.

thats all i can think of about now :(

Zephirus

Fledgling Freddie
quick no brainer, but try reseating cables and check the termination.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
hmmm I didnt think I had a simulation thingy on it!

*looks*

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Well, I think it was CDRwin doing that emulation thing. Anyway, I removed it, and the other scsi adaptor (I have only the adaptec in my box), and I still have this problem. Is reinstalling xp the only realistic way to fix it?

I can't write any cdrs either while its like this :(

Insane

Wait... whatwhat?
might be worthwhile checking you dont have any services attached to the emulator still running, sometimes those load rogue driver files that play havoc with systems (zonelabs truevector service anyone?)

i doubt it would be anything that drastic to make you rebuild, clearly its not affecting the actual scsi disks themselves which points right back to a rogue driver still lurking.. you could go through every file in windows\system32\drivers and check each one off with an item on your computer, but that does take a while.

might even be worth checking the add/remove programs in case its still got something installed like the emulation part of cdrwin itself disguised under a different name.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Thx insane. ITs not a hardware problem, as they all work (the cd devices will happily play stuff, and the tape drive will rewind/eject etc). Its a software problem somewhere, I reckon CDRwin has buggered something up.

I might reinstall it and see if that clears it.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I just reinstalled CDRwin without rebooting, and noticed that it wouldn't run because it couldn't detect an ASPI driver (will probably work when rebooted)

So, would this driver at all interfere with Window's detection of these devices? AFAIK, ASPI drivers are mainly DOS affairs?

Danya

Fledgling Freddie
ASPI drivers are windows affairs, you need them for accessing CD drives and such directly for burning and ripping.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
well well, I reinstall CDRwin, and the CDr/w starts recording stuff again

*suspicious*

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Its definitely CDRwin doing it, its left behind some gay aspi drivers that I'm trying to remove manually. An Adaptec utility told me that it didn't recognise any ASPI drivers, which is odd, seeing as I have an Adaptec card.

*struggles*

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom