CD Protection - Way around it?

Sissyfoo

Fledgling Freddie
Hi,

Bought myself a CD today and I tried to convert the songs to MP3 so I could listen to the album later on using my ipod ~drool~ but those ***** at the RIAA won't let me!

Is there a way around this? It can't be illegal to want to listen to your music on MP3. ~rolls eyes in disgust at the RIAA~

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

Xtro

One of Freddy's beloved
I use CDex

at work atm so cant provide a link

Sissyfoo

Fledgling Freddie
Thanks. I'll have a scoot around the web for it. :)

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
Please be very careful about what you post here.

Kind Regards

Jonty

P.S. Yes, in some instances it is prohibited to make copies of material even for your own personal, private use.

Sissyfoo

Fledgling Freddie
Yea, normally I wouldn't ask how to do something naughty but I was 100% convinced that something like this could not be illegal. :)

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Jonty said:
Please be very careful about what you post here.

Kind Regards

Jonty

P.S. Yes, in some instances it is prohibited to make copies of material even for your own personal, private use.

Thing is, that in itself (IMO) breaks the current laws surrounding copyright, namely that you have the right to make a copy for your own personal use.

Xtro

One of Freddy's beloved
I pay for my albums. I am however majorly fucked off that because of record companies I still have to go and download some albums that I have ALREADY PAID FOR. Grrr!

Meanwhile Johnny Pirate just downloads it happily and doesn't give a fuck. Supposed copy protection just hurts the people who pay for CD's, same with games there's been so many laughable attempts at copy protection (genloks, code wheels, turn to page 79 insert word 12 yadda yadda yadda) but the pirates just install a crack and away they go.

Anyway rant over, Jonty my old china you are only doing your job matey and none of this is aimed at you! :D

wyrd_fish

Fledgling Freddie
i read somewhere* that a game (can't remember which) wouldn't install if there where any CD copying programs installed on your system...

i thought it was a little redundant as to copy the game wouldn't require the installing of the game, it'll only piss off legitamate users of CDR software

*PCF i think...

RandomBastard

Can't get enough of FH
DISCLAIMER This information allows you freedom of media only, it is not for being naughty and stealing teh music.

If its one of the modern copyprotected disks, its done by having an invalid product descriptor, this is actually technically illegal seeing as the cd then doenst conform to red book specs, hence isnt a cd and cant be sold as such. The way to get around it, is to image the cd in something like clonecd and then rip the cd. (i cant remember the exact format you use, but its the audio or data template iirc.)

If this post is unacceptable my friendly mods then feel free to edit it.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
That's entirely correct. The way you do it is to use clone CD to copy the CD selecting "Audio CD" when it asks what type. Then there's an option to only rip the audio section, as the copy protection data is stored in another part of the cd. That's why CD players don't have a problem, because they don't read that data. Copy it without that, then you have a normal CD with just the audio and you can do what you like with it. It's true, all this copy protection bollocks hurts the paying customer, not the mp3 pirate.

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
While I'm as outraged as anyone else over the recent emergence of copy-protection on Audio CD's, I'm going to have to ask you guys to be slightly careful not about what you write, but how... Bear in mind that whatever your put on these forums is technically considered 'published' and I for one don't like the idea of suits beating on my door having been deemed responsible for providing a guide to circumventing copy protection, illegal or not.

If at all possible, in the future consider providing a linky to an external site with such "informative information". That way if anyone does object we won't be the ones getting bitch-slapped.

Xav

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
Hi guys

Don't worry, I wasn't getting at any of you, far from it, I just don't want anyone getting unnecessarily banned :)

Kind Regards

.Wilier.

One of Freddy's beloved
Xavier said:
.......... If at all possible, in the future consider providing a linky to an external site with such "informative information". That way if anyone does object we won't be the ones getting bitch-slapped.

Xav

With that in mind, might I suggest This place Im *told* that it is a usefull resource.

sibanac

Fledgling Freddie
Sissyfoo said:
Hi,

Bought myself a CD today and I tried to convert the songs to MP3 so I could listen to the album later on using my ipod ~drool~ but those ***** at the RIAA won't let me!

Is there a way around this? It can't be illegal to want to listen to your music on MP3. ~rolls eyes in disgust at the RIAA~

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

only one thing to do, take the cd back, get your money back.
Mail the band and publisher that you wont buy any off their stuff aslong as they try to rip you off with broken cd's

Shovel

Can't get enough of FH
Tom said:
Thing is, that in itself (IMO) breaks the current laws surrounding copyright, namely that you have the right to make a copy for your own personal use.
Actually you don't. Free Use is a US law and doesn't, contrary to popular belief, have a UK equivilent.
The tolerance of home taping and VCRs by the UK industry implies some form of discretional fair use (though presumably not so far that it harms any future fire sharing law suits).

With regards to copy controlled CDs: There're various documented software ways around it, but they are never 100% sure. Much of it comes down to your brand/model of CD drive. DVD drives will have an utter, utter fit over them. CD-RW drives are variable: I have a new Lite-On 525232 model and copy may as well not be there - I can put the CD in and actually play it as normal in iTunes or anything, no ripping or copying needed at all. I can rip it into my MP3 jukeboxorama just fine too.
In comparison, my old drive (321210 Creative model) couldn't do it at all. Even trying the CloneCD methodology it still maintain the pops and clicks trademarked by the CCShite.

My personal recommendation is to try it in a CD-RW drive first, and if there's no luck check for a fireware upgrade for said drive. If that still doesn't work, consider the £35 for a new drive - basically, it's kept me buying music. Also, the sheer speed of a 52x drive will blow your socks off - 700MB CD in 2m10s, yes please :)

Will

/bin/su
Just further to Shovel's post, I have an old LiteOn CD-RW, and it just ignores all copy protection, as do my two LiteOn DVD drives.:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom