CD Player for your car?

Gray

FH is my second home
What makes/models would you guys recommend, which are decent and stylish?

I dont wanna really pay over £100, but i may stretch it if its worthit to around £150.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
What radio do you have in yours at the moment?

If you want to replace the head unit (presumably because your current head unit won't support a boot-mounted multi-disc changer), then I would recommed a front loading mp3 player. There are plenty around, do a quick search on google. You'll get one for less than £150, easy.

My recommendations are:

Big chunky buttons
Mp3 cd compatible
Good radio reception
No flashing light bollocks
Security panel etc

Don't bother with DAB, its shite. FM is better quality.

SawTooTH

Can't get enough of FH
A mate of mine showed me his iPod mp3 player recently (prob too expensive for you & me) that had an fm radio transmitter module attached. He basically tuned his car radio in to it so he could play his mp3s. Now that was a cool idea.

Gray

FH is my second home
Well, its going to be for my new car (Planning ahead ;)), but when i did a test drive i noticed that it was a Cassette Radio, not CD player.

The one i have in my current car now is ok, but it will be staying in the car when i "move on" so im gonna need a new one

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Chances are you'll need to put in good speakers front and back too, otherwise you'll have a nice CD player outputting nice quality sound into some lovely furry, dirty, dusty old, unresponsive speakers that crumble at any sign of bass.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Audis generally arrive with Blaupunkt stereos, the head unit will be a bit shite (a friend had an Audi 90), but the speakers will be quite good, they tend to be well-specced.

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
http://www.caraudiodirect.com for some decent prices - choose the applicable price range. I have a pioneer head unit, sounds fantastic although it doesn't read MP3s (there is an updated version that does now).

Also look out the correct ISO block (Halfords do these) for connecting the Audi wiring loom to the head unit loom.

An example unit may be http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/pro...=2950&osCsid=b6ae20d1f31feaca89aadf41a6f90d5a for £100. However, as someone said above, you'll wanna up the speakers to go with the CD player if they are crummy and old.

G

Hashmonster

Fledgling Freddie
defo try for a mp3 unit - i have 180 tracks on one of mine, saves having lots of cd's rolling around in the car

Talyn

Can't get enough of FH
I got a nice Goodmans (I know, an oxymoron!) from Halfords for £80 just after chrimble.

MP3, CD, traffic report thingy, pretty graphic display and removable front jobbie. Not a bad bit of kit for less than a ton...

Gray

FH is my second home
I do feel like getting a Sony, but because i am gettin the car in a few weeks, im not going to rush because theres no need to..

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I was in Halfords today (installing new car phone kit), the stereos in there are all utter crap. I can't imagine trying to drive and (without looking) reaching down to select a particular function.

You'd have to be a psychic midget with matchstick fingers to operate them. You'd also need a medical certificate stating that you didn't have epilepsy before you purchased some of them.

If you want to see how a car stereo should be, take a peek inside the new Volvos, whacking great big knobs and buttons etc.

Panda On Smack

Can't get enough of FH
Gray likes a big knob

Seriously though, go HD if you can. Far better than burning CD's all the time.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Their speakers are ropey, the head units are excellent tho. Not always the last word in cutting edge design but normally decent enough units. I'd go with Kenwood tho, I've always found them to make the best ICE.

And this thread looks like a perfect opportunity to show off my toy :) I picked up one of these from caraudiodirect for £199. Not bad for a unit advertised for £399 in my local Halfords.

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=1993

It's gone back up to 240 now but it is still an excellent buy. The motorised front panel is sweeeeeeeet, and it really is a doddle to use unless you're a complete spastic.

Gray

FH is my second home
im looking at buying a "Kenwood Z838W"...

Kenwood-Z838W.jpg

It retails at around £350 or more, but im tryin to get for under £150....

Anyone think its a good buy?

---

o Full colour fine-dot fluorescent display
o Code security system with flashing LED warning
o MP3 playback with ID3-tag information display
o Ability to playback WMA files at up to 192kbps
o Display auto-dimmer
o Rotary volume control
o CD-R / CD-RW compatible
o 4 x 50 Watts max power (4 x 28W RMS)
o Compatible with Kenwood CD changers (option)
o Complete with hand-held remote control
o Three RCA preouts (4.5V) for connecting external amplifiers (with non-fading option)
o Head unit control of external amplifiers (PS series amps)
o Internal amplifier can be muted if external amplifier is preferred
o CD Text from head unit or compatible changer
o RDS (radio data service) & EON (extended other networks) tuner
o Radio text display
o Dual-zone audio option
o Two way telephone mute
o Memory calendar
----

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Call me old fashioned, but why the huge display? Have you no windscreen?

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
he's hoping that one day they'll release a compatible version of Quake :p

]SK[

One of Freddy's beloved
I brought one of these. Its pretty good and made a real difference in my car. At first I thought my speakers were just crap but the quality has doubled it seems.

Hashmonster

Fledgling Freddie
Big G said:

basically what bodhi said - just not rated really.

Check the audio forums around and learn more, dont get me wrong their home electrical stuff is a different league of course :D

Gray

FH is my second home
*BUMP*

Since its been a year, i did get a CD player which has probably met its maker due to a part breaking off.

Im bored of having to piss about trying to fix the clip, specially in the dark, so im gonna just shell out on a new one.

Ive been thinking hard since the past post, and i remembered the dejavue but i couldnt delete the thread, im willing to up my stake in CD player to an extra £50 maybe, so price range is £50.

Now with this MP3 player.. Does that mean i could play a whole CD of MP3s? (ie 700+mb) or just the standard 20 odd MP3s? As its been a year surely some of the prices have been knocked down, was lookng on CAD.com but still looks foreign to me.. :p

Gray

FH is my second home
hmmm £200ish? is a bit more than i would ave liked to have paid ;o

]SK[

One of Freddy's beloved
Ive got a Sony CDX-MP40. Thats plays MP3's via CD's. Yes a cd full of MP3's. Shame I cant use the stereo anymore. Damn stupid Audi :( Mind you ive found I can make do with an iPod and an iTrip

.Wilier.

One of Freddy's beloved
Ive got a Sony CDX r 3300 in my Clio and a F7700 in the TT, all using Mission speakers and crossovers.

Very, very good imho.

.Wilier.

One of Freddy's beloved
.Wilier. said:
Ive got a Sony CDX r 3300 in my Clio and a F7700 in the TT, all using Mission speakers and crossovers.

Very, very good imho.

Sorry, scratch that, theyre not mission, but Infinity.......dont know what I was thinking of there :eek:

Gray

FH is my second home
Hmm the Kenwood KDCW6027 is looking like a strong contender at the moment, will be thinking about getting it ina few days once payments from Paypal go into my bank account so got a good few days left before i decide.

Maybe a Sony CDX too... gahhh head wrecker ;o

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Does anyone know if a car stereo exists that lets you play DVD's filled with mp3's. Given that dvd readers are so cheap nowadays, dvd burners are very common and mp3 playing devices seem to be becoming popular - it seems to be something that might be useful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom